A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

36 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's the new "two Thumbs Up" but with hundreds of critics instead of two great (Siskel & Ebert) critics.

and boy, has the quality of criticism ever dropped since then.

I wonder how long it will take of an RT mass of 'critics' trashing films that don't supply their precise world view for the public to throw the whole system out.

Me, I'm there.

@trifle, no offense, but even though you said you weren't a defensive JLaw stan a few days ago, almost everything you've been posting since this in this thread has been pretty defensive.

Besides, if you have to go the extra mile to convince yourself that the critics have got it in for this movie, that means you're aware it's probably not all that great.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Well, Fandango owns RT and Universal/Comcast and WB own Fandango.  So at least two major studios would have to take it up with themselves. 

Bottom line Fandango and RT are both consumer oriented sites - they exist to serve the potential viewer/buyer, not that studio or filmmaker.  WB and Universal could try and undermine that to serve the studio but then they'd lose their purpose and eventually their consumer base who'd move elsewhere.

Yeah it's like that stupid theory that Rotten Tomatoes is trying to sabotage Warner Bros.' DCEU movies and promote Marvel.  And petitions were started over it.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/02/suicide-squad-reviews-rotten-tomatoes-petition

Just now, filmlover said:

@trifle, no offense, but even though you said you weren't a defensive JLaw stan a few days ago, almost everything you've been posting since this in this thread has been pretty defensive.

Besides, if you have to go the extra mile to convince yourself that the critics have got it in for this movie, that means you're aware it's probably not all that great.

Reality check:

I couldn't care less if you think I'm a 'defensive stan'. Name calling doesn't become you.

This isn't the first movie this year where I have seen a core of 'RT Critics' tear something apart way beyond what could rationally have been explained. It is merely the culmination of experiences, with the movie I personally happen to have been most anticipating for this entire year solidifying my opinion.

Love it, hate it, see it don't.

Whatever.

My comment is that my experience likely is not unique, as movie viewer after movie viewer sees the same vitriol against movies they, one after another, think are great movies.  I haven't seen this one yet, but the vitriol is unmistakable, and I have seen this play out before.  RT's rating only has power so long as the GA thinks it is objective.  I postulate that this feeding frenzy of the B list critics will undermine GA belief in the objectivity of the RT score.

Disagree or call names, as you prefer.

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

Reality check:

I couldn't care less if you think I'm a 'defensive stan'. Name calling doesn't become you.

This isn't the first movie this year where I have seen a core of 'RT Critics' tear something apart way beyond what could rationally have been explained. It is merely the culmination of experiences, with the movie I personally happen to have been most anticipating for this entire year solidifying my opinion.

Love it, hate it, see it don't.

Whatever.

My comment is that my experience likely is not unique, as movie viewer after movie viewer sees the same vitriol against movies they, one after another, think are great movies.  I haven't seen this one yet, but the vitriol is unmistakable, and I have seen this play out before.  RT's rating only has power so long as the GA thinks it is objective.  I postulate that this feeding frenzy of the B list critics will undermine GA belief in the objectivity of the RT score.

Disagree or call names, as you prefer.

lol where in my post did I call you a name? "Almost everything you've been posting since this in this thread has been pretty defensive" is name-calling?

You need to develop some thicker skin. There's a reality check for ya.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol where in my post did I call you a name? "Almost everything you've been posting since this in this thread has been pretty defensive" is name-calling?

You need to develop some thicker skin. There's a reality check for ya.

"defensive stan" is a name and if you don't think "Almost everything you've been posting since this in this thread has been pretty defensive" is an insult, we don't have sufficient basis to move forward with further discussion.

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

"defensive stan" is a name and if you don't think "Almost everything you've been posting since this in this thread has been pretty defensive" is an insult, we don't have sufficient basis to move forward with further discussion.

Because I'm so tired of JLaw stans trying to make it seem like the media is out to get poor little JLaw. In fact, it feels like the only people who have "turned against" her are doing so for the same exact reason they adored her in 2012/2013. And that is the most downright pathetic reason to suddenly despise a celebrity anyway so those people should be paid no mind.

And really, if your feelings are hurt by "defensive stan" then none of us can really help you. Come back when you've matured a bit. Bye.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Because I'm so tired of JLaw stans trying to make it seem like the media is out to get poor little JLaw. In fact, it feels like the only people who have "turned against" her are doing so for the same exact reason they adored her in 2012/2013. And that is the most downright pathetic reason to suddenly despise a celebrity anyway so those people should be paid no mind.

And really, if your feelings are hurt by "defensive stan" then none of us can really help you. Come back when you've matured a bit. Bye.

I have called you no insults. Reflect on that.

Bye/

Just now, trifle said:

I have called you no insults. Reflect on that.

Bye/

I'm not the one obsessing over Passengers and trying to make it seem like there's a conspiracy out there to take the movie down.

And I'm someone who is still gonna see the movie and hope to enjoy it despite the poor reviews (then again, anything looks good after suffering through Collateral Beauty), even though one of the main plot points sounds like a groan-inducing trope that needs to be retired forever.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

I don't think there is a conspiracy.  I don't think anyone is targeting Lawrence over her gender pay views.  If anything, I would assume most critics would support those views she's spoken about.

According to some corners, that is considered a conspiracy towards trying to take us away from the good ole days. Curse women for actually speaking up! :P

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

According to some corners, that is considered a conspiracy towards trying to take us away from the good ole days. Curse women for actually speaking up! :P

To be more specific, when I mean anyone, I mean critics who gave the movie a bad review on Rotten Tomatoes.  I don't think she's being specifically targeted by critics for speaking up.  There might be people in the current showbiz machine who are ticked off about it and don't agree with it though.  But more or less higher-ups in the industry.  I think it's more of a long-stemming systemic problem of the industry because it's still a largely male dominated industry.

I don't think there is anything wrong with shedding light on the problems and discussing them.

Edited by UTJeff

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

you have spoken about 'conspiracy', but as far as I am aware no one has complained of such a thing.  There is a term in logic called 'straw man'.

Edited by trifle

1 minute ago, trifle said:

the only person I have read on these forums suggesting such a conspiracy is you.

It's a joke, silly. Or is it? Since it's no secret there are a lot of people (aka insecure white dudes) that are threatened by women and believe they're being oppressed (aka they're afraid of karma).