A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I will try to explain this.79M is estimate according to online ticket sale by us on Sunday night; 58M is estimate according to first 2 days (22M) by FOX international (China) on Sunday, first reported via BOM.67M is revised by FOX China earlier this morning; 74M is official report by Chinese government later Tuesday.In fact, insiders said the actuals is 81M and some 7M was removed, but that is another story.

Interesting summary, thanks.

Can it hit 200M with the 74.2M opening?

i always wonder when people want to predict exact numbers with little information available. :) avatar earned less for OW and did over 200M.titanic is a non standard film, it can and it will behave differently than traditional films.yesterday it got 5,5-6 mil, today it looks for 8-8,5 mil. very strong performance, little decline, like 25 percent? if it keeps running with such speed it might even cross 200M, it might even get to 250M. plus 44 mil which it already got from 98s original release, we might have a candidate for 300M. :) but it is hard to tell now, we need to wait a another week, neednt we?

i always wonder when people want to predict exact numbers with little information available. :) avatar earned less for OW and did over 200M.titanic is a non standard film, it can and it will behave differently than traditional films.yesterday it got 5,5-6 mil, today it looks for 8-8,5 mil. very strong performance, little decline, like 25 percent? if it keeps running with such speed it might even cross 200M, it might even get to 250M. plus 44 mil which it already got from 98s original release, we might have a candidate for 300M. :) but it is hard to tell now, we need to wait a another week, neednt we?

Battleship is coming...Its going to drop about 50% this week. And I dont think 200M is possible at this point.Curious, how do you get the Tue number ? :)

Battleship is coming...Its going to drop about 50% this week. And I dont think 200M is possible at this point.Curious, how do you get the Tue number ? :)

you are right about the battleship, but we can never know when it comes to cameron:)numbers are from the wanda network. a link already in this thread somewhere.. Edited by dezorz

Titanic effect? But midnight numbers aren't the best indicator, let's be patient!

Yeah.. Lets hope its that..SentryTrans and crew has set my nose up for 80-100 mill totalSo it better deliver

This is fantastic news, but it begs the question, how the hell did the numbers jump so much?First it was 79 mill, then 58 (WTF) and then 67 and then up to 74. Do they have clowns running the box office, monkeys punching in numbers?

The numbers you mentioned here are in two different frames. One should always compare numbers from the same source. That is to say, in this case, $79M is estimated from Chinese online tracking as explained by firedeep, while $74M is the official number reported by the Chinese media. One can assume them from the same source (this is not really true of course :lol: )On the other hand, I guess both $58M and $67M are reported by the Fox company. If the so-called box office stealing behavior exists (this is not necessarily real stolen, maybe someone just doestn't want oversea companies get too much share. Anyway, this is just a guess), then it's easy to understand why oversea companies always report a number less than Chinese official report.So if one looks at the two differences again: $5M (79-74) and $ 9M (67-58), it is more reasonable now. Why the company estimate (58) is far less than the company actual (67)? In my opinion, they applied a normal model to do Sunday projection. However, in the record-breaking case, e.g. TF3 or Titanic 3D, the Sunday drop will be much better, as indicated by the online tracking. If they projected a 35% Sunday drop while it turned out 15%, that's around $3.4M in difference. Subtracted this, the difference between company estimate/actual, and the difference between Chinese estimate/actual, are almost the same: $5M v.s. $5.6M. What if they projected even worse? :rolleyes:Finally, no matter where the $5M difference comes from ( 1-stolen, 2-failed online tracking, 3-large uncertainty in Chinese box office statistics, etc), it is much more acceptable than those $20M gap :D

Tibet is to China, what Alaska or Hawaii is to the USA. Perhaps Americans treat their indigenous people better. Allthough in 1990 I could not cross a bridge over the St. Lawrence river in Canada because Amerindians were blocading it. Sure the Chinese are worse: When in Tibet our lugage was searched for pictures of the Dalai Lama.

In German we have the saying "Erst kommt das Fressen und dann kommt die Moral"(Brecht)- meaning: eocnomic considerations have precedence over ethical . Disney is a capitalist corporation and will act acordingly. I doubt that Downey Jr. and his convictions will be an obstical to the enterprise.