A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Gewara presales
Interstellar : 2815    +1085 in 4.5 hours

Any updates on Kung Fu Jungle? Only local production that has a legit chance of 100million Yuen. But no mention in your estimates.

It stars Donnie Yen, who will be in crouching tiger and hidden dragon 2, which will be released in IMAX theaters in US next August.

Any updates on Kung Fu Jungle? Only local production that has a legit chance of 100million Yuen. But no mention in your estimates.

It stars Donnie Yen, who will be in crouching tiger and hidden dragon 2, which will be released in IMAX theaters in US next August.

¥8.2M Sunday,¥102M total to date.

Even though it did pass 100 million yuan, Kung Fu Jungle's box office performance has been quite disappointing, considering Special ID made 155 million yuan last year, and even Iceman made 140 million yuan earlier this year.  I think the distributor wanted/expected at least 200-300 million yuan for Kung Fu Jungle, especially for a major film of this kind of budget.  

Edited by Ay72998

Even though it did pass 100 million yuan, Kung Fu Jungle's box office performance has been quite disappointing, considering Special ID made 155 million yuan last year, and even Iceman made 140 million yuan earlier this year.  I think the distributor wanted/expected at least 200-300 million yuan for Kung Fu Jungle, especially for a major film of this kind of budget.  

That's very true. But the release date is the deciding factor, with only 18% of screens on its release date compared to 28% for Special ID and Iceman who has more than 30%, its earnings are considered impressive i guess.

Special ID only had to deal with the wolverine, which has been leaked... huge piracy issues way before China release. Iceman was release near the public holidays of May in China.

Kung Fu Jungle was expected to earn at least 200million yuen, when it was first announced, but maze runner, lucy and TMNT popped up from nowhere, and took away 60percent of the screens.

Outside of China,  It reportedly broke many of Donnie Yen's previous OW, best OW for him in 4 years here in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong... so i guess it probably isn't a total flop. Last weekend it had to deal with interstellar in these asian markets(other than China), so it will be interesting to see its 2nd weekend percentage drop.

It is the only local production in China which can earn over 100 million yuen with such a bad release date. Reviews are pretty good though, 7.6 on IMDB.   Gewara 8.3/10

Don't go break my heart 2 will probably earn less than 100million yuen, depending on how much interstellar affects it one day after its release.

For Love & Money probably earns less than 80 million yuen

Edited by TigerPaw

Is it true that Kung Fu Jungle's budget is around $25mil?

Probably around there or even higher. I have no idea whether people outside Asia knows Donnie Yen, but here in Asia he is one of the foremost action star, his box office results in South East Asia, on average in the past few years is better than Jackie Chan and Jet Li.

Of course he commands a high salary of an estimate 30million yuan according to some sources(his role plus being the action director). The other members of the cast are also well-known names in China and Hong Kong. I have seen the movie here in Singapore, looks like a high budget movie. And news is saying that Donnie extended the filming time to improve the fight scenes, hence the cost of production increased... It looks more expensive than Ip Man(don't know whether you have seen it, but it is one of IMDB's top 100 movies, also starring Donnie Yen).. hence at least 25million USD.

It needs at least 200million yuen to cover its budget, but it seems almost impossible now, it is supposed to be release in December where Chinese box office often blooms, but the distribution company is apparently unhappy with the production company according to some sources and did not put in effort in its marketing and refuse to change its release date, forcing it to go against 3 huge Hollywood hits in Maze Runner, Lucy and TMNT (all over 100million USD in box office, Maze runner soon.)

No matter how big a draw you are in China, facing 3 huge hollywood films, and having only 18% of showtimes in the whole country, and less than 12% showtimes in major cities such as Beijing and Shanghai on opening day... getting over 100million yuen is already pretty darn good.

If this film is released in a protected month in China, where only local productions are released such as December or early October, at least 300million yuen based on its quality. Bad Release date, little effort in marketing, coupled with limited showtimes in major cities(important due to apec holidays) caused its downfall.

With interstellar and Peguins coming out in less than a week, 120million yuen is the most it can get.

I understand the hype and excitement from many fans in the west who loves it when China produces and churns out huge box office results for Hollywood films, but many good asiatic films gets buried and laid to waste, its actually pretty sad.

Kung Fu Jungle probably should have gone into early December, when there are only The Crossing and a bunch of romance films, to fill the slot left by Helios.

Final guess:

CBO Week 46 (11.10-11.16) Top  Prediction
Rank Title Distributor Gross (RMB/M) Gross ($) Change Total (RMB/M) Total ($/M) Days
1 Interstellar CFGC 190 $30.89 NEW 190 $30.89 5
2 Don’t Go Breaking My Heart 2 Media Asia 130 $21.14 620% 148 $24.07 6
3 Penguins of Madagascar CFGC 100 $16.26 NEW 100 $16.26 3
4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles CFGC 55 $8.94 -64% 372 $60.49 17
5 For Love or For Money Starlit 40 $6.50 19% 73 $11.87 10

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 3

Kung Fu Jungle probably should have gone into early December, when there are only The Crossing and a bunch of romance films, to fill the slot left by Helios.

Final guess:

CBO Week 46 (11.10-11.16) Top  Prediction Rank Title Distributor Gross (RMB/M) Gross ($) Change Total (RMB/M) Total ($/M) Days 1 Interstellar CFGC 190 $30.89 NEW 190 $30.89 5 2 Don’t Go Breaking My Heart 2 Media Asia 130 $21.14 620% 148 $24.07 6 3 Penguins of Madagascar CFGC 100 $16.26 NEW 100 $16.26 3 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles CFGC 55 $8.94 -64% 372 $60.49 17 5 For Love or For Money Starlit 40 $6.50 19% 73 $11.87 10

That seems like a weak open for Penguins, even given the Madagascar movies having a lackluster track record in China.

Edited by Wrath

Special ID only had to deal with the wolverine, which has been leaked... huge piracy issues way before China release.

The Wolverine didn't leak until November 6th, when the first rips of the DVD/BD showed up. It had been in Chinese theaters for three weeks by that point. There were only cam rips before that and I've never been convinced those have much of an impact on Chinese box office. I think it's safer to say that The Wolverine was never really a huge threat to begin with, seeing how the X-franchise had never been that big in China and the previous film (First Class) didn't even get a Chinese release. Combine that with indifferent WOM and ¥250m seemed like a reasonable ceiling, piracy or no. Of course it would've done better with an earlier release, but the same can be said for GOTG, TMNT, Maze Runner, Lucy (which actually did leak before Chinese release, as a Korean VOD rip), and basically every summer blockbuster that gets held over till the kids are back in school. I agree with firedeep that Kung Fu Jungle should've been moved to early December or maybe even late November, where its direct competition would've been Fury (WWII European theater, not an easy sell in China) and that Wong Fei-hung movie (not seeing much excitement for this and I think a Donnie Yen vehicle would have little trouble holding it off).

Edited by Bob Violence

Final guess:

CBO Week 46 (11.10-11.16) Top  Prediction Rank Title Distributor Gross (RMB/M) Gross ($) Change Total (RMB/M) Total ($/M) Days 1 Interstellar CFGC 190 $30.89 NEW 190 $30.89 5 2 Don’t Go Breaking My Heart 2 Media Asia 130 $21.14 620% 148 $24.07 6 3 Penguins of Madagascar CFGC 100 $16.26 NEW 100 $16.26 3 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles CFGC 55 $8.94 -64% 372 $60.49 17 5 For Love or For Money Starlit 40 $6.50 19% 73 $11.87 10

I thought Helios didn't have a release date yet or moved to 2015?  Is it still releasing this year?