iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

350m with inflation and 3d is still a massive drop in attendance.That s why everybody, including me, thought 400m+ dom would be a walk in Central Park.It still baffles me people don't get why this movie can't ignite passion. It doesn't mean the movie is bad, it means the movie lacks that little something that makes it a must see event.I realy believe TH 2 can do way better because Smaug will be The Transformers/Hulk of the movie.

It is sad that a movie poised to win the holiday season is still seen as a not must see event.

.It still baffles me people don't get why this movie can't ignite passion. It doesn't mean the movie is bad, it means the movie lacks that little something that makes it a must see event.

I`d just wait a little longer, until we see Saturday performance, to settle the passion or lack thereof matter. But the thing is, TH book does not have passionate following. It`s a popular book, read by many, but without passionate fanbase like LOTR. Tolkienism really started with LOTR and LOTR is the carrier of Tolkien cult. TH just gets by because it`s a sorta prequel (well, LOTR`s sorta sequel) but it never had the same impact, fandom,etc.

I realy believe TH 2 can do way better because Smaug will be The Transformers/Hulk of the movie.

Say it ain`t so. If Smaug is the only reason why people would see this an masse, not because they care for main characters, than this is a bad news. Hulk may have been scene stealer but he was not the only reason why people were pumped for TA. I hope you see the difference that Hulk was also one of main characters and Smaug is not. He`s an episode in Bilbo&dwarves quest. If Bilbo&dwarves are not the main reason to stick around than money shot of a talking dragon won`t lift the business. You have to care for characters first to care for whatever menace comes their way. Edited by fishnets

I`d just wait a little longer, until we see Saturday performance, to settle the passion or lack thereof matter. But the thing is, TH book does not have passionate following. It`s a popular book, read by many, but without passionate fanbase like LOTR. Tolkienism really started with LOTR and LOTR is the carrier of Tolkien cult. TH just gets by because it`s a sorta prequel (well, LOTR`s sorta sequel) but it never had the same impact, fandom,etc.Well, that s what I've been trying to explain here for months.

NZ has underwhelmed too.

Nice to see Kiwis breaking away from PJ cult. I expected that his excessive in-your-face wealth (it`s one thing to build a Neverland-like mansion in a neighbourhood with similar riches and totally another when you do that where people are normal middle class) and diminishing quality of movies would bite him in the ass at home at some point.

Yes.FOTR and TTT don't come close to 1.5B.

Yes, you are right. I have made a quick calculation applying a 2% yearly inflation and using exchange rates change along this years and all of them are about 1.35-1.4 billion. Expanding markets became late for LOTR ;)

Yes, you are right. I have made a quick calculation applying a 2% yearly inflation and using exchange rates change along this years and all of them are about 1.35-1.4 billion. Expanding markets became late for LOTR ;)

Did TDK have expended markets or not? I know that DMC didn`t and yet made more WW than OST with expended markets. And Titanic didn`t have markets at all or something.

Did TDK have expended markets or not? I know that DMC didn`t and yet made more WW than OST with expended markets. And Titanic didn`t have markets at all or something.

For that reason I'm saying 1.35-1.4 billion. I was not comparing with others beasts. Titanic should have done today 3-3.5 billion. I have not imagined what LOTR could have done today in China, Russia, ... I have limited myself to adjust figures from BOM with 2% yearly inflation (extremely low for some countries, and extremely generous for another like Japan) and exchange rates. On average, selling the same amount of admissions than they did, the three movies should have landed in the range I have said.

Box office observers, however, are cautioning that the elementary school shooting in Newton, Conn., that left 26 people dead, including 20 children, could dampen moviegoing among families. The killing rampage is a reminder of the mass theater shooting in Colorado last summer that left 12 dead and 58 others injured. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/peter-jacksons-hobbit-eyeing-82-402969

And the curse continues.