Moviedweeb

Biggest Box Office hit of all time–all things considered (Poll)

Biggest B.O. Hit  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the biggest box office hit–all things considered

• Gone with the Wind
    • The Exorcist
    • Jaws
    • Star Wars
    • E.T.
    • Jurassic Park
    • Titanic

I would love to say Star Wars, because no one, not even George Lucas himself thought it would be this big of a success. However, I have to give it to Titanic for these reasons:

1. The budget exploded to, at that time, a record of 200M

2. It was supposed to be a Summer release and Paramount almost dropped Cameron for the time delay and the need for reshoots.

3. DiCaprio and Winslet were virtually unknowns.

4. Everyone already knew that the ship was going to sink.

5. The length of the movie.

What happened in the Winter of 97/98 was remarkable beyond comparison. No film ever got to 400M, then 500M and then, finally 600M before. No film had gotten to 1B (oversees alone!) before. Titanic was supposed to be a disaster (pun intended) of a film, yet it blew away every obstacle in its wake. It got the casual movie goer, it got couples, families, friends, and yes... even enemies to talk about it. Celien Deon's song was the most heard movie song, perhaps ever. James Cameron went into hiding for 12 years after that. A topic that had tepid at best response in its previous dozen or so movies, became the Gold Standard for modern releases. No film - Jaws, Star Wars and E.T. excluded - sold more tickets than it in one run... in 1998!

Power, simply power.

Well, Titanic had this problem as well. I mean, everyone, including Cameron himself, believed that it was gonna be a boxoffice disaster.
  • Like 2

Of the ones in the poll:1. Titanic (worldwide phenomenon #1)2. Star Wars: A New Hope (American phenomenon)3. Avatar (worldwide phenomenon #2)4. E.T.5. Jaws (1st blockbuster, 1st +100m movie)6. The Exorcist (1st horror blockbuster) PS: Gone with the Wind came out on a very different planet. Don't know how to compare it.

Well you're talking about today's generation that think Nolan is some sort of fimmaking God which is why they tossed it in there.. I mean, 2 votes for TDK over 0 for JAWS until I voted for it?? :rofl: Really??? :dunce: This Poll is an EPIC FAIL on that part alone..

What are you yapping about?! Nolan IS a filmmaking God.

TDK would have made around 800m if it had 3D. TDKR would have made approximately 700m if it weren't for Aurora + 3D.

So the real All Time domestic list actually reads:

1. The Dark Knight - 818m

2. Avatar - 760m

3. The Dark Knight Rises - 703m

4. Titanic - 659m

5. The Avengers - 623m

:)

Edited by Don Niam The Stingray

A filmmaking god that can't direct action scenes and choregraph close fights for his own good, don't give a flying poo about script plot holes and plot contrivances all over the place, let truly awful performance (Talia's death, worst on-screen death ever) make the cut, make his characters deliver entire pieces of exposition for the GA even if it doesn't make sense in context (Daggett lines) and so on...Or God is severely flawed like Man as he was created as his spitting image...

Edited by dashrendar44

TDK would have made around 800m if it had 3D. TDKR would have made approximately 700m if it weren't for Aurora + 3D.

2. Avatar - 760m

4. Titanic - 659m

5. The Avengers - 623m

Posted Image
  • Like 5

The amazing thing about Titanic is that 15 years later, it is still comparable unadjusted in so many markets.Netherlands, Brazil, Japan, to name a couple Titanic outgrossed Avatar even with ticket price raises, 3D, inflation and whatever else you can throw at it.It is still the number one movie in a few territories and there can't be many pre-Avatar films, let alone pre 21st century films still holding box office somewhere.

2. Avatar - 760m

4. Titanic - 659m

5. The Avengers - 623m

:rofl: :rofl:
  • Like 1

Its not bullshit. Its real shit. But you wouldn't know nothing about that cause you're just a big Barry White looking motherf***er!! :P

Can you explain to me why TDK is the only one that gets adjusted on your list? Why wouldn't Titanic be adjusted to over a billion, at least.
  • Like 1

Anybody else think it's a little strange that Avatar still has no votes considering it is currently number one both domestically and worldwide? Maybe we over-think things too much on here ;)

The reason is quite simple. People either vote for Titanic or against Titanic and the latter are two groups - one group are Nolanites and another group are anything-before-Titanic-was-bigger-when-adjusted.However, Titanic will always win polls like this because most people hanging out here remember Titanicmania and Titanic is hands down the movie that made people interested in following boxoffice. And because it`s the best movie ever. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

The reason is quite simple. People either vote for Titanic or against Titanic and the latter are two groups - one group are Nolanites and another group are anything-before-Titanic-was-bigger-when-adjusted.However, Titanic will always win polls like this because most people hanging out here remember Titanicmania and Titanic is hands down the movie that made people interested in following boxoffice. And because it`s the best movie ever.

Well I voted for Titanic but Star Wars is the best movie ever ;)

The reason is quite simple. People either vote for Titanic or against Titanic and the latter are two groups - one group are Nolanites and another group are anything-before-Titanic-was-bigger-when-adjusted.

However, Titanic will always win polls like this because most people hanging out here remember Titanicmania and Titanic is hands down the movie that made people interested in following boxoffice. And because it`s the best movie ever.

:bravo:

Can you explain to me why TDK is the only one that gets adjusted on your list? Why wouldn't Titanic be adjusted to over a billion, at least.

I hope you realize that I was only goofing around. :)PS: 818m is not TDK's adjusted gross. Its what it would have made had it been in 3D. ;)

The reason is quite simple. People either vote for Titanic or against Titanic and the latter are two groups - one group are Nolanites and another group are anything-before-Titanic-was-bigger-when-adjusted.

However, Titanic will always win polls like this because most people hanging out here remember Titanicmania and Titanic is hands down the movie that made people interested in following boxoffice. And because it`s the best movie ever.

Naa, it was The Phantom Menace for me. ;)