4/29 Xuan Zang
5/6 Captain America: Civil War 
5/27 Alice Through the Looking Glass
5/27  X-Men: Apocalypse
May Baahubali: The Beginning
6/8 Warcraft
6/24 Call of Heroes
7/8 Cold War 2

Who Sleeps My Bro, Xuan Zang and alikes are just cannon fodders.

Prediction for total gross of Call of Heroes and Cold War 2?  Not much competition... the weekends now are getting predictable unlike last year. :(
And also when is the protection period? Which date to which date? 

Edited by TigerPaw

39 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Prediction for total gross of Call of Heroes and Cold War 2?  Not much competition... the weekends now are getting predictable unlike last year. :(
And also when is the protection period? Which date to which date? 

Call of Heroes will do decent but won't be too profitable I think. Its story is set in the early era Republic of China so its potential will be limited. $100m tops, thanks to Wu Jing.

While many think CW2 could do $100m+ maybe more if it's as good as the first one.

2016 summer blackout period starts in middle or late June (either Warcrfat be the last quote release of June on June 8th or there will be one more quote release in June after Warcrfat ) and lasts until around Aug 5th. Between early Aug and Sep 14th will open to imports. Then October blackout period will follow between Sep 15 (when Feng Xiaogang's Li Xuelian releases) and around October 10th. December and New Year holiday will be another blackout period of course.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Call of Heroes will do decent but won't be too profitable I think. Its story is set in the early era Republic of China so its potential will be limited. $100m tops, thanks to Wu Jing.

While many think CW2 could do $100m+ maybe more if it's as good as the first one.

Thanks! =)
I don't know how big Wu Jing is as a draw, but Wolf Warriors had the government and military supporting, SPL2 had a the predecessor SPL 1 which has a huge following, plus Wu Jing went on Chun Wan last year hence he was very hot last year, but don't know whether that has changed this year. (I also felt that Zhang Jin's performance that outshine Wu Jing by ALOT) He hasn't really been tested yet, unlike Jackie, Jet, Donnie whose minimum box office is at least 200m yuan now(2015 onwards) no matter how bad WOM is or how bad competition is.

Even if he is a draw, Eddie Peng might negate that, haha. Eddie Peng has been flopping since his Wong Fei Hong portrayal in rise of the legend, it seems like a curse, if you don't portray a folk hero well, your career meets a downturn. Eg: How the newcomer Dennis To and even Anthony Wong pretty much have their career gone downhill after portrayal of Ip Man, haha. I mean there are real reasons behind those, but its like a curse!

CW2 will be one of the raw "pure" HK movies that does well in Mainland, haha, but Stephen Chow fans will most likely boycott it. Depending on competition, I got a feeling this might reach 1billion yuan. =/ Good year for Chow Yun Fatt and Aaron Kwok. (oh gosh, Eddie Peng is in this too right.. )

Edited by TigerPaw

4 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

Chinese Monk Xuan Zhang will release on April. 29 too. Not sure which one is top. 

I like Huang Xiao Ming, but this is like Shifu(The Master) or the Assassin IMO, doesn't look very appealing. Very "artistic" and Wen Yi. 150m yuan tops. =/ (It shifted date numerous times, CNY to Feb 26th to now)
Stil think Finding Mr Right 2 will top Easily, as long as its quality is average, easily 500m Yuan. =/

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Thanks! =)
I don't know how big Wu Jing is as a draw, but Wolf Warriors had the government and military supporting, SPL2 had a the predecessor SPL 1 which has a huge following, plus Wu Jing went on Chun Wan last year hence he was very hot last year, but don't know whether that has changed this year. (I also felt that Zhang Jin's performance that outshine Wu Jing by ALOT) He hasn't really been tested yet, unlike Jackie, Jet, Donnie whose minimum box office is at least 200m yuan now(2015 onwards) no matter how bad WOM is or how bad competition is.

Even if he is a draw, Eddie Peng might negate that, haha. Eddie Peng has been flopping since his Wong Fei Hong portrayal in rise of the legend, it seems like a curse, if you don't portray a folk hero well, your career meets a downturn. Eg: How the newcomer Dennis To and even Anthony Wong pretty much have their career gone downhill after portrayal of Ip Man, haha. I mean there are real reasons behind those, but its like a curse!

