A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

48 minutes ago, Noiret Jak said:

Batman is extended till May 17th in China (surely so cinemas start to open and make a few million) and.. I think the WB doing this for Batman will do this for Fantastic Beasts 3 also ice which is good news for both of them movies.

WB isn’t who makes the decision of whether a film gets an extension in China.

• Like 4

Most Anticipated Titles of 2022 (Hollywood)

347,734 : Fantastic Beast 3*

250,471 : The Batman

176,372 : Matrix Resurrection

146,663 : Hotel Transylvania 4

143,238 : Moonfall

132,758 : Uncharted

x91,927 : Death On The Nile

x57,353 : A Rainy Day in New York

x55,894 : Encanto

x46,550 : Paw Patrol The Movie

x40,149 : Escape Room 2

*Still Counting

Note Includes only recently released through out 2022 (Jan-April)

Comparison:

With admits

3,602,113 : The Batman*

3,367,796 : Moonfall*

3,075,698 : Uncharted*

2,504,134 : Paw Patrol The Movie

2,253,779 : Matrix Resurrection

2,029,606 : Encanto

1,711,808 : Death On The Nile

x961,171 : Hotel Transylvania 4*

x830,486 : Escape Room 2*

x330,646 : A Rainy Day in New York

*Still Running

With Gross

¥136.00M : The Batman*

¥119.00M : Moonfall*

¥107.00M : Uncharted*

¥x85.75M : Matrix Resurrection

¥x82.50M : Paw Patrol The Movie

¥x76.68M : Encanto

¥x68.50M : Death On The Nile

¥x32.14M : Hotel Transylvania 4*

¥x28.35M : Escape Room 2*

¥x12.70M : A Rainy Day in New York

*Still Running

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

When are we getting a Marvel movie in China? 2025?2026?Ever again? 

When there will be an announcement, certainly some user will post an update on this forum. You don't need to predict the years. Also, it isn't an issue as other Hollywood, including French, German, Korean, Japanese, Indian, including Russian films are getting released...

Edited by Issac Newton

34 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

When there will be an announcement, certainly some user will post an update on this forum. You don't need to predict the years. Also, it isn't an issue as other Hollywood, including French, German, Korean, Japanese, Indian, including Russian films are getting released...

My comment was clearly sarcastic.

Still weird China just outright excluding Marvel movies. I think Marvel might have  a ban for some years from there. 

Also. I don't care if China is releasing Hollywood movies there, when most are movies that are failing or are already in pvod or streaming. Some exceptions ofc. 

4 minutes ago, Felipe said:

Any info on FB3 reception/boxoffice?

Not enough reviews yet for a rating.   

As I expected the OD is falling a bit short of Maoyan projections. I think my sub 20M total call from a while ago will pan out.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

And fwiw no end in sight to covid growth over here. Right now Shanghai is still the big hotspot but it’s definitely a covid affected BO that could get worse at any time — and probably will.

With that stupid policy, yeah no kidding.

Regarding China ban of the big Hollywood movies... here's what I don't get. 

What is China main goal with all of this? Is it to have the biggest movie of the year be one of theirs? Or just be the biggest market in the world? Or both? 

Because biggest movie of the year is just something they don't have range to. Hollywood will always have the biggest movie of the year in normal years. They should just drop that thought, if it's one they have. 

Now, to be the biggest market in the world? Like in 2021?? That's something entirely possible till the end of times. But here's what I don't understand. How they want to be the biggest market in the world without the huge Hollywood blockbusters income? They could have led 2021 by an even bigger margin. 2021 was a weak year still. Recovery and experimenting one. Hollywood is coming back strong this year. And big ones are yet to come. 

Am I missing something? The money made in China by Hollywood movies count as China gross in the end of the year right? 

So why not release the big blockbusters? Why are they releasing flops? 

And I know everything is fucked there right now so whatever. But even before the covid outbreak. Specially before the new covid outbreak. 

Because I can tell you all right now, and I would bet my bank account on this, Doctor Strange will never get a release date there. No matter how bad things are, they are still running everything with what's open. 

Genuine questions because I don't know much. Is there anything going on China? What is China main goal in the movie market? 

• Like 1