A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

wow great 4 the Impossible btw! :wub:

o I see A Moment Of Love is released to meh result

too bad

:(

It looks like you care a lot about NYSM  :)

OK I'll admit...

Im Isla Fisher :D I tried to disguise myself as a nobody from the opposite side of the world but u pushed me to confess B)

Edited by Leyla

wow great 4 the Impossible btw! :wub:

o I see A Moment Of Love is released to meh result

too bad

:(

OK I'll admit...

Im Isla Fisher :D I tried to disguise myself as a nobody from the opposite side of the world but u pushed me to confess B)

I don't believe you :lol:   We need a live chat to prove you are her.

• Like 1

The Smurfs 2 opening Thursday looks possibly to be only 12M yuan. That is rather disappointing, lower than Smurfs (2011) opening Wed (15M) too years ago. To be fair, Smurfs was released in Summer while Smurfs 2 in depressing middle September. Nevertheless, that is still not good. Smurfs opening week (5 days) 86M while the sequel opening (4 days) will be in the sub 70m range. And at this point it looks unlikely for Smurfs 2 to match its predecessor's total haul (250M).

Overally, Mon-Wed did only 70M, pushing this week in the danger to be one of the lowest ones of the year, possibly lower than former year-low week (the first week of June with 230M). Last week did 270m. Unlike last Sep, there is no blockbuster releases this time. So it is expected that Sep will inevitably become a dull season for cinemas, possibly the least attended month of the year, stucked between summer and Oct holiday.

Aside, Elysium is doing underwhelming as well. The Matt Damon starred sci-fi pic finally cracked the 100M mark on Thursday (103M), or 8th day in release. A finish in the 160m range sounds to be right, on par with other comparable nonsequel sci-fi films like Cloud Atlas (167m) and Oblivion (148M).

The arrival of Smurfs 2 and Silent Witness on Friday also closes the door for The Great Gatsby to reach 100M. The Leonardo DiCaprio 3D romantic drama neared 80m on its 14th day of release. And should wrap around 95m by next weekend. That is not a bad result, at least a notable step up from Les Miserables (63M) earlier this year. 

Both JP3D and MU are heading to the end of their runs, with the former packing 343m to date while the latter 206m. Expecting another $1M or so to be added respectively at the end of the day. 

Edited by firedeep

That Smurfs 2 number is simply disastrous, tanking more than half (53%) from that of Smurfs (2011). Sequels have decreased from predecessors, though rarely, like Wrath of the Titans, Resident Evil 5 and a local animation series, but not like this.

A 7.1M OD also makes Smurfs 2 the lowest #1 opener in a long time, at least for the year. From Monday to Thursday across the country, per show admissions were running in the sub 10 range, all least attended days, simply frozen market. Mon-Thu only totaled 94M. So it is probable that this week the overal gross will be a year-low one, since Smurfs 2 flopped and Silent Witness wont be strong enough to save the market. The former weakest week of the year is weekly 23 (6.3~6.9) with 230m.

Next week there is Mid-autumn Festival, but that probably wont help much to avoid Sep heading to the worst month of the year.

Edited by firedeep

What about the Russian movie? It was supposed to open today. 

It is still early (9.13 19:30pm), so below is all guesses.

Silent Witness, starring Honglei Sun and Aaron Kwok, is opening in #2 on Friday behind 2rd day of Smurfs 2. Its OD will be less than 10M, which is no match to Drug War (11.5m) or The Unbeatable (15m).

Russia's Avgust. Vosmogo looks to open in 6th place, likely taking 3M for OD. A total in the sub 30M range (10m+ ow) is possible if that is the case. It does have big 11% screening count though.

Some best performed Russian films in China:

Kod apokalipsisa 15M (2008.4.17)

We Are from the Future Мы из будущего 6.7M (2010.3.15)

Chelovek vostoka 12.7M (2010.10.10)

Black Lightning 7.4M (2010.7.15)

Na Igre 2 13.3M (2011.6.10)

The Rock Climber 13.8M (2009.3.6)

Brestskaya krepost 5.1M (2012.3.16)

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot, Firedeep. With 11% screen count I suppose that's pretty weak. Still it will beat easily all previous russian films. If it is possible I will be very grateful for any  info about reviews and grades on chinese movie sites. 

