Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

Don't get the confidence in DBC getting a spot. It missed the globes, the BFCA and the BAFTA. It only showed some stregth in the PGA wide 10 list. It was an obvious SAG nominee, but that only shows actors loved that films while the best picture race is decided by a totally different type of voters. Also, the support for heavy acting vehicles will spread through 12YAS, AH and Nebraska.

ONTOH, Philomena got three of the main precursors (Globe, BFCA, BAFTA), has the British touch (sooo important), is friendlier to the Academy tastes, and is having a very good BO run.

Dallas Buyers Club didn't miss with the BFCA, also it's SAG ensemble nomination was seen as a surprise by most, as well as it's WGA nomination over the Coen brothers, who are favorites there. And it got a nomination from the costume design guild over some baitier choices. There's a lot of love for that film, man.

• Like 1

ONTOH, Philomena got three of the main precursors (Globe, BFCA, BAFTA), has the British touch (sooo important), is friendlier to the Academy tastes, and is having a very good BO run.

I think Philomena is well liked but this category is just so damn crowded this year and maybe it's just too small a film to stand out.

It didn't get BFCA and I think the Globe and BAFTA noms are justifiable without bearing any significance on the Oscar race.

Philomena's BAFTA nom you could just say is them throwing a British film in the line-up, because it's kinda obligatory for them and the golden globe nom could be justified by saying it was a sorta weaker field. I mean, so many of the contenders were over in the comedy/musical category this year, anyway.

Philomena's BAFTA nom you could just say is them throwing a British film in the line-up, because it's kinda obligatory for them and the golden globe nom could be justified by saying it was a sorta weaker field. I mean, so many of the contenders were over in the comedy/musical category this year, anyway.

I think Saving Mr. Banks has a better chance but they are both targeting the same demographic. Philomena got in because the HFPA really loved it disproportionately to everyone else. It got in for BAFTA because it's the token Brit Best Picture nominee.

Saving Mr Banks may have not gotten the globe nod for Best Picture either because the Disney thing didn't translate to some of the foreign journalists or because it was sort of on the cusp of Drama and Comedy, and they didn't think it had the gravitas to compete in Drama.

I also maintain that SMB missed the SAG ensemble nod because it's a film about Hollywood and the creative process that almost entirely shuns the role of actors. I still think the film is a near lock for a nomination and I think a lot of the cynics that have been rallying against the film are going to look foolish for shutting it out of their predictions.

Edited by pieman
  • Like 2

On an unrelated note, I have no idea what qualifies American Hustle as a Comedy while Mr. Banks was under Drama. American Hustle wasn't funny at all, and even though Banks was very heartwrenching at points, it also gave quite a few laughs. It's much more a dramedy than Hustle was

• Like 1

Okay-what movie is ILD?Edit: Nevermind, it's the Coen brothers film, when he said it misses out I thought he meant a film that missed out recently and I was trying to think of one.

Edited by Impact

You know-this will be the first time since we have had 10 noms where no pre October release gets a BP nom unless if something magically sneaks in. (well 10 noms in modern times of course as I'm not counting the old days :P)

I think the internet film snobs are way overestimating Inside Llewyn Davis and Her. I think only one of them can get into Best Picture and it will probably be Her because it's had a much better precursor run. It's like when people were still predicting The Master and Moonrise Kingdom to get nominated despite little precursor support.

I also think that Dallas Buyers Club, despite doing well with the guilds, could get ignored in Best Picture (it seems to me like the type of film that would have a hard time generating that many number 1 votes). This would leave space for the more conventional but Academy friendly films like Philomena and Saving Mr Banks to get in. Which I think is what will happen.

Edited by pieman
  • Like 2

I like to think of Harvey potentially not getting a nod this year as karma for butchering Snowpiercer's U.S. release by cutting out a lot.

And not even giving it a 2013 release or any confirmed release dates at all for that matter.