Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

It's hard to call this early. I think Fruitvale Station and Before Midnight probably have a good chance. Inside Llewyn Davis too bcos of the love for the Coens. Rush as well because early word is that it's really great. Gotta wait and see on everything else.

Before Midnight is locked for script, dialogues are just too sharp.

^this is an absolute lock. There's no way this will miss out. 

Inside Llewyn Davis also I'd say, at this point, has a 80% chance of getting a nom. It's something right up the Academy's alley. (well ish, but it's still pretty baity) I'm on the Fence about Fruitvale Station. It's good enough to get in, but it came out a bit too early. Also, it might get shafted by Harvey due to August, and even Grace, which I'm hearing is fantastic. It might turn out to be his third horse and therefore not get too much attention. Especially considering he produced August, and he hasn't been nominated for Best Picture since Gangs and hasn't won since Shakespeare in Love. He's pretty desperate now.  It might even be fourth after Philomena, which is also very good. However, what Fruitvale has going for it is that if he can get Octavia nominated, then he would've made history. No Black Actress has ever been nominated again after winning and he's all for making history with the headlines and all. That focus of firepower might push Fruitvale into the field fpr BP. 

Edited by riczhang

Ric, what are your predicts?

[*]Inside Llewyn Davis

[*]August: Osage County

[*]The Wolf of Wall Street

[*]Monuments Men

[*]Philomena

[*]American Hustle

[*]Blue Jasmine

[*]Gravity

[*]Le Passe

[*]12 Years a Slave

Just Outside: Fruitvale Station, Dalas Buyers Club, Nebraska, Captain Phillips, and Railway Man. 

NOTE: I really have no idea what I'm doing right now. Check back with me in 4 weeks. I'll give you something better then. 

Great call on HER. Nothing about its Oscar chances will be apparent until we hear some early word, but Jonze's prior history with the Academy (three nominations, including Best Director, for BEING JOHN MALKOVICH, four nominations for ADAPTATION.) definitely suggests it could be a dark horse. 

That's why it shocked me that WTWWA got zero noms. Despite what you think about the movie, that had fantastic costumes and art direction

[*]Inside Llewyn Davis

[*]August: Osage County

[*]The Wolf of Wall Street

[*]Monuments Men

[*]Philomena

[*]American Hustle

[*]Blue Jasmine

[*]Gravity

[*]Le Passe

[*]12 Years a Slave

I like Slave's 10th place cause it could get the boot if AMPAS goes with 9 or 8. Enough with White Guilt movies already especially after DU showed you can do it without WG shit.

Brace yourself Ric! I'm seeing El Snechitto de la Wiggolo Streepolo tomorrow.

I like Slave's 10th place cause it could get the boot if AMPAS goes with 9 or 8. Enough with White Guilt movies already especially after DU showed you can do it without WG shit.

Brace yourself Ric! I'm seeing El Snechitto de la Wiggolo Streepolo tomorrow.

Only one snatching Streep's oscar is dench. I'm seriously considering putting Dench at #1 in my predicts. I know she's that strong. I need to see August though, maybe TIFF.

Are we just haphazardly assigning the "white guilt" label to any film about black people now? Jesus.

Like Hatebox says, its the post-internet era. Everything has to be looked at with as much cynicism and post-modern irony as possible, otherwise you're not cool.

Yes, I know Steve McQueen is black, does it mean he can't direct a movie based on a White Guilt script? That thing looks like such a shameless bait it's embarrassing.

I'm glad that Slave supporters got their fair share of shock when DU turned out to be a major contender, not Kill Bill type of a romp that they "heard". Slave won't win shit after DU's great showing and maybe it won't be even nominated.

DU 4eva!

Edited by fishnets