Edited by juni78ukr

It is still early (9.13 19:30pm), so below is all guesses.

Silent Witness, starring Honglei Sun and Aaron Kwok, is opening in #2 on Friday behind 2rd day of Smurfs 2. Its OD will be less than 10M, which is no match to Drug War (11.5m) or The Unbeatable (15m).

Russia's Avgust. Vosmogo looks to open in 6th place, likely taking 3M for OD. A total in the sub 30M range (10m+ ow) is possible if that is the case. It does have big 11% screening count though.

Some best performed Russian films in China:

Kod apokalipsisa 15M (2008.4.17)

We Are from the Future Мы из будущего 6.7M (2010.3.15)

Chelovek vostoka 12.7M (2010.10.10)

Black Lightning 7.4M (2010.7.15)

Na Igre 2 13.3M (2011.6.10)

The Rock Climber 13.8M (2009.3.6)

Brestskaya krepost 5.1M (2012.3.16)

thx for the chart 

ha I struggled to remember Kod apokalipsisa :D Anastasiya Zavorotnyuk as Lara Croft :rolleyes: 

I don't believe you :lol:   We need a live chat to prove you are her.

can't promise a video chat ;) 

His name alone can't guarantee a hit (look at Django Unchained or Gatsby, though at least Gatsby is doing a lot better than it probably would've without DiCaprio), but he's certainly one of the most high-profile Hollywood stars and he has a very dedicated fanbase, who swoon over his every move and call him "Xiao Li" (which you can translate as "Little Leo," though the common joke is that Little Leo ain't looking so little these days).

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, Firedeep. With 11% screen count I suppose that's pretty weak. Still it will beat easily all previous russian films. If it is possible I will be very grateful for any  info about reviews and grades on chinese movie sites. 

Avgust. Vosmogo user ratings on some major movie sites: 

douban.com 7.2/10 (2600 votes)

mtime.com 7.2/10 (520)

1472 want to see on wandafilm.com

690 bought tickets on gewara.com

Social media feedback is average.

All above corresponds its soso performance I'd say. Non-Hollywood imported movies at the moment still have trouble drawing attentions from general audience in theaters.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

If I have to list four current names with bankable theatrical powers among all well-known-in-China Hollywood stars, I'll go with: Smith, Cruise, Depp and Leo. Then if it goes on, it will include Nicolas Cage, Brad Pitt, Jason Statham, Keanu Reeves, Matt Damon, etc.

Ben Affleck, George Clooney and probably all Hollywood comedy actors are the ones that is little known outside movie fanboys(girls).

• Like 1

If I have to list four current names with bankable theatrical powers among all well-known-in-China Hollywood stars, I'll go with: Smith, Cruise, Depp and Leo. Then if it goes on, it will include Nicolas Cage, Brad Pitt, Jason Statham, Keanu Reeves, Matt Damon, etc.

Ben Affleck, George Clooney and probably all Hollywood comedy actors are the ones that is little known outside movie fanboys(girls).

Shouldn't Pitt be up there with smith/cruise and others. WWZ did fantastic for the genre.

WWZ didn't come out in China. I think it would've done well here, but we'll never know. In fact, Pitt's been absent from Chinese screens for awhileTroy and Mr. and Mrs. Smith were both in the top ten in their respective years, but the last live-action Pitt vehicle to come out here was Babel in 2007 (which flopped). Happy Feet 2 came out last year and didn't do well, but then it wasn't really a "Brad Pitt movie." In other words, it's been six years since a "real" Brad Pitt movie came out in China, and eight years since a successful one. So to put him in the top tier of bankable Hollywood stars in China is a bit presumptuous. Fury should get a Chinese release (it's already been picked up by Huayi Brothers, one of the most powerful local firms), so next year will give us a better idea of Pitt's drawing power here.

Edited by Bob Violence