A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I dont get it TA opened much latter in China and it did fine.

TA didnt have a mega hit days before its release (5.5) and didnt have another mega hit MIB3 until May 25.

IM3 in this case will have So Young ($100M+) on Apr 26 and Oblivion on May 10 and then another mega local on May 18 then FF6/STID also in Maybe. More importantly, IM3 just missed the May holiday (4.29~5.1). People will flock to So Young during the holiday and they wont be back anytime soon.

Why is this release date bad again?

May 3rd is the same date as its North America release date.  Why is that a bad release date?  Even the Deadline article (http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/iron-man-3-china-release-date-may-3/) stated "This is the date Disney and Marvel Studios were eyeing all along for the pic".   I doubt Marvel and Disney are unhappy with this.

When it comes to China, Deadline usually gets it wrong. When Looper released in China they wrote that it had a $22 million opening weekend, 5 times more than its actual gross. Don't pay attention to them.

-- Chinafilmbiz

Edited by Filmmogul

The Deadline piece is pure spin. Disney is trying to put a brave face on it because they sunk so much effort into this pseudo-co-production deal--which didn't play well overseas, where it was widely interpreted as Disney kowtowing to "Chinese censors" (cf. this largely inaccurate Daily Mail hit piece). And for all that effort they won't even make as much off it as they did on The Avengers last year. So they feed some bullshit to Nikki and Co. ("Oh, it's great, we got everything we wanted") and they swallow it hook, line and sinker. Look forward to more of this when the movie actually opens, just like how foreign media outlets dutifully reported on Skyfall's "record" opening in China.

And to elaborate more on why the The Avengers was a completely different situation: the only competition TA had to deal with was Design of Death (which opened on April 27th) and Guns and Roses (which opened all the way back on April 23rd). Design of Death barely made $3m and finished outside the annual top 100; Guns and Roses ended up with a bit over $24m and was #31 for the year. (Mea culpa: in my comment on Deadline I described Design of Death as a "mildly successful local film." I was actually thinking of Guns and Roses.) So Young will outgross both of them put together in a few days, if not less, and will probably land a top ten spot. And that probably would've happened even if it opened on the same day as IM3. Obviously a very different kind of competition.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

It'd be weirder to see them championing local films over Hollywood ones. Local films have a lousy reputation overall, even big hits like A Simple Noodle Story were mostly despised. 2013 is pretty remarkable because there's already been 3 or 4 local movies so far with genuinely good word of mouth, but we're not at the point yet where domestic films are perceived as superior to Hollywood, even though the domestic films make more money.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

its weird to see folks from china supporting hollywood flicks over local films. Even ones which have good WOM

I'm no expert on Asian or Chinese cinema, but from the description of some of the users on this thread, "So Young" has been labeled as a chick flick? Whether that is true or not I don't know, but I think that explains a lot about the dislikes.  Not just particularly here, but generally on the internet regarding female oriented films, especially English-language ones.  

Edited by Ay72998