Plain Old Tele

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

Loved the dynamic between Bones, Kirk, & Spock in this one. I thought overall it was very well paced. Loved the opening credits in this film. Love the full circle family theme too. I also really really like going deep into outer space and exploring where no man has gone before. I like the idea of finding god, the music was great, we get a battle, a space fight, Klingons. The camera movement is easily better then the previous two films. Shatner does some cooler longer takes than Nimoy does in Spock. Keep in mind they screwed Shatner his budget. They cut his 3rd act and he never really got to film what he wanted and he kinda made it up as they went. I also thought the editing was a better. But then again I look very much into directing. Im not as big on story and shit as I am on, ok here is your script, now go direct bring something to it. I like seeing creative decisions being made even if they are misguided. 

Again if you watch all these in a row I can't see how this one stands out as a disaster.Also I love that we learn about Bones backstory and I like the idea that Kirk can't die when his friends are around (he dies alone, like he said he would in the beginning of generations). 

B

Edited by Jay Hollywood

Mess (but it's not that bad). Cut the 25 minutes forest sequence in the beginning and make Klingons a little less silly, and you would have a halfway decent and somewhat refreshing film.

Voyage Home 75/100

Motion Picture 70/100

Wrath of Khan 55/100

Search for Spock 50/100

Final Frontier 45/100

Edited by Goffe

No Trek film is really bad. A lot like Bond, but this is almost all the bad elements combined.  I still love "Why does God need a Star ship?" line. The overall plot is actually the most interesting of the series, it's just handled poorly. It is unfortunately the worst of the series. They tried to do what Voyage Home did with the humor and it really doesn't work in an actual Trek mission type of film.

C-