Moviedweeb

Biggest Box Office hit of all time–all things considered (Poll)

Biggest B.O. Hit  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the biggest box office hit–all things considered

• Gone with the Wind
    • The Exorcist
    • Jaws
    • Star Wars
    • E.T.
    • Jurassic Park
    • Titanic

• Founder / Operator

Probably Gone with the Wind if I had to choose one, but its really hard to definitively say. Impossible, really. I definitely wouldn't forget older movies like that and Snow White/Sound of Music in this discussion. Star Wars is a worthy contender as well, but films released during the Great Depression (like GWTW) achieved massive success despite the lack of readily available theaters and a truly shambled economy when expendable income was in short supply.

1. You sure SW made 300M OS in 1977 ?2. Even 300M in 1977 is not comparable with Titanic 1.2B in 1997.Titanic all the way.

Pretty sure about the 300 mill in 1977 and the 300 mill in 1977 is from about half the markets as Titanic, if that. The world wide market for films in the 70's was nothing close to what it is now or in the 90's. So all due respect to Titanic, which is one of my faves of all time, it is not better than 300 mill in 1977. In fact, try to find out what film at the time was the highest grossing film internationally. I'm pretty sure it was SW.
  • Like 1

Talking about which is bigger OS depends, obviously, on every country. In my country, Spain, Titanic beats Star Wars. 11.3 million admissions against 6.9 million. Domestically I have few doubts that Star Wars was bigger than Titanic, but my impression is that Titanic was bigger than SW in most OS countries. In some of them, quite bigger, as happened here.

Talking about which is bigger OS depends, obviously, on every country. In my country, Spain, Titanic beats Star Wars. 11.3 million admissions against 6.9 million. Domestically I have few doubts that Star Wars was bigger than Titanic, but my impression is that Titanic was bigger than SW in most OS countries. In some of them, quite bigger, as happened here.

And that is possible, but we don't know.

Gone with the Wind, then Star Wars, then Titanic/ET/Sound of Music.I'd give a personal shout-out to Forrest Gump, which imo tends to be underrated as far as its BO goes. You almost never have a straightforward drama make $200m dom these days (The Blind Side is the only one I can think of), and FG did $329m 18 years ago, off a $24m OW. Those might be the best legs since E.T. Yet I'm even more amazed by its $350m overseas gross, because while the message is universal, the story is still fairly deeply rooted in American culture and history.

• Like 1

1. Titanic (worldwide phenomenon #1)2. Star Wars: A New Hope (American phenomenon)3. Avatar (worldwide phenomenon #2)4. E.T.5. Jaws (1st blockbuster, 1st +100m movie)6. The Exorcist (1st horror blockbuster)7. The Blair With Project (1st micro budget + viral marketing = blockbuster success)8. The Passion of the Christ9. The Avengers (1st +200m OW)10. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (biggest 19th-33rd weekends)

Edited by Don Niam The Stingray

as a Single film Maybe Titanic, but as a franchise as a whole definitely Star Wars, First one was the number film of all time it's Release by a large margin. it's been re-released multiple times.. is going to be released again in 3D .. they have the best selling movie action figure line ever.. thats still going strong today, it spawned multiple TV Shows.. (Ewoks, Star Wars Droids, Clone Wars, The Clone Wars) TV Movies. made dozen of video Games, including two extremely popular MMO Games. hundreds of books and Comics. most kids today still know what it is and watch it. has had about half a dozen Video/Dvd Releases. 6 Films.. and more to come. star wars spawned a legacy unlike any film has in history.

Edited by Kalo21
  • Like 1