A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

1 hour ago, TommyA10 said:

Sorry, but blindly adjusting numbers like that is silly, as moviegoing in general has changed dramatically (and decreased significantly) in the past 10-15 years for obvious reasons.

You can't really say that either. East European countries, Latin America, Mexico, most of the Asian markets saw huge increases in audience. 

11 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/number-of-frequent-young-moviegoers-plummets-in-2013-1201146426/

"The number of frequent moviegoers in the all-important 18-24 age group plunged an unprecedented 17% in 2013, according to MPAA annual statistics released Tuesday at Cinemacon, while attendance in the 12-17 age bracket also saw a precipitous drop off, falling almost 15%. Frequent filmgoers from 12-24 are likely spending much of their previous moviegoing time watching a variety of other screens."

Well, the article talks about young people and it seems to speak just about US, but the general attendance has not dropped so much. US for example keep the level of admissions year after year.

There are countries whose attendance has dropped, like Germany, Australia or Spain, other countries like France, UK or Japan that keep the level of attendance that they had 15 years ago, and other countries which have expanded (some of them a lot) their attendance like, of course, China, and Brazil, South Korea, or Mexico. I do not see a dramatic drop in global attendance beyond conjuctural moments given by economical crisis (Spain is rebounding in attendance, for example).

28 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

"The number of frequent moviegoers in the all-important 18-24 age group plunged an unprecedented 17% in 2013, according to MPAA annual statistics released Tuesday at Cinemacon, while attendance in the 12-17 age bracket also saw a precipitous drop off, falling almost 15%. Frequent filmgoers from 12-24 are likely spending much of their previous moviegoing time watching a variety of other screens."

You are correct, that is a problem in the US and in some OS markets, the the article's details, but that does not count for all markets. Some US$ results might at first glance look that way for countries with in reality increased admission numbers, the problem is often the exchange rates are sometimes so bad, like in Russia, that someone in their thread calculated $25m of today equals $65m in 2010.

Plus the countries were you even with dropped exchange rates you can still the growth.

peludo does a thread in the International Forum where you can learn a lot about the impact of exchange-rates, in a lot of per country threads are too posts about the local situation (see International Forum too, link in my signature)

edit: maybe you mean US movies? Be aware, in several countries the local movies are booming too.

And there might be shifts in which movies are interesting for whom out of a country's accessable selection/release list

Edited by terrestrial

49 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Yeah, I know, I put the release date/tiltes into the spoiler

Thanks, I think my question was not clearly enough formulated: 1/4 loss of screens was the latest I read, but I didn't follow up on that. Any feeling already how much it might really loose (% of screens) during the WE or is it too early to ask for that?

Like I said in the post. Screens/showtimes drop 45% to 35% on thursday. About 1/4. Then to 20% on friday.on Saturday it will be 15% of total screens. Down 66% from today. Down 73% from previous saturday. If it underperformed it could drop to 12% on sunday

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Like I said in the post. Screens/showtimes drop 45% to 35% on thursday. About 1/4. Then to 20% on friday.on Saturday it will be 15% of total screens. Down 66% from today. Down 73% from previous saturday. If it underperformed it could drop to 12% on sunday

ahh, I thought you meant money-drops with the percentages....

Thank you again

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, James said:

You can't really say that either. East European countries, Latin America, Mexico, most of the Asian markets saw huge increases in audience. 

One of the biggest ones, Japan, has been decreasing. US has been dropping. EU has been dropping as well. Lots of Eastern European countries are still in recession. Prices are much more expensive than 15 years ago, and wages have hardly caught up with it etc. 

It's not a coincidence that not even one movie in the top 10 adjusted list was released in the past 15 years.  

But back on topic I guess lol...

3 minutes ago, peludo said:

What is the potential of the new local openers? Can they be a big competition for Star Wars not only because of showtimes, but for real impact in BO?

Thursdays opener and 3 of Fridays look to open just 5-15m based on presales. Saturday new release has 12m in presales already. That could open over 40m and possibly beat SW7 if any of the other releases gain strength w WOM and mute sw7 bump

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, peludo said:

What is the potential of the new local openers? Can they be a big competition for Star Wars not only because of showtimes, but for real impact in BO?

Go Fighting 180-220M

The Secret  55-60M 3-day opening

Bonnie Bears  100-110M  2 day

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

One of the biggest ones, Japan, has been decreasing. US has been dropping. EU has been dropping as well. Lots of Eastern European countries are still in recession. Prices are much more expensive than 15 years ago, and wages have hardly caught up with it etc. 

It's not a coincidence that not even one movie in the top 10 adjusted list was released in the past 15 years.  

But back on topic I guess lol...

http://www.eiren.org/statistics_e/index.html

I do not see that drop.

Mods: Last off topic. I promise.

Edited by peludo

$15.3M global TUE for . Totals now $819.7M dom, $946.9M intl, $1.77B global. $65.7M 4day China start.

Box Office: Tops In Overseas Grosses via by

Domestic final heading to about $920M for . Global haul may end up in $2.25B neighborhood.

Notably this week, China has bumped Australia out of the Top 5 offshore markets for TFA. The Middle Kingdom, with $65.7M, currently sits at No. 5. The UK is still tops with $162.5M, followed by Germany ($95.5M), France ($77.1M) and Japan ($69.4M). (Local PROC reporting by Ent Group has TFA at about $71.5M with Wednesday grosses included, which would lift it past Japan, but those are unconfirmed numbers.)...

http://deadline.com/2016/01/the-force-awakens-tuesday-results-passes-avengers-age-of-ultron-china-international-box-office-1201682015/

5 hours ago, terrestrial said:

??? I do not understand that

and I think the rest is a little bit too simplified. You might be aware, I love numbers too, but sometimes I feel like it can be dangerous to be a bit too much in love with them, especially if combined/influenced maybe with/by personal POV / taste?

Above the rest. I go by numbers only. Not a fan of any of these movies

Just now, No Prisoners said:

Not a fan of any of these movies

I guess your chosen term ~ 'crap'... made that clear  :D

I think if someone really likes or dislikes something, it can influence even a really good / cool thinking analyst to a 0.something percentage/degree ;)