Ezen Baklattan

CAYOM VI - Discussion Thread

What was it about?

It was a crime epic with parallel storylines taking place in 1895 and 1915 in Naples, Italy, following two brothers, with bookends taking place in 1883. To put it very simply:

The 1895 storyline follows the two brothers as they're about 17-18 years old. Their family is connected to the Mafia through their grandfather though their father does his best to maintain a relatively honest living though he still has connections he uses to keep the peace. However their parents are murdered in a Mafia-related hit so the rest of the storyline is one brother getting himself inducted into the Mafia organization to carry on the family legacy and keep order while the other searches for their parents' killer and get revenge. Suffice to say Brother 2 does get some revenge, but the result is him being convicted of multiple murders and sent to jail for life.

The 1915 storyline picks up with World War 1 in full swing and Italy joining the war. Brother 1 makes a deal with a rival Mafia lord (who we meet in the 1895 storyline as well when he's lower in the food chain) to get his brother out of jail, but the terms would be for him to get conscripted into the Italian Army. So Brother 2 agrees and goes to fight in World War 1 and we see trench battles and other stuff from his POV and he also falls in love with a woman near the front lines. Meanwhile Brother 1, who by 1915 is a full Mafia kingpin, is engaging in lots of politics and deals to try and outmanuver his rival who is making a power grab. Eventually Brother 2 deserts the army and returns home and the two brothers, still with very different ideas of how to get things done, have to figure out together a way to end the rival's bid for power.

I intended to make a sequel that would have spanned 1922 to 1945, but I never got around to making it.

Giant Spiders > GWTW  :P

Honestly, when I review it, I'm going to review it as three separate things really since that's the impression I got from it being talked up. Unless the three volumes are interconnected enough to really be a single unit.

Put up my last filler: If I wasn't using him for Chuck Norris, I was contemplating having Tarantino direct Honey Boo-Boo. ;)

Numbers, I hope that you remake your crime epic, it sounds really good, and I've love to read the whole thing. Also, they are kinda interconnected. Film one follows Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson, film two follows the other stars dealing the giant spiders, film three is them all getting rid of the giant spiders once and for all. You could review either as one film or three films; both would work.

It's probably the one thing I won't ever remake for this reason alone:

In Year 33 of the old CAYOM there was a grand tournament (March Madness style) that matched-up 64 films (all BP winners through Year 32 and then 32 nominated films) with the players selecting the winners of each matchup.

Final round was Numbers (Once Upon a Time in Italy, Year 22) vs. Numbers (Leningrad, Year 28) and Numbers (Once Upon a Time in Italy) won. So after having it crowned the greatest CAYOM film of the first 32 years, there's nowhere for it to go but down.

My policy is to only use Copy & Paste for fillers, and add a few details if necessary.

Fillers obviously no one should care, but if I am asked to review a major film and that film is a C&P with nothing extra added, that film won't be received as well as otherwise.

I generally copy-and-paste one or two of major films, adaptations that I don't really want to bother with, and then a majority of fillers. This year, I believe my only big copy-and-pastes are Unfortunate Events and Man of La Mancha, with Portal having some copy-and-paste but a lot of original writing, and then a lot of my fillers are copy-and-paste.