A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Holiday Box office: All Gross to Hark Tsui's 3D Blockbuster

<ahttp://img3.douban.com/view/photo/photo/public/p2099623754.jpg' alt='Posted Image' class='bbc_img' />

Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon (3D)

Genre: fantasy, costume, action (martial arts), suspense

Updated Saturday (9.28) 17pm.

Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon, Hurk Tsui's second Detective Dee movie in a series, opens today on approaching 5,500 screens, mostly 3D. Rise of the Sea Dragon is undoubtably the biggest release for this year's National Day Holiday, which runs Oct 1.st to Oct 7. Friday (9.27) was a working day, Saturday is not, and on Sunday and Monday (9.30) people will go back to work again. So, Rise of the Sea Dragon and three other releases, including 3D fantasy romance pic The Fox Lover, all chosed to launch on Saturday. Open Road and China Film's buyout release Jobs debuted one day earlier, this Friday. Coming Monday, there will be another four releases including Bona's high-profile 3D firefighting thriller Inferno

During holiday, four more releases will arrive, of which the biggest one is Disney's western adventure The Lone Ranger on Oct. 5, or 5th day of holiday. Post-holiday, the up-coming major releases will include LionsGate's Now You See Me (10.10), Fox's The Wovlerine (10.17) and French revenue sharing film Fly Me to the Moon (10.25). There are not any major local releases scheduled till late November though.

Without strong competition, it's safe to say that Rise of the Sea Dragon will dominate the cinema market for the next two weeks. Early tracking indicates the 3D flick's opening day gross, including its Friday midnight take of 2.2M yuan through about 1000 shows, could go as high as 50M yuan, if not more,  in which case the total box office will have a shot at breaking the $100M (620M yuan) mark by the end of its run. Hurk Tsui's current highest grossed film in the PRC is Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (2011) with 540M. Anyway Rise of the Sea Dragon should have no problem shadowing that number.

With underwater 3D as one of its biggest selling points, Rise of the Sea Dragon supposedly has a production budget of 170M yuan and is also running on 110+ IMAX screens.

Jobs' Friday opening gross was 3.1M yuan, ranking third. With coming holiday, the critically failed Biopic could have a shot at 50M yuan total, which is not a shabby result for a buyout release.

Other grosses as of Friday:

Silent Witness 153M with 6.8M Fri.

My Lucky Star 111M with 4.8M

Turbo 63.8M with 2.7M

The Warth Of Vajra 10.4M after 4 days

Smurfs 119M after 15

Elysium 158M after 22

The Fox Lover is a DOA. Saturday looks to be in the sub 6M yuan range.

I'll continue to report daily box office for the next few days.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Saturday totaled 82M yuan (up 192%+ from Friday's 28M):

[*]Rise of Sea Dragon --- 56M --- 56M [*]The Fox Lover --- 5.6M --- 5.6M [*]Silent Witness --- 5M --- 158M [*]Turbo --- 4.3M --- 68.1M [*]My Lucky Star --- 2.7M --- 114M [*]Farm House 81 --- 2.7M --- 2.7M

RoSD opening day is by far the biggest in September, destroying TASM's 34M, and it is biggest OD for all movies ever released for the National Day Holiday slot, topping the former record hold by its predecessor Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame with 20M. It also ranks:

[*]2nd biggest opening Saturday slightly behind TA with 57m [*]4th biggest OD in 2013 and all time 7th biggest OD, tying Pacific Rim [*]3rd biggest OD for a local Chinese release [*]2rd biggest non-holiday non-summer OD only behind Titanic 3D [*]Biggest OD for all movies released during the six month period that begins with August and ends with January. Only Feb, Apr, May, June and July have generated bigger ODs than 56M.

With normal patterns, RoSD likely will end its run in the 600~700m yuan range.

The other big budget 3D fantasy film The Fox Lover that opened along with RoSD only debuted to pathetic 5.6M. Audience and critic reviews for this time-and-money-wasting freak are horrific.

Sports drama Amazing did 2.4M previews on Saturday.

Edited by firedeep

Olive, you guys in China will have one week long PUBLIC holiday starting from tomorrow?

Yes. National Day holiday is the biggest one in China besides Spring Festival holiday.

Are there any Sunday estimates? How much Rise of Sea Dragon  grossed on day two?

Sunday totaled 52M yuan (down 37% from Sat's 82M):

[*]Rise of Sea Dragon --- 37M --- 93M

[*]The Fox Lover --- 4M --- 9.6M

[*]Silent Witness --- 3.1M --- 161M

[*]My Lucky Star --- 1.7M --- 116M

[*]Bump in the Road --- 1.6M --- 1.6M (new)

Overally Sunday enjoyed a very healthy working day drop.

RoSD's 2rd day take of 37M is easily one of best among all non-holiday / non-summer working days. That gives it two days tally of 93M, or roughly over $15M. The $17m number Rentrak reported Sunday night was $2m off.