CW2 will be one of the raw "pure" HK movies that does well in Mainland, haha, but Stephen Chow fans will most likely boycott it. Depending on competition, I got a feeling this might reach 1billion yuan. =/ Good year for Chow Yun Fatt and Aaron Kwok. (oh gosh, Eddie Peng is in this too right.. )

Wu Jing is A-list now, no doubt about that. I heard someone wanted to put him against Jason Statham in a Chinese language action flick but he is too busy for that with dozens of project offers. The situation in China is that decent, young and uprising stars are a rare thing; everyone of them, at any time, is always stuck with multiple projects. Too many Yang Mi, Li Shishi, teen idols; too less Bai Baihe and Wu Jing who can at least perform decently. Even Lin Gengxin and Kris Wu are getting so many high profile offers both domestic and from Hollywood.

Eddie Peng ... hahaha, at this rate, he is flopping to the Peter Ho territory... (I am looking forward to this summer's Sword Master but the teaser trailer released yesterday is disappointing and the fact that Peter Ho starring the second protagonist is really a drag down ...)

Aaron Kwok seems to have a great line-up. And finally, a role of normal-person for Chow Yunfat in Cold War 2. 1B is not unrealistic for CW2 but still think cop thriller has its limitation.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I like Huang Xiao Ming, but this is like Shifu(The Master) or the Assassin IMO, doesn't look very appealing. Very "artistic" and Wen Yi. 150m yuan tops. =/ (It shifted date numerous times, CNY to Feb 26th to now)
Stil think Finding Mr Right 2 will top Easily, as long as its quality is average, easily 500m Yuan. =/

FMR2 will fly past 500m even if it ends up as a crap. Easily Labor Day holiday champion.

• Like 1

Ideally, Alice should open on May 20. Two free weekends is enough for Civil War (May 6); a third free weekend will be a waste like last Year's TA2. But May 20 is unlikely to happen. So Alice likely will go head to head with Apocalypse on May 27, which is a better date than June 3. For Alice, May 20 > May 27 > June 3.

In CFGC's POV, since they are handing out pre-summer day and date releases for studio quote titles like candies, no reason they delay neither Alice nor Apocalypse for one week to June 3; in Disney's POV, if they are wise enough, they would know Warcraft is a bigger threat to their precious annual live-action fairy tale movie than the Mutants. 

On paper, Warcraft will release as a revenue-sharing quote movie from Universal but in practice, it has nothing to do with Universal; it will be marketed and distributed as one of the biggest local event tentpoles, eating up the Dragon Boat Festival rice dumplings. Tencent and Wanda will bring on every piece of force they have.

In North America, Japan and every Europa market, Alice will slay the Mutants but in China, Alice and her weirdo friends will handily get mind-controlled by Professor X. (Still, Alice should do $100m+.)

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Olive/Firedeep, looking at gewara for Bvs, I see tickets listed for 24th at 90 yuan. Has the ticket prices gone up so much or is it only few theaters in beijing or shanghai?

The latter. 90 yuan is a normal price for giant screens and premium theaters which often start presales earlier than other theaters.

• Like 1

how many such premium large format screens are there in China as of today? Last article reported till end of 2014(minus Imax).

China remains the second-largest market for PLF screens globally, with a combined 124 screens derived from three PLF brands: China Film Giant Screen (CFGS, originally known as DMax, with 73 screens), Poly Film’s Polymax (14 screens) and Wanda X Land (37 screens) with data up to the end of 2014. The market there is growing rapidly, up from 82 screens as of H1 2014

http://www.filmjournal.com/features/rise-premium-large-format-investing-next-generation-cinema-exhibition

Edited by keysersoze123

On 13/03/2016 at 0:54 PM, jiangsen said:

All relative...not strange. In many film circles you would be considered "strange" for giving your business to Batman v Superman. 

"many film circles" audience It's not like the audience of an entire country...

Chinese audience has different characteristics compared to the public of any other big country in the world.

In no other large market Furious 7  made 3 times more money than Star wars 7.
In all major markets the Transformers movies are falling at the box office, but in China they increase.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bruchav said:

"many film circles" audience It's not like the audience of an entire country...

Chinese audience has different characteristics compared to the public of any other big country in the world.

In no other large market Furious 7  made 3 times more money than Star wars 7.
In all major markets the Transformers movies are falling at the box office, but in China they increase.

Similarly, pretty much everywhere else in Asia. Ip Man 3 and KFP3 will beat Zootopia, but that trend is reversed in China. Oh ya, Zootopia beats SW7 too. 

• Like 1