Moviedweeb

Biggest Box Office hit of all time–all things considered (Poll)

Biggest B.O. Hit  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the biggest box office hit–all things considered

• Gone with the Wind
    • The Exorcist
    • Jaws
    • Star Wars
    • E.T.
    • Jurassic Park
    • Titanic

as a Single film Maybe Titanic, but as a franchise as a whole definitely Star Wars, First one was the number film of all time it's Release by a large margin. it's been re-released multiple times.. is going to be released again in 3D .. they have the best selling movie action figure line ever.. thats still going strong today, it spawned multiple TV Shows.. (Ewoks, Star Wars Droids, Clone Wars, The Clone Wars) TV Movies. made dozen of video Games, including two extremely popular MMO Games. hundreds of books and Comics. most kids today still know what it is and watch it. has had about half a dozen Video/Dvd Releases. 6 Films.. and more to come. star wars spawned a legacy unlike any film has in history.

Also leading into the most successful sequel of all time (ESB) makes it an even bigger achievement. In 1980, had there ever been a blockbuster sequel? (Box office info on The Godfather 2 seems to be inconsistent).Is Star Wars the first film that was so huge that it almost guaranteed a blockbuster sequel?

Also leading into the most successful sequel of all time (ESB) makes it an even bigger achievement. In 1980, had there ever been a blockbuster sequel? (Box office info on The Godfather 2 seems to be inconsistent).Is Star Wars the first film that was so huge that it almost guaranteed a blockbuster sequel?

That would be JAWS.
  • Like 1

Yup, what baumer said. Jaws was the original blockbuster. 1st movie to make 100m in the States.

umm that's actually not true, it was however the first to make over $200m. but Stars Wars was the First to make over $300m Edited by Kalo21

all things considered means we have to count the OS take right?

I think OS should absolutely be considered (Star Wars can still be considered the biggest hit despite Titanic perhaps being the triumph overseas--but even that statement involves so many factors which can be argued). Edited by Clavius

umm that's actually not true, it was however the first to make of $200m. but Stars Wars was the First to make over $300m

Jaws was absolutely the original blockbuster and $100m DOM in the 1970s was a blockbuster (especially when considering the budgets of the time and ticket prices).

Jaws was absolutely the original blockbuster and $100m DOM in the 1970s was a blockbuster (especially when considering the budgets of the time and ticket prices).

oh I know, Jaws was considered the first true blockbuster. but there were films before it to make over $100m (Sound of Music, The Godfather ect..)

oh I know, Jaws was considered the first true blockbuster. but there were films before it to make over $100m (Sound of Music, The Godfather ect..)

O gotcha and I have to correct my statement, Jaws was the absolute first summer blockbuster and single handedly changed the industry conception that people wouldn't want to sit in a movie theater during a nice summer day. Since then the summer has become increasingly crowded leading to more dependence on the opening weekend and a huge increase in the amount of the theaters each film is released in. Edited by Clavius
  • Like 2

umm that's actually not true, it was however the first to make over $200m. but Stars Wars was the First to make over $300m

let's not get into this again. SW didn;t make 300 in its first run and JAWS was the first to make 100 million in admissions. But for now, none of this is what's being discussed. So we can just leave at JAWS was the first blockbuster, especially summer blockbuster.

let's not get into this again. SW didn;t make 300 in its first run and JAWS was the first to make 100 million in admissions. But for now, none of this is what's being discussed. So we can just leave at JAWS was the first blockbuster, especially summer blockbuster.

One question lol, what are your thoughts on The Exorcist? Did that make over 100m in its initial theatrical release? Wikipedia says it made $66.3m million from rentals during the 1974 release which I believe is more than $100m since rentals are usually 50% of theatrical grosses. But Jaws is widely considered the first blockbuster so I am assuming I'm missing something. But what is it?

Well according to Boxofficemojo Star Wars Made $307.3m in it's First Release..

and Jaws isn't revered today as Star Wars is. I in fact found the film quite boring.

and this thread isn't about the first blockbuster.

Edited by Kalo21

BOM does not account for all releases and even states the following on the adjusted for inflation page:

"Most pre-1980 pictures achieved their totals through multiple releases, especially Disney animated features which made much of their totals in the past few decades belying their original release dates in terms of adjustment. For example, Snow White has made $118,328,683 of its unadjusted $184,925,486 total since 1983" (http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm)

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 1

BOM does not account for all releases and even states the following on the adjusted for inflation page:

"Most pre-1980 pictures achieved their totals through multiple releases, especially Disney animated features which made much of their totals in the past few decades belying their original release dates in terms of adjustment. For example, Snow White has made $118,328,683 of its unadjusted $184,925,486 total since 1983" (http://boxofficemojo...me/adjusted.htm)

yeah I pretty much figured that.

It would be great to have them all but the whole box office fascination tihng is more of a post-80s fascination (after films like Jaws and Star Wars became giant financial success stories nationwide).

yes it would.

I'm also interested in how much The Exorcist and The Sting made during their initial release. Especially considering they got released one day apart - The Sting on December 25, 1973 and The Exorcist on December 26. Both were notable pre-Jaws monsters, but obviously couldn't have made over $150m each without re-releases.

• Like 1

and Jaws isn't revered today as Star Wars is. I in fact found the film quite boring.

and this thread isn't about the first blockbuster.

I can get you a link that shows that SW didn't make 300 mill in its first run but I don't have the time for it right now. We went through this for months at Mojo.

And your opinion of JAWS is your own, but it's also wrong. ;)