Tuesday begins the holiday. So Monday (9.30) will play like a normal Friday: increasing from Sunday. Expect another 40M or more for Monday. At this point, another increase anywhere between 50%~100% could happen on Tuesday (10.1), which will eventually lead this box office monster into a mega holiday. Some believe RoSD will near the 500M mark ($80M) by end of Oct.7, or after 9 days of debut.

Both Turbo and local animation Farm House 81 dropped out of top 5 on Sunday, which is normal for a working day.

Roadtrip comedy Bump in the Road opened to 1.6M on some 500 screens on Sunday.

Firefighting thriller Out of Inferno (3D) and baskketball drama Amazing (3D) opening today, things are not looking particularly good for both.

Monday 70M yuan (up 34% from Sun's 52M):

[*]Rise of Sea Dragon --- 43M --- +16% ---- 136M [*]Out of Inferno --- 10.5M --- NEW ---- 10.5M [*]Amazing --- 4.3M --- +850% ---- 7.1M [*]Silent Witness --- 2.5M --- -20% ---- 164M [*]The Fox Lover --- 2.2M --- -45% ---- 11.9M [*]Turbo --- 1.8M --- +71% ---- 71M [*]Bump in the Road --- 1.2M --- -25% ---- 2.8M [*]My Lucky Star --- 1.1M --- -35% ---- 117M [*]Jobs --- 0.9M --- -25% ---- 7.3M [*]Farm House 81 --- 0.7M --- +75% ---- 3.7M

Good increase for RoSD, solid opening for Out of Inferno, decent expansion for Amazing. OOI should head to the healthy range of 150~200m with that opening.

Really disappointing for Jobs. It free falled. Already less than 1M yuan at day 3.

Run almost closed:

Elysium ---- 160m (ok)

Smurfs 2 ---- 120m (bad)

Avgust. Vosmogo ---- 17m (average)

Tuesday obviously will do easily over 100M. This will be one of the biggest weeks.

Back to Sep ...Sep 2013 only totaled 1.25B yuan on box office, flat with 2012, lowest of 2013. In terms of per show attendance, Sep 2013 only had 15, worst of all months in recent years, lower than former lowest Oct. 2012 with 17.

Lacking of blockbuster is to blame. The biggest release in Sep is Elysium with only 160M. Plain awful.

By end of Sep 30, year 2012 B.O. reached RMB 16.16B, admission 465.2M. Local films market share still stands at 58%. The share wont go below 55% by end of Nov. Say Dec 2012 to do 3B, biggest month ever, almost all by local movies of course. 2013's yearly market share for local films should end in the 62%+ range.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 2

Tuesday 108M yuan (up 54% from Mon's 70M):

[*]Rise of Sea Dragon --- 64M --- +49% ---- 201M [*]Out of Inferno --- 15.5M --- +53% ---- 26M [*]Turbo --- 6.5M --- +261% ---- 77.7M [*]Amazing --- 5.1M --- +18% ---- 12.2M [*]Farm House 81 --- 3.5M --- +400% ---- 7.3M

Other cumulative:

[*]Silent Witness  ---- 168M [*]The Fox Lover ---- 15M [*]Smurfs 2 ---- 124M

89K shows, 108M box office, up about 60% from last year's Oct.1. (do remember that last year the holiday disappointed, increasing only 16% from 2011)

RoSD crossed the 200m mark after 4 days. It should easily hit 500M by end of Oct.7. And it should have no problem making over 700M in total. It will beat Pacific Rim (694m), maybe even So Young (718m).

There probably will be two more local blockbusters in Dec 2013 to make more than 700m (maybe even 1B). That means 5 700m+ local films in 2013 while only one Hollywood movie.

I like Tsui Hark's film haha.

Watched RoSD, it is very good for me. Too bad this time my place brings in the Mandarin version. Last time was Cantonese version.

Glad that it did big numbers.

The Mandarin version is the original though. Carina Lau is the only Cantonese actor with a major role and I think even she did her lines in Mandarin. Unless you prefer watching Chinese movies dubbed in Cantonese, which is fair enough.

I liked it all right but thought it was a climbdown from the first film (and Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, which grew on me with the second viewing). Both the original and the prequel are more dependent on Crazy Ideas than a conventional, well-structured story, but the ideas this time feel more ordinary, and one key element of the mystery comes too close to one from the first film. Plus the sea dragon of the title is both a red herring and something we're supposed to be deeply concerned with, judging from the way it suddenly takes center stage at the finale (after being forgotten for most of the film). And Mark Chao is fine but he's no Andy Lau, which I imagine is why this one is more like an ensemble film than the first.

And oh yeah, that 3D underwater footage they're hyping in the publicity? That's like two minutes of the movie, tops. Were they really that desperate for a marketing hook? It's a Detective Dee prequel, it didn't need anything more than that.

Edited by Bob Violence