A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

3.2 Saturday:JTTW 26.5m $4.25m cume 1119M $179.6MHobbit 23m $3.7m cume 215M $34.5MLM 8.4m $1.34m cume 18M $2.88MNicolas Cage's Stolen 7m $1.12m cume 11M $1.76MDREDD 6.5m $1.04m cume 11M $1.76MProjections:LM around $3M 4-days opening. thats just bad. Another major Hollywood movie flops in China in a row. LM did espicially great in other Asian markets while flops in China. Quite a shocker to me. Thought it could do $20M. Well now even $10M is very difficult to achive for it. With screenings for it getting cut quickly, $8m total willl be lucky.Nicolas Cage's Stolen is estimated to do $2.7M 3-days OW.Good opening for a NC buyout flick. Should finish close to $9M.Dredd had significent worse FRI-SAT boost than STOLEN, which means it will have worse legs than the later. $2.6M OW and $8M end.

With no major new releases until March 14 when DH5 arrives, JTTW should still win next week comfortably, which makes it the most weeks(5)/days at #1 movie since AVATAR (10, 2010).There are only four movies since 2003 that had 5 or more weeks at #1. JTTW makes it 5.

Edited by firedeep

With no major new releases until March 14 when DH5 arrives, JTTW should still win next week comfortably, which makes it the most weeks(5)/days at #1 movie since AVATAR (10, 2010).There are only four movies since 2003 that had 5 or more weeks at #1. JTTW makes it 5.

It's kind of hollow in that Hollywood movies are only allowed 30 days so they can't hit 5 week mark even if they were close.

Is the 30 day run is for all films including movies like IM3 and TF4 or will SARFT will extend run based on their discretion. Avatar run was extended.

Are both involving China companies investment? Sorry to ask again hehe.

For HLW movies, Will extend if the movie is big enough and has great legs. For local films, its more depend on the distributors.

3.2 Saturday:JTTW 26.5m $4.25m cume 1119M $179.6MHobbit 23m $3.7m cume 215M $34.5MLM 8.4m $1.34m cume 18M $2.88MNicolas Cage's Stolen 7m $1.12m cume 11M $1.76MDREDD 6.5m $1.04m cume 11M $1.76MProjections:LM around $3M 4-days opening.thats just bad. Another major Hollywood movie flops in China in a row. LM did espicially great in other Asian markets while flops in China. Quite a shocker to me. Thought it could do $20M. Well now even $10M is very difficult to achive for it. With screenings for it getting cut quickly, $8m total willl be lucky.Nicolas Cage's Stolen is estimated to do $2.7M 3-days OW.Good opening for a NC buyout flick. Should finish close to $9M.Dredd had significent worse FRI-SAT boost than STOLEN, which means it will have worse legs than the later. $2.6M OW and $8M end.

Like what "Indie Sensation" said,it's musical,so it's expected,not bad

And LM get a good reviews in China,just most Chinese doesn't have interest to watch a musical movie.

JTTW is still on track to 1.3B or $208M.Hobbit, while, with close to 60% weekly drops, will most certainly finish below $48M, if not $46m.

Quite expected. I was afraid that it could not reach 40 million

Edited by peludo

Oz--which was originally expected to open on the 18th, a few days after DH5--has now been pushed back to the 29th, so it will most likely be opening on the same day as G.I. Joe 2. As Vladimir Putin would say, "Well done."Saw Dredd on Saturday. Tiny crowd (the theater was around three-quarters empty) and it was cut even more than I expected. The same theater was no longer showing it on Sunday. I liked the movie but it was totally DOA here (and just about everywhere else, so Chinese auds are hardly unique in this respect).Mtime ran a report a week or so ago saying that Django's importation process was coming to an end and they should have an announcement soon. The article also said Lincoln was submitted for review sometime before the Oscars and they're waiting for a response. Assuming these actually come out, I can't imagine either of them doing well. Lincoln was never doing to do well; DU might've done OK if it had come out in a timely manner, but both movies have already been extensively bootlegged and the official DVD/BDs would be out by the time they hit Chinese theaters. A Chinese release could still help DU crack the $300m overseas mark, but after seeing how much was sliced out of Dredd, I'd personally prefer that they skip China rather than let the Film Bureau go to town on it. But money trumps integrity (almost) every time...Regarding extensions: my feeling is that foreign films will no longer be granted extensions, regardless of their performance. They may change their minds if the overall box office plummets, just to shore things up. But as long as local films are raking it in, I don't see it happening. Co-productions like IM3 might be an exception. Edited by Bob Violence

Oz--which was originally expected to open on the 18th, a few days after DH5--has now been pushed back to the 29th, so it will most likely be opening on the same day as G.I. Joe 2. As Vladimir Putin would say, "Well done."Saw Dredd on Saturday. Tiny crowd (the theater was around three-quarters empty) and it was cut even more than I expected. The same theater was no longer showing it on Sunday. I liked the movie but it was totally DOA here (and just about everywhere else, so Chinese auds are hardly unique in this respect).Mtime ran a report a week or so ago saying that Django's importation process was coming to an end and they should have an announcement soon. The article also said Lincoln was submitted for review sometime before the Oscars and they're waiting for a response. Assuming these actually come out, I can't imagine either of them doing well. Lincoln was never doing to do well; DU might've done OK if it had come out in a timely manner, but both movies have already been extensively bootlegged and the official DVD/BDs would be out by the time they hit Chinese theaters. A Chinese release could still help DU crack the $300m overseas mark, but after seeing how much was sliced out of Dredd, I'd personally prefer that they skip China rather than let the Film Bureau go to town on it. But money trumps integrity (almost) every time...Regarding extensions: my feeling is that foreign films will no longer be granted extensions, regardless of their performance. They may change their minds if the overall box office plummets, just to shore things up. But as long as local films are raking it in, I don't see it happening. Co-productions like IM3 might be an exception.

GIJ2 is no longer on March 29. Was delayed to somewhere April.

my feeling is that foreign films will no longer be granted extensions, regardless of their performance. 

I am afraid so too.