A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

7 minutes ago, FranMan said:

Would you consider Batman v Superman a dark horse as its release date seems to be quite good (no competition and one holiday weekend)? 

All signs indicate BVS has troubled quality TBH... a guy who attended BVS screening at SARFT said the movie is not very good. The regulators were happy to give it a great day and date release (with holiday the following week) because they thought it doesnot have the ability to threaten the local releases for Qing Ming holiday.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, firedeep said:

All signs indicate BVS has troubled quality TBH... a guy who attended BVS screening at SARFT said the movie is not very good. The regulators were happy to give it a great day and date release (with holiday the following week) because they thought it doesnot have the ability to threaten the local releases for Qing Ming holiday.

I see, that's interesting. Might not be up the alley for Chinese audiences. 

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

Without taking into account of dark horses, I think 2016's top 10 should consist of:

Mermaid 美人鱼 Union Pictures ¥3,300
Independence Day Sequel 独立日2 CFGC ¥2,000
Captain America: Civil War  美国队长3:内战 CFGC ¥1,500
 X-Men: Apocalypse X战警:决战天启 CFGC ¥1,500
Warcraft 魔兽世界 Tencent Pictures this one could go either way ...
Rail Road Tigers 铁道飞虎 Juhe Yinglian ¥1,200
Memory War 记忆战 WuZhou ¥1,500
Wang Pai 王牌逗王牌 Bona ¥1,200
The Monkey King 2 西游记之孙悟空三打白骨精 Anshi Yingna ¥1,200
The Man from Macau 3 澳门风云3 Bona ¥1,100

Too bad that The Great Wall moved to 2017. The problem with 2016 is that the summer is extremely weak: there is no sure 1.0B+ hit (unless SARFT allows big HLW movies in summer).

2017 already have a list of top 5:

JTTW 2 4B+ 

TF5 4B+

Fast & Furious 8 2B+

Crazy Alien (Ning Hao + Xu Zheng + Huangbo's sci-fi comedy) 3B+

The Great Wall 2B+

I remember summer last year no one expected Monster Hunt, JBM & TMK : Hero is Back to breakout (even never heard about TMK) . I won't say this will happen again in summer 2016. But many local blockbusters target summer this year.

23 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Maoyan (Friday)21:30

Mermaid:100.82M(-2%)

CTHD2:53.1M

TMK2:25.33M(-20.8%)

Macau 3:19.59M(-24.9%)

Naruto:12.37M(-36.5%)

KFP3:8.29M(-16%)

Saturday 21:30

Mermaid:135.11M(+34%)

CTHD2:43.83(-17.5%)

TMK2:32.86M(+29.7%)

Macau 3:22.80M(+16.4%)

Naruto:14.91M(+17.6%)

KFP3:13.93M(+68%)

Edited by efialtes76

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am out of words for Mermaid. This has locked 500m for sure.

So how far TMK2 can go. I am thinking 1.2B. Macau will stop at less than 1.1B.

Yep, 7 straight days over 240M and continuing 13 straight days over 100M. With the holds, 3.5B should happen and could potentially hit 4B.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Is Mermaid actually a good movie or is another pile of crap loved for chinese audience?

I think this movie is skewed towards the Chinese audience, it has jokes that only Asian people will understand, it may not be a great film but the chinese will watch it again and again. I have watched it 4 times and I am still enjoying the movie.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Saturday 00:00

Mermaid:19.97M(+42.7%)

CTHD2:9.48M(-38.9%)

TMK2:4.12M(+38.7%)

Naruto:3.55M(+18.7%)

KFP3:2.88M(+90.7%)

Macau 3:2.69M(+25.1%)

Sunday 00:00

Mermaid:17.46M(-12.6%)

CTHD2:6.64M(-30%)

TMK2:3.96M(-3.9%)

Naruto:2.95M(-16.9%)

KFP3:2.84M(-1.4%)

Macau 3:2.57M(-4.5%)

1 hour ago, efialtes76 said:

Is Mermaid actually a good movie or is another pile of crap loved for chinese audience?

The reviews from non-Chinese/Asian sites have been very, very positive. These ones for example.. from New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/20/movies/review-the-mermaid-features-stephen-chow-behind-the-camera.html THR: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/mermaid-film-review-864189 and Variety: http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/the-mermaid-review-stephen-chow-1201701757/

Edited by Polaroids
  • Like 1

This review from RogerEbert.com calls out Sony for their poor marketing in the US (I didn't even know it was getting released?):

You may be wondering, If this movie is so bizarre, so wonderful, so funny, why haven't I heard of it? The answer to that question is infuriating. Chow's "Shaolin Soccer" and "Kung Fu Hustle" were international hits, and he's a mega-star in his native Hong Kong. Last weekend, "The Mermaid" shattered domestic box office records in China and became the #2 movie in the world, after "Deadpool." Its American release is an afterthought for one reason: mismanagement by its American distributor, Sony Corporation of America 

Sony ought to be ashamed for keeping such a good film from American viewers who aren't already part of the Chinese diasporic community. Three of the four Sony representatives I spoke with didn't even know that the company was releasing "The Mermaid." The fourth rep told me that his company hadn't thought to set up advanced screenings for US press, or even send out an email alerting them to the film's impending release. I was told that the film had already gotten positive reviews—all pegged to its release in Asia—and that Sony didn't expect it to interest many people, outside of Chinese or Chinese-American film fans. 

This is the sad reality of foreign films in America today: the domestic marketplace is so hopelessly biased in favor of English-language films, most of them produced in the United States, that the second most popular movie in the world is treated as if it doesn't even exist

• Like 1

Sony ought to be ashamed for keeping such a good film from American viewers who aren't already part of the Chinese diasporic community. Three of the four Sony representatives I spoke with didn't even know that the company was releasing "The Mermaid." The fourth rep told me that his company hadn't thought to set up advanced screenings for US press, or even send out an email alerting them to the film's impending release.

This costs them so little time, effort and money to do and they can't even be bothered.  Pathetic.

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

This costs them so little time, effort and money to do and they can't even be bothered.  Pathetic.

I don't think they even released a subbed trailer. All the subbed trailers I've seen of the film were subbed by fans. Really poor work by Sony.

They probably thought it would do horribly because of Monster Hunt's performance. But they're very different. 

Edited by Polaroids