Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 minutes ago, p a p i said:

This shit is crazy. I wonder. Will Blue Beetle get canceled? I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel everything after The Flash and they use it to FULLY reboot the DCEU. 

They canned two direct to streaming films, they won't cancel Blue Beetle or any WB film that's currently in production for a theatrical release. 

6 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

GOT had many tv show ideas after the ending. They were not going to go ahead with all of them. So cancelling the only 1 they were going to do after it cost 35M would have been controversial. However they had I think 3 they were looking into. House of Dragons is the 1 they chose. 

In any case, they spent too much on Bloodmoon so cancelation was a shock. If they had reasonable budget for that and the rest and picked Dragon than 1 show cancelation wouldn't have raised eyebrows. But the budget raised eyebrows and it does for Batgirl. It's a mid budget but that they are shelving it completely, not even streaming is what puzzles the industry. 

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

@HouseOfTheSun was right!

Damn Mr. Unscripted (Zaslav) making quick work of destroying Warner, who would have thought AT&T would be the more competent parent company.

I just hope the destruction is so quick that they sell Warner again within the next couple of years if this drags out I fell it will be painful to watch a once great company completely hollowed out.

Although Warner has already been through a handful of different owners in the last couple of decades and all have failed so maybe they will end up selling piecemeal (HBO, Warner, DC, Gaming etc.) as it is possible no one will want the full entity. 

This is next level even for me lol. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine the question is how bad was the final film for WB to can it rather than Zaslav will axe all WB films in production which seems to be the mindset of certain people.

I have no horse in this race but it seems to me that some fans don't want to believe that Batgirl was so bad the studio would rather can it than try to get some money back with streaming release. So my guess is that in "brand pollution vs we fucked up but we can recoup some of the investment through streaming" dilemma they picked to protect the brand. Doesn't mean Zaslav isn't evil. He even has Bond villain name. :lol:

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

The rumor is DiscoveryPlus will now be the lead, and HBOMax will merge into it, and be a new HBO streaming service.  So, most of the HBOMax folks would be eliminated as scripted programs move to HBO and Discovery manages all the "just for the streaming service" stuff...

It's definitely a Chapek type move - looking at the worldwide economy and the coming energy disaster in Europe and deciding streaming services might be 1st to go, so time to go really lean and get the price lower (or at least not rising)...

I’m not really seeing how this is a Chapek move at all. Chapek has done nothing but expand outside the classic Disney brands. In fact that’s what he and Iger were at odds about originally. He’s pushed Hulu, Star, FX to the moon. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine the question is how bad was the final film for WB to can it rather than Zaslav will axe all WB films in production which seems to be the mindset of certain people.

If it really does stay under wraps. the urban legends about it will grow. It will be the new "The Day The Clown Cried".

• Like 1

Zaslev does that 

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Zaslev does that, he won't be around very long.

There are going to be fewer films produced at Warners. Zalsev clearly thinks previous management green lit many projects that should not have been greenlit and he will ..and has..cancelled some of them. But he is not going to scrap the whole schedule.

• Like 2

After paying down debt, Zaslav is going to use Warner cash flow to expand Discovery’s content and either cut down Warner to the bare essentials or at the very least never expand beyond what it currently is. HBO max overseas has been halted, Originals slashed, TNT/TBS programming cut, CNN+ shut down immediately…anything on the Warner side that requires an investment to expand is gone. All of that goes to discovery. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

David Zaslav would probably freak out about how much a potential future Justice League movie would cost and just can the idea

I think it would have be a really good script that is for sure given how the last one did.

But a new JL film is years away. I think DC has learned it's lesson abut trying to jump start a universe.

But I get why Zaslev is already so hated here; he is going to kill  lot of projects that fhe fanboys love but the GA probably won't care about.

Just now, dudalb said:

Zaslev does that, he won't be around very long.

There are going to be fewer films produced at Warners. Zalsev clearly thinks previous management green lit many projects that should not have been greenlit and he will ..and has..cancelled some of them. But he is not going to scrap the whole schedule.

I think they're aiming to replicate Disney's fewer, bigger, better strategy with the focus on having three divisions consisting of WB/New Line, DC and Warner Animation. 

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

After paying down debt, Zaslav is going to use Warner cash flow to expand Discovery’s content and either cut down Warner to the bare essentials or at the very least never expand beyond what it currently is. HBO max overseas has been halted, Originals slashed, TNT/TBS programming cut, CNN+ shut down immediately…anything on the Warner side that requires an investment to expand is gone. All of that goes to discovery. 

They're not going to get rid of the Warner side, that's just stupid. 

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

If you are right, Which is putting all the eggs in one basket...maybe not a good move.

Warners is in trouble because previsou management greenlit projects that shuld not have been greenlit. Zslev was brought in to correct that. Of course there is a danger he could  go too far. But whatever previous management was doing, it was not working.

I would not be surprised if other studios begin to retrench and cut costs. That a recession seems to be on it's way will just add to that.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

If you are right, Which is putting all the eggs in one basket...maybe not a good move.

Warners is in trouble because previsou management greenlit projects that shuld not have been greenlit. Zslev was brought in to correct that. Of course there is a danger he could  go too far. But whatever previous management was doing, it was not working.

I would not be surprised if other studios begin to retrench and cut costs. That a recession seems to be on it's way will just add to that.

Truthfully it’s a pretty low risk basket. Discovery content is cheap and relatively profitable. But you’re right a lot of Warner projects for the last 10-15 years have been indulgent artistic projects that are not good investments that very few people end up caring about. I’m guessing the days of Warner handing out cash for those movies is done. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I wonder what’s gonna happen 5 years from now when that fails. 

Unless you have a crystal ball then you cannot say it will fail. 

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Cutting back doesn't mean going all in on unscripted. The way people go on you'd think WBD was going to axe anything scripted which isn't the case.