baumer

Alice in Wonderland 2010

24 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I don't get all the hatred this movie receives.I admit it wasn't one of the greatest, but certainly not one of the worst ones either.HBC gives a great performance (as usual) and visuals were good too.I think it was quite entertaining, yet forgettable, since I can't think of any significant positives (except HBC) to prove its superiority.Neither like it, nor hate it.C 

Despite being a member here I consider myself maybe closer to GA than Netizen when it comes to the cinema. I watch about 5 films a year (hoping to increase that this year though) and I dont research much about film before I see them. If a trailer is good or Actor X is in it I'll try to see it. 

Hence I saw this film for 2 reasons, my friend wanted to see it and this was still when the Burton/Depp combo was something to cheer about not groan about. It was also the first film I saw in 3D.

And it was horrible. The visual irritated me, the acting was misguided at best and worst of all was the story. Burton essentially seemed to decide that despite the fact that he was making Alice in Wonderland, fuck Alice this film is all about my mates Johnny and Helena.  

Nothing felt right, we were being forced to try and care about characters who are meant to be nothing more than eccentric sideshows and ignore the actual heroine of the story. IT was a disaster on every level as far as I was concerned and along with Charlie and the Chocolate factory has led me to impose a boycott on watching any Burton or Depp film until I see enough audience evidence that they have got over this stupid little phase of theirs. (This is also why I think Lone Ranger will flop big time as I do not think I am alone in this anymore.)

Seriously at this point, it feels like if Burton decided to make Goldilocks and the 3 bears it would become the eccentric tale of Daddy Bear (Depp) and Mummy Bear's (Carter) quest to discover who has been eating their porridge.

It maybe be not as great as the animated 1951 version....but i still really liked it very much.

Gorgeous visuals. The acting from Mia Wasikowska & Johnny Depp are pretty good.

And pretty much one of Tim Burton's films on a large scale.

A-

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Alice in Wonderland has a delightfully quirky opening by Tim Burton, and a somewhat pleasant ending. Unfortunately, the middle of the film is ninety minutes of pure boredom, featuring Burton's worst excesses of production design and extremely generic storytelling. Wasikowska tries her best to hold the movie together, but whenever everyone around her is obnoxiously hamming it up, there's nothing she can really do. It also features some of the worst visual effects I've seen in the modern era, looking annoyingly fake while trying for a "dark whimsy" style that is just incredibly safe. The only thing worthwhile in these moments is Elfman's score, which is always lovely to listen to. The film though is not a good blockbuster and not a good film. Alice in Wonderland features the worst of Burton with absolutely nothing of wonder in Wonderland, featuring only moments of joy in the whimsical reality of Alice herself. D-

That Futterwacken dance though is so bizarre and out of place that it works as a big middle finger to the audience in a weirdly hilarious way, so props to Tim Burton there.