A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

It looks so.

WC packs outdated dialogue, action, style with a simple story. There are also a lot of boring moments. The acting of all main actors is blank and one-note.

My ratings for some of the recent Chinese action-thrillers in theaters:

Wild City 3/10

SPL2 6/10

Helios 6/10 

Kung Fu Jungle 6/10

The White Storm 7.5/10

Firestorm 6.5/10

Cold War 7/10

didnt check Overheard 3 but the first two were decent.

SPL 2 & KF Jungle is ok for me

i do not check other movie

will look forward to Saving Mr. Wu, hope it will be better than Police Story 2013. 

SPL 2 & KF Jungle is ok for me

i do not check other movie

will look forward to Saving Mr. Wu, hope it will be better than Police Story 2013. 

Someone said Saving Mr. Wu is way better than PS2013, which was a bad movie IMO.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

MH surviving today, means it will stay #1 until next Thursday when To the Force opens, meaning MH will have 21 consecutive #1 days (7.16~8.5), topping TF4 (20 days) and second only to JTTW (25) since Avatar. 

Now let's hope To the Force can at least open to 20m next Thu, otherwise ... MH would stay #1 for 28 days until 8.13 when Mr. Tumour arrives.  :ph34r: Bai He takes over Baihe ...

Unbelievable run and gross

• Like 2

MH surviving today, means it will stay #1 until next Thursday when To the Force opens, meaning MH will have 21 consecutive #1 days (7.16~8.5), topping TF4 (20 days) and second only to JTTW (25) since Avatar.

Now let's hope To the Force can at least open to 20m next Thu, otherwise ... MH would stay #1 for 28 days until 8.13 when Mr. Tumour arrives. :ph34r: Bai He takes over Baihe ...

I think the success of TMK and MH definitely set a new standard for Chinese film industry. Hopefully, this means there will be more and more original production of high quality

I think the success of TMK and MH definitely set a new standard for Chinese film industry. Hopefully, this means there will be more and more original production of high quality

I think so too. Future animations would be hard to break out if they don't have the quality of TMK. Both TMK and MH are standard Hollywood storytelling. MH proves high concept, big budget original tentpoles can be very rewarding, if well done. Studios don't need to be shortsighted, pursuing some so-called hot IPs like Tiny Times and Silent Separation, producing some garbages.

IMO, if half, or a bit more than half, of China's major releases (right now about 100 of the 300 theatrical releases can be considered major every year) in the future have the quality of MH and TMK, then foreign language films——HLW blockbusters in other words——should be very worried about their drawing power in China's theaters. In that case, HLW would inevitably be pushed to make many co-producing Chinese language films instead of some (fake) English co-productions.

It can be seen that China's film industry is slowly making progress, producing more and more, normal commercial films that are actually watchable. But with the current censorship, I still think the scenario above might be a little too good to be true...

Edited by firedeep

Now let's hope To the Force can at least open to 20m next Thu, otherwise ... MH would stay #1 for 28 days until 8.13 when Mr. Tumour arrives.  :ph34r: Bai He takes over Baihe ...

i believe MH will lose its #1 when To the Fore open.

Look like Wang Luodan has 3 movies release week after week, To the Fore 7, Detective Gui 13 & The Dead End 27.

Bai Baihe still has 2 more, Mr. Tumour 13 & City in Love 20. If A Journey Through Time With Anthony did not move to Oct. 16, she will has 3 movies release this month too.

I think so too. Future animations would be hard to break out if they don't have the quality of TMK. Both TMK and MH are standard Hollywood storytelling. MH proves high concept, big budget original tentpoles can be very rewarding, if well done. Studios don't need to be shortsighted, pursuing some so-called hot IPs like Tiny Times and Silent Separation, producing some garbages.

IMO, if half, or a bit more than half, of China's major releases (right now about 100 of the 300 theatrical releases can be considered major every year) in the future have the quality of MH and TMK, then foreign language films——HLW blockbusters in other words——should be very worried about their drawing power in China's theaters. In that case, HLW would inevitably be pushed to make many co-producing Chinese language films instead of some (fake) English co-productions.

