A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

4 hours ago, scabab said:

So according to Cbooo Spider-man Homecoming is at 740 million Yuan right now.

That's about $112 million. So the estimate of $115 million total doesn't seem right does it?

With all these changing ER who knows anymore?

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

How will Apes hold this weekend?

I think it's looking at a 112-119m ($17-18m) 2nd weekend which is a 70.5-72% drop from 402m ($61m) ow.

$61 ow + $20 mon-thu + $17-18 2nd-weekend = $98-99 10-day

Edited by a2knet

2 hours ago, druv10 said:

Studios unlike BOM don't convert final total with current ER. 

We always use opening day or weekend exchange rates. Our editor visited many years ago Hollywood and they said it's the best way. I totally agree. 

Using current exchange rates is much worse. For example last week Wolf Warrior 2 total on BoM went down from $866 mln to $861.8 mln. Next week it will decrease even more. WW2 opening day ER was 6.7373. Two weeks ago when Spidery opened was the best ER in a long time 6.5023. But now it's 6.5861. 

I'm always using Middle Exchange Rate of RMB from Chinese State Administration of Foreign Exchange. 

http://www.safe.gov.cn/wps/portal/english/Home

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Awesomer said:

Yes, just typed the wrong number.

According to BOM Spider-man 3 earned 890.9, and according to the-numbers 894.9, so it's hard to say how much sm:h would have to earn to be no.1 in franchise history. If we assume that Sony would rather choose lower number (it's easier to sell blu-ray of best-selling movie in spider-man franchise history than 2 best) with $131 mln in china spider-man would have to gross 759.9 outside china, according to BOM it's already 757.59, and after sunday it will be around 759, so i think even with less than $130 mln in china sm:h would outperformed s3.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

According to BOM Spider-man 3 earned 890.9, and according to the-numbers 894.9, so it's hard to say how much sm:h would have to earn to be no.1 in franchise history. If we assume that Sony would rather choose lower number (it's easier to sell blu-ray of best-selling movie in spider-man franchise history than 2 best) with $131 mln in china spider-man would have to gross 759.9 outside china, according to BOM it's already 757.59, and after sunday it will be around 759, so i think even with less than $130 mln in china sm:h would outperformed s3.

I like your optimism :)

At least I'm not disappointed about Spider-Mzn Homecoming in China, it's a relatively good number for such a movie there. Curious to see if Thor 3 and Justice League can beat this....

By the way, will Jumanji have a Chinese release?

10 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I like your optimism :)

At least I'm not disappointed about Spider-Mzn Homecoming in China, it's a relatively good number for such a movie there. Curious to see if Thor 3 and Justice League can beat this....

By the way, will Jumanji have a Chinese release?

My optimism? I didn't say that sm:h will gross around around $130mln i just share my opinion that slightly less than $130mln in china  would be enough to be no.1 in spider-man franchise history. Unfortunetly it's not going to gross even$120 mln, of course it's still great achievement but not enough to beat spider-man 3 worldwide.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, weresweresweres said:

Yeah, well it's pretty much dead everywhere else.  And We are talking about beating $890.9, not tying, so I was basing on the movie ending at $760m in all territories (other than China).  It's having a little better staying power than expected in the US, the $131m (I guesstimated the figure 5 weeks ago) number might have a swing by as much as $3.5m, so lets say $127.5m needed from China at the low end.

Edited by Awesomer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, scabab said:

Well if it's at $114.5 million then it's gonna pass the $115 million estimate mentioned here at least.

Still can't do $120 million? 

According to Gavin it's already $116.5 mln, but the-numbers estimations was $110mln after saturday(Gavin had 114.5). Considering on fact that the-numbers  should be consider as much more official source than Gavin it's still long way to $115, and if ER will change (yuan is getting stronger recently) current number will be DECLINING.

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

War of Apes breakdown:

1st wknd 402.1m ($61.0m)

mon-thu 130.0m ($19.7m)

2nd wknd 122.6m ($18.6m) -69.5%

10-day cume 654.7m ($99.3m) 

It will make 42m m-th. 

Maybe 7m friday. It doesnt look like it'll have many shows on Sat. Storks had 4% of shows last year but the local movies are going to open double this year. May only make 20m more

725m -???

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, POTUS said:

It will make 42m m-th. 

Maybe 7m friday. It doesnt look like it'll have many shows on Sat. Storks had 4% of shows last year but the local movies are going to open double this year. May only make 20m more

725m -???

that would be a ~1.80x multiplier. lower than expected but makes sense going by the 8.2/10 rating.

• Like 1