The Stingray

The Departed Vs. Miami Vice.

The Departed Vs. Miami Vice.  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

2. 2. Do you think The Departed is overrated?

3. 3. Do you think Miami Vice is underrated?

When I first saw The Departed I thought it was pretty good. Not great like some of Scorsese's earlier work, but a lot better than what he had done in recent years.

When I first saw Miami Vice I did not enjoy it all that much. But with each successive viewing the movie has grown on me... a lot. I now think it is one of the most underrated movies of the 2000s. Not perfect by any means, but riveting stuff nonetheless.

The reasons I compare these two are:

1. Because they both deal with men deep undercover, and all the stress, anxieties etc. that entails.

2. They came out the same year, and while The Departed was heralded as a masterpiece and won all the Oscars, Miami Vice would be considered somewhat mediocre.

I beg to differ. The Departed has a really clever premise (which it cribbed from Infernal Affairs, obviously), but overall I think Miami Vice does a better job at showcasing what these men actually have to go through and the pressure that they constantly live under.

Well, that's my opinion at least. But what's yours?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Miami vice is a complete bore whilst The Departed was smart, engaging and entertaining throughout its heafty running time. It's no competition.The best thing about Miami Vice was its trailer and occasional beautiful scenery shot, other than that it was nothing special and certainly isn't underrated.

The Departed. Have seen it several times. I've seen Miami Vice once and was underwhelmed. But now that you mention I think I'll give it another go.I liked the TV show much better, lol."I can feel it coming in the air tonight"

I voted for The DEPARTED and No and No on your Poll... MIAMI VICE never should've been conceived as a movie and should've remained in the memory of the goofy yet violent TV Show of the 80's right down to the white polyester Don Johnson used to sport every week..

No socks with loafters.

I don't know. I'm gonna give it another shot and see if I can look at it as a whole and not compare it to the tv show at all. But my first impression was really that Colin Farrell was miscast.

Yeah?? Well MIAMI VICE was probably one of the biggest crime shows of the 80's right down to the soundtrack with Phil Collins and comparing MIAMI VICE to the A-TEAM is like night and day..

I'm comparing the movies, not the shows. Cameo pop-ins fits something like the A-Team movie, which has a much lighter tone. Not a serious Michael Mann movie.

I don't said that you should like it too I like it is my own choice. I can also say your taste is not good. It is up to you only, if you like the movie this don't mean I should like it too...

I'm just saying your choice is wrong :) Edited by Jessie

Don't get me wrong, I adore both movies, but Miami Vice has style and that absolutely sublime soundtrack. The Departed has the cast only (because the story is a copy).

Miami Vice A+

The Departed A

Michael Mann rarely makes a bad movie. Scorsese, on the other hand, has made bucket loads.

Don't get me wrong, I adore both movies, but Miami Vice has style and that absolutely sublime soundtrack. The Departed has the cast only (because the story is a copy).

Miami Vice A+

The Departed A

Michael Mann rarely makes a bad movie. Scorsese, on the other hand, has made bucket loads.

Uh okay then...

Michael Mann has gone downhill with Miami Vice and Public Enemies, both being huge let downs. It's insulting to compare a film like Departed to a portly written bore of a movie Miami Vice that has no substance what so ever. Though it did have a good soundtrack.