A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

JTTW looks like the worst film i've never seen. So why the huge predictions? Have there been screenings where people have confessed their love for it? Or is it just because another comedy hit it big?

JTTW is most house-hold fairy tale in China. Stephen Chow is one of the most house-hold name in China. Stephen Chow did a movie series based on JTTW before and it got a super stronge following . It would be unwise to give small predictions.

Of cause the trailers really looked like a f*cking video game.

Edited by vc2002

Saw 007. Now I can fairly understand why it's not performing well in China. Unlike MI4 which set one high point after another so it consistently had something to keep you in the story, Skyfall was just too slow, too boring, and when it finally came to the final act, the Home-Alone sequence just couldn't do any justice to what had been built up to that point. People calling this TDK version of Bond, but in terms of pacing, I would say MI4 actually is a much closer case. Also Javier Bardem's role is just too less interesting than the Joker.

I was a never a fan of films like MI or Bond, but I must say that MI4 is much enjoyable than Skyfall.

Edited by vc2002

Saw 007. Now I can fairly understand why it's not performing well in China. Unlike MI4 which set one high point after another so it consistently had something to keep you in the story, Skyfall was just too slow, too boring, and when it finally came to the final act, the Home-Alone sequence just couldn't do any justice to what had been built up to that point. People calling this TDK version of Bond, but in terms of pacing, I would say MI4 actually is a much closer case. Also Javier Bardem's role is just too less interesting than the Joker.

I was a never a fan of films like MI or Bond, but I must say that MI4 is much enjoyable than Skyfall.

there is something odd about skyfall. it is not to everybody´s taste. which is good, in these times when HW makes one blockbuster much like the any other and when we see nteflix collects data what people watch and then makes a product based on these datas, it is good to see a movie with its own face. britons liked skyfall quite a lot. it has over run avatar in britain. i am not sure but it looks to be the first film to have dethroned avatar (in one specific market only, of course, but still) . on the other hand, china doestn seem to like it that much. (it still can make about 70M, which is a lot of money.) yet, skyfall is best film of 2012 (right after avengers) who would have tought that james bond has such powers.

I think there are some plot holes that almost kill it.....but anyway, it's stll a good moive. Music, sound effects, acting... are all perfect.

Edited by POLYLOVE

i am not sure but it looks to be the first film to have dethroned avatar (in one specific market only, of course, but still) . on the other hand, china doestn seem to like it that much.

This isn't true, Toy Story 3 beat Avatar in Mexico and Argentina, Elite Squad 2 in Brazil (and Avengers for Hollywood), DH2 in Indonesia etc.

Also, In some countries Avatar never made it to number 1 in the first place, and in the Netherlands Skyfall has also passed Avatar.

Bond always been huge in Britain so was always one of most likely candidates to pass Avatar eventually i think the Olympic opening ceremony stunt which was watched by everyone in Britain propel it over Avatar IMO. Even without that i think due to the quality of the film it would of flow passed $100 mil in the Uk.

This isn't true, Toy Story 3 beat Avatar in Mexico and Argentina, Elite Squad 2 in Brazil (and Avengers for Hollywood), DH2 in Indonesia etc.

Also, In some countries Avatar never made it to number 1 in the first place, and in the Netherlands Skyfall has also passed Avatar.

thanks for correction, i might have not made myself clear enough. of course i meant those markets which were stabilized (not growing fast - where it is logical something sooner or later would make more) and where avatar was and exception to the norm.