A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

• Founder / Operator

If that article/site is the source of the controversy, then this adds up because that's exactly what the press release said (not specifying yuan vs. dollars). They probably got their info from the same source as the rest of us, which is Sony and Endgame. We talked to them on the phone yesterday and they specifically stated the number represented dollars, not yuan.Beyond that, if its incorrect then its on Sony. And its highly unlikely they would manipulate the definition of a weekend to include a 10 day projection. Not impossible, just unlikely considering the heat they would get for it.

Edited by ShawnMR

monday reports of international box office are always off by a small margin when it comes to previous week in china.

There's a difference in being off a few dollars to being off by 20 million.

Also, just glancing at a few of the articles around the net reporting the bigger china opening than U.S., I find they are all quoting Deadline as the source. So even if Boxoffice.com talks directly to Sony, a lot of online media are just parroting Deadline. They do it all the time.

Edited by ECSTASY

[

Also, just glancing at a few of the articles around the net reporting the bigger china opening than U.S., I find they are all quoting Deadline as the source. So even if Boxoffice.com talks directly to Sony, a lot of online media is just parroting Deadline. They do it all the time.

Deadline is popular, Nikki is the queen.

• Founder / Operator

Also, just glancing at a few of the articles around the net reporting the bigger china opening than U.S., I find they are all quoting Deadline as the source. So even if Boxoffice.com talks directly to Sony, a lot of online media are just parroting Deadline. They do it all the time.

Not as often as some might think. Nikki often claims to have "exclusives" when she's really just the quickest to post it. She gets the same emails and contacts we do at Boxoffice, ditto for Mojo, Coming Soon, etc.Not to say she doesn't crack stories, but she confuses the terms "exclusive" and "first to post" a lot of the time. In the case of Looper, not many are copying her. That Sony release goes out to a ton of sites (I can verify that because, well, they don't blind carbon copy the email...heh.) Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Not as often as some might think. Nikki often claims to have "exclusives" when she's really just the quickest to post it. She gets the same emails and contacts we do at Boxoffice, ditto for Mojo, Coming Soon, etc.Not to say she doesn't crack stories, but she confuses the terms "exclusive" and "first to post" a lot of the time. In the case of Looper, not many are copying her. That Sony release goes out to a ton of sites (I can verify that because, well, they don't blind carbon copy the email...heh.)

Yep, Nikki is hilarious with her "exclusives". She posted the news regarding Macfarlane as Oscar host as an exclusive when the academy themselves announced it.
  • Like 1

Not as often as some might think. Nikki often claims to have "exclusives" when she's really just the quickest to post it. She gets the same emails and contacts we do at Boxoffice, ditto for Mojo, Coming Soon, etc.Not to say she doesn't crack stories, but she confuses the terms "exclusive" and "first to post" a lot of the time. In the case of Looper, not many are copying her. That Sony release goes out to a ton of sites (I can verify that because, well, they don't blind carbon copy the email...heh.)

I'm telling you they are quoting her. I just read several. The Guardian, is one off the top off my head. It's not hard to find.And I didn't mean that they quote her all the time, I'm saying that one person writes something and it gets parroted around the net even if it's a misquote. Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1

If that article/site is the source of the controversy, then this adds up because that's exactly what the press release said (not specifying yuan vs. dollars). They probably got their info from the same source as the rest of us, which is Sony and Endgame. We talked to them on the phone yesterday and they specifically stated the number represented dollars, not yuan.Beyond that, if its incorrect then its on Sony. And its highly unlikely they would manipulate the definition of a weekend to include a 10 day projection. Not impossible, just unlikely considering the heat they would get for it.

This is getting more interesting than the movie itself :thinking:

• Founder / Operator

I'm telling you they are quoting her. I just read several. The Guardian, is one off the top off my head. It's not hard to find.And I didn't mean that they quote her all the time, I'm saying that one person writes something and it gets parroted around the net even if it's a misquote.

Oh, I'm not necessarily talking about something like The Guardian if that's you originally meant. I was just referring to movie sites. I'm sure generalized media quotes her, but they quote other sites pretty often too (CNN has used Mojo pretty often, Bloomberg quotes BX's Long Range Forecast, etc.). Deadline is definitely among that group. Edited by ShawnMR

Endgame Entertainment, the movie's production company, reported on Sunday morning that they were estimating an opening weekend between $23 and $25 million in China, where a portion of the movie is set. That's one of the strongest openings of the year there, and if it holds it will mark the first time that an original international movie debuted higher in China than in the U.S. (though Titanic 3D also accomplished this in April).

However, with the country's National Day holiday and the general secrecy related to box office there, an official figure isn't yet available, and there are unconfirmed rumblings that the figure Endgame reported on Sunday is in Chinese Yuen, not in U.S. dollars. If that's true, thenLooper opening is closer to $5 million, which is obviously a significant difference.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?ref=rss&id=3537

Does this mean Ray see us here ?