A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, weresweresweres said:

Thanks to Gavin Feng we know that sm:h earned 717.6 mln yuans, and according to the-numbers this movie earned 108 mln $. But 717.6 yuans is more than 108 $, so I'm curious why Gavin and the-numbers show us diffrent numbers. I believe that they have accurate data, they just have to calculate it in diffrent way e.g. Gavin is giving us data after service fees, and the-numbers before service fees. If my theory is wrong, what's the other option? Why Gavin and the-numbers show us diffrent numbers?

The numbers Gavin frequently gives aren't finalized (picture domestic weekend estimates).  They often do tweeking to the numbers.  Again, if they were reporting numbers without service fees, the number would be closer to $100m-$101m

Edited by Awesomer

21 minutes ago, Awesomer said:

The numbers Gavin frequently gives aren't finalized (picture domestic weekend estimates).  They often do tweeking to the numbers.  Again, if they were reporting numbers without service fees, the number would be closer to $100m-$101m

Of course you're right, Gavin's THU numbers was 717.6 and today 6 (724 in total) so I assume that Gavin THU numbers was actualized to 718 (724-6). So thank you for informing me, that my theory about using by sites like the-numbers or BOM numbers without service fees is incorrect, but I still don't understand why there's few millions diffrence between Gavin's number and number from other site.

30 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

Of course you're right, Gavin's THU numbers was 717.6 and today 6 (724 in total) so I assume that Gavin THU numbers was actualized to 718 (724-6). So thank you for informing me, that my theory about using by sites like the-numbers or BOM numbers without service fees is incorrect, but I still don't understand why there's few millions diffrence between Gavin's number and number from other site.

When I convert 717.6 I get $108.8m so it's hardly a "few million".  But it's also a matter of what sitr they are getting their numbers from.  Sometimes there can be significant variation from the main sites in China.  Some sites are considered more reliable than others at times.  An it also matters what the exact number they are using as the exchange rate is (people here use what's quickly available, which might not be the most acurate).

Edited by Awesomer

6 minutes ago, Awesomer said:

When I convert 717.6 I get $108.8m so it's hardly a "few million".  But it's also a matter of what sitr they are getting their numbers from.  Sometimes there can be significant variation from the main sites in China.  Some sites are considered more reliable than others at times.  An it also matters what the exact number they are using as the exchange rate is (people here use what's quickly available, which might not be the most acurate).

You probably missed link to Gavin's twitter account when he converted his number to 110.79mln, and ignored my previous post where I wrote that it's rather impossible that the-numbers convert their data on daily basis.  Of course 2.79 mln it's not a big diffrence, but i'm just curious:)

8 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

You probably missed link to Gavin's twitter account when he converted his number to 110.79mln, and ignored my previous post where I wrote that it's rather impossible that the-numbers convert their data on daily basis.  Of course 2.79 mln it's not a big diffrence, but i'm just curious:)

The $110m figure includes Friday's numbers.

14 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

No it doesnt, with friday's numbers it's over $111 mln.

From Gavin on Thur:

Homecoming  -  6.15m / 717.6m (posted in this thread)

Thursday was at $108m. 

http://www.cbooo.cn/movieday confirms those numbers are from Thursday (2017-09-21)

$110.8m (the $110m figure I was talking about) is not far off of $111m.  Those numbers are Friday.

My question is, that if you know the numbers are from Friday, why are you saying the number is off by millions when you know the-numbers numbers are from Thursday?

Edited by Awesomer

6 minutes ago, Awesomer said:

From Gavin on Thur:

Homecoming  -  6.15m / 717.6m

Thursday was at $108m. 

http://www.cbooo.cn/movieday confirms those numbers are from Thursday (2017-09-21)

$110.8m (the $110m figure I was talking about) is not far off of $111m.  Those numbers are Friday.

You can check gavin's twitter and you will see that you' re not right.

4 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

You can check gavin's twitter and you will see that you' re not right.

I see now on his twitter site.  There seems to be some discrepancy. He did certainly post the 717.6m number on here for his Thur number, but then said something totally different on his twitter feed for the 14th day.

I'm at a loss.

