A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

WOW that's some very packed schedule right there. Gravity wont be making $100m. :(

firedeep said something similar about life of pi. <ahttp://forums.boxofficetheory.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'>

i know, statistics - language of numbers is pretty straightforward, but there is always a hope in an ever changing mood of cinemagoers when a difference in terms of movie quality comes as a factor to valuate.

i am looking forward how it turns out eventually. i cross my fingers for gravity. since i saw the very first trailer i had a hunch it was going to be a strong movie. there are too many comic book blockbusters at the market and studios keep forgetting big movies are different in every aspect, not a clone of each other.

Edited by dezorz

Still see 400M+ for Thor 2. 3-days OW should be 120M+. It will get a huge Single's Day boost on 11.11.

[*]As for the CF vs Gravity battle, I still think CF has a better chance to win simply because it is a sequel and the first one already made 170M. Cant see less than 250M for CF, unless it is a crap movie.

Sunday opening is the worst, even worse than Monday opening. Gravity could still be a big surprise though. And it certainly will have better legs than CF. So it's hard to say. I think the totals should be close. The two will share IMAX screens.

[*]The Wolverine (opens on Thu) predicts:

OD ~15M

OW 90~100M

Total 210M

yeah CF has  more of a chance than Gravity :D imo but on top of a great movie Gravity has chinese tech shown in a positive light B):D so I hope WOM will be good

F does Nysm still have a chance to gross 20m total (considering Wolvie opening) as u predicted earlier ???

Hugh in China

what a sweetie :wub:

Edited by Leyla

[*]Now You See Me

Cume now is 77.2m after a 8.7m Tuesday. Should near 110m by Sunday. And in that case, 140m $23m total.

[*]The Wolverine

Thursday show count in big cities is close to 35%, then Friday 30% due to Special ID opens and takes 24%. So I might want to bump its OD forecast to 20M from 15M as posted earlier. Then Friday should basically flat or minorly increase. Movies (non-family) in Fall can jump as much as 80% on Saturday, some even 100%+ if WOM is great, so lets see how Wolverine dances.

One thing to be noticed is that, in October history, 20M+ working day (opening or not) has never happened. The current biggest Oct. OD is The Bourne Legacy with 14.4m. Current biggest Oct. OW is alsoThe Bourne Legacy with 88m through 4-days.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine opened to 6m on a Sunday (5.3) and went on to do 89m in 2009. So there are not much to compare between the two installments.

Yearly 2013 box office reached 17.1B (2012 total) on October 15th. 77 days (two months and half) to go before the Calendar changes to 2014.

Edited by firedeep

Escape Plan is now an 11/4 (Monday) release, which means it will share its opening weekend with Thor, unless one of them moves. SARFT scheduling strikes again. If they want to go for the trifecta, they could put Rush in the same week and have a second Hemsworth movie in there too. I certainly wouldn't put it past them...

Edited by Bob Violence

thx for the projections F

good that 20m still stands :wub:

& hopefully Wolvie Wom will be OK

well I bet chinese women obv are not against a double dose of Hemsy but to put Thor againsy Rush is a no no :( they should let both movies make money

TDW now formally announced for 11/8:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's a bit at the bottom of both posters saying "North America simultaneous release." Sad that this is now rare enough it can be used as a selling point.

Any presale news for Wolverine?

Thor 1 only did 15 million in China, should Thor 2 do much better?

Perhaps 40-60 million?

THOR is not a concept that Asian people can easily get into.

IRON MAN is a techie, something that Asians can

understand with the massive IT & Manufacturing

industry there. THOR is Old European God.

The sequel will be lucky to earn more than $30M.

The 2nd/lower poster seems to suggest a possessive

Jane: "Stay away from the cute, tall blond. He is MIIIIIINE!!"

Not a very well mounted visual campaign.

Edited by zackzack