Plain Old Tele

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

Poorly developed, underutilized characters (including the single worst utilization of an new character ever in Angel, whether you are familiar with him or not), nonsensical character decisions, poor dialogue, terrible practical effects, atrocious pacing, too many characters in general, underdeveloped plot threads (Rogue/Iceman), and much more.

* out of *****

Not nearly as bad as I expected. Keep in mind my expectations were low and I was not hyped after X2 thinking X3 would be better.

The idea and general plot is the right way to take the story but Ratner's is the main problem here, he looks like he is trying to replicate Singer's style, look wise he is close. Story though he has a difficult time balancing all the plot points. All in all though the world and stakes created still make this movie fun.

B-

I used to love this X-Men, but past few months I noticed some major flaws that I ignored when I was younger. Some scenes like, Xavier death and Alcatraz battle, are still amazing, the score is epic and memorable, acting is superb and visuals are much better than X2, but I missed some caracther develpment from the fist two Xs, the special effects were bad for 210m flick (I heard that Brett Ratner had only 10 months to make this :o ). Still better than the meh X1 and the pile of shit aka X-Men Origins

FC A- 9.0/10X2 B+ 8.5/10X3 B 7.5/10X1 C+ 6.0/10WO D 2.5/10

Edited by Goffe

The killing off of several main characters was kind of bold in retrospect compared to many other super hero blockbusters, it's just unfortunate that it all feels so dramatically....dull. The death of Cyclops meant nothing and Xavier's death barely registers. Wolverine is a chump in the movie, and for as fast as this movie is moving, it's only an hour and 45 minutes long, not nearly enough time to let all the major events breathe. That said, it's not absolutely terrible. It's just really mediocre. Definitely a lot of wasted characters and some of the controversial decisions made with the film did not sit well with me (wasting Mystique especially).

I will give it two bonus points for Porcupine guy though. That guy was hilarious.

• Like 3

The killing off of several main characters was kind of bold in retrospect compared to many other super hero blockbusters, it's just unfortunate that it all feels so dramatically....dull. The death of Cyclops meant nothing and Xavier's death barely registers. Wolverine is a chump in the movie, and for as fast as this movie is moving, it's only an hour and 45 minutes long, not nearly enough time to let all the major events breathe. That said, it's not absolutely terrible. It's just really mediocre. Definitely a lot of wasted characters and some of the controversial decisions made with the film did not sit well with me (wasting Mystique especially).

I will give it two bonus points for Porcupine guy though. That guy was hilarious.

In a nutshell.

It's one thing to kill off established characters, but you have to have good buildup and proper reactions by the rest of the cast to make it work, otherwise, they may as well be one of the hundreds of extra's in a Roland Emmerich film.

• Like 2

I haven't seen Spiderman 3, is this considered worse or better than that by most?

If you liked the first two SM and if you're not a whiny fanboy, you will enjoy SM3.

X3 have more flaws but it's more entertaining, plus it's 35 minutes shorter.

Edited by Goffe