Plain Old Tele

Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

On of the weakest big-screen-expeditions of the Enterprise. While the film has its charms - primarily the setting where an ethical question is exemplified by a lab-like social situation which reminded me very much of an episode in TOS - there is a list of weaknesses, chief among them: It's boring.

• Like 1

It's true that I spent most of it hating on Picard and his fragile arguments, but the overall atmosphere in addition to the joyful Riker and Trei interactions made it much easier to sit through than FC and Generations, even though most of the third act was a snooze fest.

But there were a few things hinted somewhere in the middle of it that peaked my interest immensely, and I thought they would expand on that later in the film, which ended never happening. I would have loved to see a movie where the Federation is weak, collapsing on itself and being challenged by every major power or a thought-provoking film about the blood feud between Son'a and Ba'ku. It is really an unfortunate that these two stories never gained much traction.

Voyage Home 75/100

Motion Picture 70/100 

Undiscovered Country 70/100 

Insurrection 55/100

Wrath of Khan 55/100

Search for Spock 50/100

Final Frontier 45/100

First Contact 40/100

Generations 35/100

3 positives I'll give this one:

The really creepy way they kill the admiral (Perhaps the most unsettling thing in the entire series)

LaForge is the only one that really has any kind of character arc with by gaining his eyesight back (A few nice moments like that throughout)

Picard got a little busy which was nice.

It's a very simple movie when you have to follow a crossover/passing of the torch film, and a series greatest villain and whole world is at stake to we're going to secretly move this population to a duplicate one.  Also the theme of mortality and time was done much better when you have Kirk, Malcolm McDowell, and Whoopi talking about it vs. Admiral "Who are you" and the Raisin head species we never heard of.

Really the big action scene comes down to these:

Data, Worf, and Picard singing opera in space

They try to stop people from being beamed

Picard vs. Raisin fist fight.

I think there was a brief Ship battle with Riker

Top 3 worst for sure, but I'll at least give some merit, cause after all, I always liked the series, and this maybe not be a nail biter episode.  I'd still tune in for it.