Blankments

Blankments' Reviews, Y5 (Top 25 Completed!)

TV doesn't equal movies. They have such different styles, I don't really see them working together on a film, let alone one they're just writing. And for the ensemble, I would use more TV actors than big name stars, which is what you did. Sydow, in his age, I honestly don't see doing a blockbuster. Just like how I don't see Betty White doing a blockbuster...

A star of any age can star in a blockbuster. Ben Kingsley is starring in Iron Man 3...Also, Betty White has a CAMEO. Small part to amuse the audience.

Ben Kingsley is 68. Max Von Sydow is in his 80s... :P

To be fair I plan to cast Max von Sydow in Starcraft Brood War as Admiral Gerard DuGalle. He's a dead ringer for both the look and voice of that game character. Plus that character pretty much stays on a ship walking and talking almost the entire time so there's no physical stress for the role.

To be fair I plan to cast Max von Sydow in Starcraft Brood War as Admiral Gerard DuGalle. He's a dead ringer for both the look and voice of that game character. Plus that character pretty much stays on a ship walking and talking almost the entire time so there's no physical stress for the role.

That'll be fine, not much physical work compared to Pyramid, which I think was a physically demanding role. My main issue with RP was the insanely star-studded cast. Anyways, I don't know if you saw this question, so here it is again:

Numbers, on a side note, when I get to Shark Mutiny, is knowledge of U.S.S. Seawolf required? It's a pseudo-sequel, so I don't know...

Anyways, I don't know if you saw this question, so here it is again:

I did not see the question. I can give you a very brief run-down of what you need to know here:

U.S.S. Seawolf was about the most advanced U.S. submarine and its crew being taken hostage by the Chinese, who planned to extract information from the sub's systems and interrogating the crew very harshly. One of the crew was the President's son and it was a mistake he made that led to the sub falling into Chinese hands. After a rescue operation takes the crew back and destroys the sub, the son is going to be brought up on court martial charges for his mistake, but the President forces the Navy as Commander-in-Chief to let his son off the hook. This forces Arnold Morgan, the National Security Advisor who was the man behind the rescue operation, to resign in protest. Meanwhile Admiral Zhang Yushu, the Chinese leader behind the sub crew's imprisonment, is embarassed by the failure to keep the sub and crew but is determined to push past it.

That just gives you the background that the Shark Mutiny takes place in for 3 of the characters who recur in the film (President, Morgan, and Yushu).

Edited by 4815162342

Thank you, Numbers.A question for everyone: Would you rather have me do another round of reviews, or start my top 25?

It's your choice. I think now that I'm finished my round of reviews I'll go do my top 25 and come back to do more reviews if I still have time.

Okay, here's what I'm doing: I've already reviewed everyone's first choice. Now, I'm moving onto my first (or second) choice of everyone's movies, with the exception of The Creator, since I've already reviewed two of his movies. After that, I'll do my Top 25 and go back to reviewing if it's still before Oscars.

These will all be short reviews, with the exception of those who I gave short reviews the first time.

Chris Smith and the Island of the Dinosaurs:

Chris Smith follows a very simple plotline... but, y'know what? I didn't care! This is just a fun movie, no doubt about it. Hemsworth should do voice-acting more often, because a main reason the movie works is how great the main character is. The action scenes were exciting to watch, and Kitsch wasn't terrible! Chris Smith and the Island of the Dinosaurs proves to be the first animated movie this year that I outright loved.

8/10

• Like 1

Nonexistence:

Nonexistence. Wow. I was expecting a totally different movie with that title. Sounded a sci-fi blockbuster, but I got a fascinating character drama with a sci-fi twist. That's not a bad thing at all, as Nonexistence is the best Zemeckis movie since Roger Rabbit. Mark Ruffalo commands the movie with fantastic acting, and the rest of the small cast does well too. The story is really fascinating, which seems very original, although it draws from other films.

Zemeckis directs the film phenomenally, bringing his sci-fi sensibilites from Back to the Future to the real-world drama of Flight, and it works shockingly well. As previously mentioned, Ruffalo is great, and should be in an Oscar campaign. My only complaint with the movie was the forgettable score. I can't even remember who wrote it. That said, Nonexistence is an instant sci-fi classic, and is not to be missed.

9/10

Hindenburg:

I generally hate movies with episodic plotlines, but Hindenburg makes it work to great effect. Singer delivers the first movie that makes him a serious Oscar contender, and he proves a great choice for the tragic disaster movie that is quite similar to Titanic. The ensemble cast is fantastic, but some performances need to singled out. Christoph Waltz is great is the ship's captain, and Michael Fassbender is a nice everyman, but the best performance is Channing Tatum's convincing engineer; I hope he gets an Oscar nomination for his performance. The IMAX cinematography is breathtaking, showing the beauty and terror of the disaster in great clarity.

The script is tight and, to my knowledge, historically accurate. Story 3 and 5 are the best as they are the most human of the stories, but all of them are fascinating tales. The aforementioned Story 5 is a tearjerker, that will make even the most manly man cry. Ottman gives a decent score, but I would've love to see how James Horner or John Williams would do this movie. Perhaps Hindenburg should've switched composers with Dawn of Oblivion? Regardless, Hindenburg is an excellent film, and the must-watch of the summer.

9.5/10

• Like 1

The Shark Mutiny:

The Shark Mutiny is an interesting flick. The acting is excellent, and the ensemble does a great job. Stathairn is a perfect president, continuing his role from U.S.S. Seawolf. The action scenes are thrilling to watch, but also sometimes wonderfully disturbing. If one easily gets a sick stomach at the theater, they should stay at home. Indeed, this film earns its R-rating like no other this year, even more than Santa Claus: Ultimate Badass and Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson 3. ;)

However, I wish I could say that the script was perfect. Don't get me wrong, it was thrilling and had some great twists and turns. Yet, the characters didn't grab. They aren't flat or anything, I just found them unattractive, and not that interesting. However, the action scenes are staged perfectly by director Sam Mendes, who proves once again just how awesome his movies are, and I cannot wait for his next flick after this. Overall, Shark Mutiny is a fine film, but with a little more character development, it would've been an easy Best Picture.

8.5/10

My top 25 is ready. However, I have an odd predicament: my current top 25 is lopsided in my favor. I can either post my current, or I can cut out two of my movies that are pretty equal with other's movies. Whoever posts next decides which one is my official list. :P