Edited by Awesomer

4 minutes ago, Awesomer said:

I see now on his twitter site.  There seems to be some discrepancy. He did certainly post the 717.6m number on here for his Thur number, but then said something totally different on his twitter feed for the 14th day.

I'm at a loss.

Well i'm not sure if there is some discrepancy between gavin's twitter and his post on this site, he probably used diffrent ER than guys from the-numbers.com.

This is an endless debate. At the end, the best way to measure an amount in a foreign market is the local currency. I find a bit absurd (no offense) to discuss about some dollars if ER changes every day. You should look at the fact that SMH is in the same league than recent SH films: 600-800 million Yuan.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, peludo said:

This is an endless debate. At the end, the best way to measure an amount in a foreign market is the local currency. I find a bit absurd (no offense) to discuss about some dollars if ER changes every day. You should look at the fact that SMH is in the same league than recent SH films: 600-800 million Yuan.

You're 100% right that it's an absurd to use other currency than yuan in thread about china box office, in my defence i was curious if sm:h can beat spiderman3(worldwide), and become highest grossing movie in spiderman franchise. And this is only reason why i'm curious how BOM and the-numbers calculate gross from china. Now it's obvious that sm:h wouldn't beat s3, and it's seems it's not easy to figure out why gavin BOM and the-numbers have slightly different numbers so we can end this debate.

Edited by weresweresweres
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, weresweresweres said:

You're 100% right that it's an absurd to use other currency than yuan in thread about china box office, in my defence i was curious if sm:h can beat spiderman3(worldwide), and become highest grossing movie in spiderman franchise. And this is only reason why i'm curious how BOM and the-numbers calculate gross from china. Now it's obvious that sm:h wouldn't beat s3, and it's seems it's not easy to figure out why gavin BOM and the-numbers have slightly different numbers so we can end this debate.

Just to point that in 2007, ER were waaaaay better than now nearly everywhere. Applying the same ER, SMH wins over SM3 (not adjusted by inflation, though)

Edited by peludo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, peludo said:

Just to point that in 2007, ER were waaaaay better than now nearly everywhere. Applying the same ER, SMH wins over SM3 (not adjusted by inflation, though)

You have a good point, considering on how much ER fluctuated over last decade it's quite pointless using simple comparison which movie earned more money. Maybe number of admissions would be better indicator. Or maybe I should shut up and just enjoy fact that this was a good movie, which earned a lot of money:P

1 hour ago, weresweresweres said:

You have a good point, considering on how much ER fluctuated over last decade it's quite pointless using simple comparison which movie earned more money. Maybe number of admissions would be better indicator. Or maybe I should shut up and just enjoy fact that this was a good movie, which earned a lot of money:P

Please don't shut up. I did not try that :P

During 2007 ER were better than now. But in 2007 Chinese market size was a joke comparing it with today's. And then you have to apply inflation+3D+other expanded markets. As you well say, WW admissions would be, IMO, a better indicator, but it is really hard to calculate.

For that reason, and turning back to Chinese numbers, I prefer to compare Spidey's figures with recent similar films like Doctor Strange, Logan, GOTG2, Wonder Woman, and it is pretty on par to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peludo said:

Please don't shut up. I did not try that :P

During 2007 ER were better than now. But in 2007 Chinese market size was a joke comparing it with today's. And then you have to apply inflation+3D+other expanded markets. As you well say, WW admissions would be, IMO, a better indicator, but it is really hard to calculate.

For that reason, and turning back to Chinese numbers, I prefer to compare Spidey's figures with recent similar films like Doctor Strange, Logan, GOTG2, Wonder Woman, and it is pretty on par to them.

I understand that it would be very hard to calculate how many people watched this movie, but I'm happy that you agree with me that it would be better indicator to measure popularity of movies:)

38 minutes ago, scabab said:

So according to Cbooo Spider-man Homecoming is at 740 million Yuan right now.

That's about $112 million. So the estimate of $115 million total doesn't seem right does it?

Sun over 10 mln Yuan

Monday-Friday 2.5-4 mln yuan everyday (total more than 10 mln yuan)

Sat dead

The-numbers informed that after friday it was $109 mln, so another 6 seems right. 

• Like 1