Impact

Animated Feature-2013

Monsters U being a franchise movie will work against it, IMO. Pixar may have won with Brave, but I think that was because the movie was the most "serious" out of all the nominees. If Frozen gets Tangled/WIR reviews, I'm pretty confident it'll win.

Edited by tribefan695

No, I'm pretty sure Shrek's win was surprising at the time as well. Granted, I was only 8, but I remember my parents being really surprised that MI lost.

Nope-it was nominated for the Globes, for anyone tracking the Oscars then can tell you it was Shrek's to lose.

I guess you're right, since I just realized it was nominated for screenplay.

Yeah it was-the only big surprise really out of the major ones was supporting actor.

This year is looking very weak. I really liked Monsters University but it just isn't good enough to win the Oscar; it's too light and kiddy. However, it is a surefire nominee. As of now, I think it's between MU and Frozen.

• Like 1

Shrek was such a lock. It was a bigger cultural phenomenon than Monsters was and was even being considered as a Best Picture nominee. It would have definitely been in with 10.

+1, Shrek was just everywhere.

Shrek was such a lock. It was a bigger cultural phenomenon than Monsters was and was even being considered as a Best Picture nominee. It would have definitely been in with 10.

Yet Monsters Inc ended up standing the test of time while Shrek only went down after the 2nd one - but BP? Well that would have been cool lol

I loved MI but Shrek deserved that Oscar, too bad the last 2 installments were not as good as the first two.

And another open competition again this year, pretty exciting! A foreign title could sneak in if there's someone that will push it hard or overflowing critical reviews.

MU is a lock nominee, I read reviews praising the lighting and other technical aspects so this will definitely be supported by the technical group. And while not as critically acclaimed as other Pixar films the reception is still good.

I think The Croods deserves a nomination too. Maybe DM2 will sneak in as well since the box office is too huge to ignore and it got  a decent reception.

I agree if Frozen will have similar reception and box office to Tangled and WIR it could be the frontrunner

This year is looking very weak. I really liked Monsters University but it just isn't good enough to win the Oscar; it's too light and kiddy. However, it is a surefire nominee. As of now, I think it's between MU and Frozen.

It's better than Brave and that won an Oscar.
  • Like 2