A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

If Del Toro casts Jacki Chan in PR 2, I think it could easily do 200M+ in China alone. I think Jackie Chan would be perfect for a sequel because he's a big name all across the world, not just China.

No. If Hollywood wants to be successful it just needs to do what it always did : impressive blockbusters which can lead many people astray. This is the winning formula, Americans need to be American and keep their own way.

I'm not sure Chinese or Russian would care to see their own people in these movies, they don't watch it for these reasons.

• Like 1

Wednesday:

1. PR ------ 16.5M ------ 563M (-54% from Tue)

2. TT2 ------12.4M ------ 236M (-64% )

3. ONS ------ 11.4M ------ 99M (-60%)

4. Palace, The ------ 6.3M ------ 30M (-75%)

LOL at TP for the free falling. Even 100M is dead for it, maybe 80M too .... ONS is a sleepy hit.

FF6 crossed 400M on Wed.

Total screens now hit 160000.

How did Avatar stay in theaters so long? I thought US films are only in theaters for 30 Days?

What about the upcoming sequel to Avatar? Will it have the same amount of time in theaters as the original?

Thirty-day runs are standard for both foreign and domestic films, unless they get an extension from the Film Bureau--though relatively few movies even make it to 30 days, due to poor legs and/or too much competition. (Second-run theaters don't really exist here.) Avatar got an extended run and was around for about three months. But as firedeep said a couple of pages back, the Film Bureau's all but stopped giving extensions to foreign films, in what I suspect is an effort to reduce the impact of the import quota expansion in 2012.

It's way too early to speculate about what will happen with Avatar 2, since it's probably at least three years away and the regulators are constantly changing their minds about one thing or the other. We can say for sure that it would have a better chance of an extended run if it's set up as a Chinese co-production, though that's still no guarantee. IM3 wasn't extended, but it got a six-week initial run instead of just four (which I didn't realize until I saw firedeep's post--I thought it got a two-week extension). It should be interesting to see what happens with TF4, which is the next big co-production. But if Avatar 2 came out today, as a regular Hollywood import, it would probably be gone after 30 days, unless there was absolutely nothing else in the release pipeline.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

No. If Hollywood wants to be successful it just needs to do what it always did : impressive blockbusters which can lead many people astray. This is the winning formula, Americans need to be American and keep their own way.

I'm not sure Chinese or Russian would care to see their own people in these movies, they don't watch it for these reasons.

You are right!  ... and Chinese or Russian wound not care to see their own people in these movies.  

Lets thank China for showing some class that the rest of the world didn't.

China and Russia were the only good surprises for PR. Japan was the most disappointing, Del Toro must be sad about it given it's a tribute to the Japanese culture.

• Like 2

Good news for PR, the new release Unbeatable is flopping based on midnights performance despite having excellent reviews.

Screens taken by Unbeatable may be returned to PR on Sat.

Great news for PR. I think 110M might be possible and sequel set with Chinese co-production could do 200M+. :D

I don't think PR will get an extended run because Gatsby is opening on 30th.

And JP3D and MU opening next week will take many 3D screens.

Anyway it may end up around 110M or at least 650M yuan.

Which is phenomenal, China putting rest of the world to shame.  :D

• Like 1

amazing for China, I love this market! i have great hopes for MU but probably it wont make much money here, pixar deserves the animated crown!

MU has solid chance to breakout for a Pixar movie. firedeep and Olive think 20M+ is possible, which would be great for Pixar in China. :D