Blankments

Blanked Out Reviews, Y6 (Top 25 Is Up!)

It will be nominated for Best Animated Feature. I thought my own animated film was good enough to win now (I'm always cocky about my cartoons :P ) but now, I'm rooting for To the Moon. I still need to read Spaghetti's animated movie though, that should be great as well.

Andrew, this might be a little random, but I'm reading Society right now, and I'm wondering... what style of music is this? Is it pop, Broadway/Disney, even rap? I feel like I need to know the style of music before even reading it. :P

Andrew, this might be a little random, but I'm reading Society right now, and I'm wondering... what style of music is this? Is it pop, Broadway/Disney, even rap? I feel like I need to know the style of music before even reading it. :P

Not my place to answer, but when I read it I automatically assumed it was Pop since it's a movie that reflects the Society of today, and these are the most popular genres...

I'll go on the post and but the genre by the songs. They all are different. But definitely NO rap or country lol

I couldn't imagine it to be Rap either... Every time I think about the possibility of it being Rap, I imagine it being something like this...

Posted Image

I assumed a mix of Pop and Broadway-style ballads.

I can't seem to explain the songs genre cuz it is just musical music. They are pop and Broadway-style. Think of musicals like Hairspray. The more dreamy or sad songs are like Les Miserables. 

Edited by Andrew the Alien
  • Like 1

Society:

The first major original live-action musical of CAYOM has arrived. This is another one where I love the cast before even watching the movie, but let's see if the story makes up for it. I'm a sucker for musicals, so I expected to like this movie. However, Society has two sides to it, one of which I hate, on of which I love. I hate the cliche stereotypes of cruel people in high school. I'm in high school, and I'm definitely not popular, but I've never been bullied or tortured like anyone in this movie. If this movie is trying to sell itself as a serious take on how society today works, it fails at this. However, I don't think it's meant to be a serious take. The musical aspect makes this be a lot more fun than it has the right to be, and often makes the movie a lot more enjoyable than one would expect. It allows some inspired lunacy: a song sung by nurses in an abortion clinic is a comedic highlight. The drama is well-written too, and everyone will tear up some point in the last half hour. The songs are so fun, and I honestly hope Number 2 Productions partners with a theater on Broadway for an stage adaptation of this.

Zac Efron gives a revolutionary performance, one that he fully deserves a Best Actor nom for. Lawrence is great as always, and I had never seen Haynes in a film before, but he was a revelation. I wasn't a huge fan of Banks. She can sing, but her acting leaves a lot to be desired. Besides her not being sound in acting, the rest of the cast is fantastic, and is currently my favorite for Best Ensemble. Songwise, the highlights were the aforementioned "Whore" and "Time for Change," which very similar (in a good way) to "One Day More." My only true issue with the story was that the ending was much too similar to the end of "Les Miserables," but that isn't a major issue. Even though there are some flaws, Society perfectly balances comedy, drama, and music to make it one of the best films of the year, and one of the best film musicals of all time.

9.5/10

• Like 2

I'm in high school, and I'm definitely not popular, but I've never been bullied or tortured like anyone in this movie.

Let me guess, you're from the US. I have to disagree totally with you that point. I'm not popular either and I've never been bullied or tortured like that either, but I know people who have, and I can say it's very accurate to some situations around the world. It may take place in the US, but it can be inspired from things that happened around the world... Yeah, I've seen teen pregnancy and I've seen major bullying, and I say that this movie is pretty much accurate.

But yeah, everyone with what they've seen, right ^^? Just wanted to let you know that it's not that inaccurate.

Fair enough, I'm ignorant of how life works in countries outside the U.S. I've seen teen pregnancy as well; the main thing that stuck out to me was Jiyad being made fun of for being a Muslim. That type of stuff seems very overexaggerated by the media, IMO, simply because at my school, some of the most popular kids are Muslim. In my personal experience, it's slightly inaccurate, but overall in the world, it might as well be accurate. I loved the film overall though, and I have no doubt it'll be on my ballot for BP.

Fair enough, I'm ignorant of how life works in countries outside the U.S. I've seen teen pregnancy as well; the main thing that stuck out to me was Jiyad being made fun of for being a Muslim. That type of stuff seems very overexaggerated by the media, IMO, simply because at my school, some of the most popular kids are Muslim. In my personal experience, it's slightly inaccurate, but overall in the world, it might as well be accurate. I loved the film overall though, and I have no doubt it'll be on my ballot for BP.

It was between a gay kid and a Muslim kid..I went with Muslim because it is prevalent but often hidden. I always hear Muslim jokes and kids at my school tend to silently discriminate against them.  Gay kid being bullied seem generic too. 

Wonder Woman:

Yeah, I'm really biased for this. I'm the head person in charge of the DCU, so of course, I'm going to say it was a great summer blockbuster not to be missed. However, I'm going to try to be unbiased. Wonder Woman is the rare summer blockbuster with a lead female role, as evident by the title. Nichols embodies the famous superhero perfectly, and it is a fitting big screen debut for her. Liam Neeson shines as the villain of the piece, and the rest of the ensemble is good too.

The plot is serviceable, although the climax does draw parallels to The Last Six's siege on Washington. Action's nice, effects are decent, and overall, it's a fun time. It won't be showing up on my top 25, but Wonder Woman proves to be a fun afternoon at the theater, which builds up appropriate anticipation for next summer's Justice League.

7.5/10

• Like 1

Avarice:

Why am I reviewing this ginormous film over High Life or 451, both Creator's films that interest me quite a bit more? Well, alas for my interests, this was the only one of Creator's films mentioned in this thread, so I must continue with the review. :P Avarice is a definite improvement on Nirvana, which I thought was a fine special effects extravaganza, but fell flat for me otherwise. It is still an special effects extravaganza; indeed, the effects are some of the best of all time, and the action's great too. However, the script is extremely exciting, although the short runtime does cause it to seem rushed at points.

Spieberg once again brings his A-game to the table, and a BD nomination may be in the cards this year. Crowe once again excells in the role of his lifetime, Lucas, although most of the other performances are forgettable. I still wish John Williams as doing the score though, as Zimmer still doesn't fit the film. Nevertheless, Avarice is the summer blockbuster of the year, thanks to a nice script and an overall epic tone. I can't wait for Obliteration.

8.5/10