Fullbuster

Death Note : Hollywood MUST do it!

Posted Image

Death Note (デスノート Desu Nōto?) is a Japanese manga series created by writer Tsugumi Ohba and manga artist Takeshi Obata. The main character is Light Yagami, a high school student who discovers a supernatural notebook, the "Death Note", dropped on Earth by a shinigami (a god of death) named Ryuk. The Death Note grants its user the ability to kill anyone whose name and face they know, by writing the name in the notebook while picturing their face. The series centers around Light's attempt to create and rule a world "cleansed of evil" as "God" using the notebook, and the efforts of a detective known as L to stop him.

The concept is just fantastic, that could be so awesome!

I assume you know of the two Japanese films already made?Thought they were both pretty good.

Yeah I know, I watched the first one, but I didn't like it, that was a little bit strange, I guess I'm not used to Asian movies.My first Asian movie was Japanese : Battle Royal.I want a Hollywood movie with ambitious casting and FX, I'm really a fan of Hollywood movies.

It just wouldn't work as a movie. The story requires a lot of character development and all the side stories are really important. There's no way they could tell a meaningful version of it in 2 hours.

So they can make a trilogy.I'm sure people could love this concept.I enjoyed the manga, it was fantastic!

• Community Manager

Like they ruined comics? Oh wait.....Hollywood is great, I have no doubts about their ability to adapt this better than anyone :)

They have the ability to both adapt better than anyone but to also ruin better than anyone.I've never seen or read Death Note, but it's usually not a good idea to adapt an episodic series into a film. I'm also not sure there is a large enough audience for a Death Note film. It's large fanbase is still rather niche and the anime films released in America don't do that well.

Tintin is French/Belgium but Spielberg transformed this in a great movie.

French/Belgian culture is not that far removed from American culture. Japan, on the other hand, is significantly more different. I wouldn't trust Hollywood to do it justice.