It can be seen that China's film industry is slowly making progress, producing more and more, normal commercial films that are actually watchable. But with the current censorship, I still think the scenario above might be a little too good to be true...

Well, if the antagonist in the movie is an American, Japanese, British or alien, it should be fine ;) I think what needs to change is a movie rating system. Then more mature topics such as can be explored.

• Like 1

Thursday(7.30.2015) Estimates

Daily total 135M yuan 
1). Monster Hunt ¥42.4M/cume: 1603M($258.3M) 
2). Wild City   ¥29.4M/cume:29.4M($4.7M) 
3). Lady Of The Dynasty ¥27.8M/cume: 28.6M($4.6M) 
4). JianBingMan : 13.6M/cume:963M($155M)
5). TMK : Hero is backSeer 5 ¥9.8M/cume: 730M($117.6M) 
6). TheCrossingPart2 ¥6M/cume:6M($1M)
  • Like 2

averaging out cbo and maoyan. under reporting again?

MH is right at 42m/6.8m

other two a bit higher

WC 40m/6.4m

LD 37m/6m

MH keeping 17% of showtimes on friday down from 20%

todays openers no big deal

MH will win and should stay over 40m

WC looks front loaded, will drop today. Firedeeps neg WOM is killing it :) LD should hold better

Edited by M F Lawrence

Thursday(7.30.2015) Estimates

Daily total 135M yuan 
1). Monster Hunt ¥42.4M/cume: 1603M($258.3M) 
2). Wild City   ¥29.4M/cume:29.4M($4.7M) 
3). Lady Of The Dynasty ¥27.8M/cume: 28.6M($4.6M) 
4). JianBingMan : 13.6M/cume:963M($155M)
5). TMK : Hero is backSeer 5 ¥9.8M/cume: 730M($117.6M) 
6). TheCrossingPart2 ¥6M/cume:6M($1M)

Really amazing for Monster Hunt! I think this will really have an impact on the Chinese film industry. 

TMK as well. 

WTS on maoyan

T5 - 148,622

F4 - 77,799

MI5 - 131557

Minions - 162,230 (unbelievable, will reach AOU level close to its opening)

Pixels - 15,754

Ant-man - 64,596

Inside out - 14,875 (poor, but expected for an original animated movie)

Hotel Transylvania 2 - 36,136

• Like 5

WTS on maoyan

T5 - 148,622

F4 - 77,799

MI5 - 131557

Pixels - 15,754

Ant-man - 64,596

WOW for minions and really great numbers for T5 and MI5

Okay for F4 i guess

WTS on maoyan

T5 - 148,622

F4 - 77,799

MI5 - 131557

Pixels - 15,754

Ant-man - 64,596

I feel like T5 will benefit big time from being the first Hollywood movie released post protection month.

WTS on maoyan

T5 - 148,622

F4 - 77,799

MI5 - 131557

Pixels - 15,754

Ant-man - 64,596

KFP3...

Well, if the antagonist in the movie is an American, Japanese, British or alien, it should be fine ;) I think what needs to change is a movie rating system. Then more mature topics such as can be explored.

A movie rating system in China is impossible, and unnecessary, though, unless the censorship is lifted.

It's very simple: if there is a practical rating system, then there are written standards; and with written standards, SARFT would no longer be able to kill any film at their wills.

Edited by firedeep

i believe MH will lose its #1 when To the Fore open.

Look like Wang Luodan has 3 movies release week after week, To the Fore 7, Detective Gui 13 & The Dead End 27.

Bai Baihe still has 2 more, Mr. Tumour 13 & City in Love 20. If A Journey Through Time With Anthony did not move to Oct. 16, she will has 3 movies release this month too.

That's right.

To the Force should be able to set new personal record for Dante Lam, which is still Unbeatable with 118m. But TtF is also a sports movie so it may not race well... and it rolls into theaters at 18pm, Thu, just like Monk and Crossing 2, its Thu/Fri will be spitted so .....

MH really got a great release date, newcomers four weeks after it are either cannon fodders or simply under-performing.

Middle July has officially become the prime slot of the summer.

• Like 1