A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

13 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

You mean the way he wakes her up in the script?

Either they changed it or they're treating it as a spoiler. I honestly wish I didn't already know even that much.

I do find it interesting that it was basically part of the most general plot descriptions early on and now its nowhere to be found.

Of COURSE this happens while I am in airports having the travel day from hell!  On the other hand, this is just what I need to counter the gruesome day I've had.

7 hours ago, Durden said:

Passengers: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt are out of this world in exclusive first photos

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/12/passengers-chris-pratt-jennifer-lawrence-photos

Thank you!!

7 hours ago, babz06 said:

It certainly seems like it's still coming out this December. Maybe the trailer is coming with Mag 7. That would be that latest they could release it and still be ok as far as marketing. Then you could play the trailer in front of all the adult oriented films in the fall which is likely the core audience for this anyways. 

6 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Mag 7 feels really late. It's exactly 3 months before release. I mean I guess they could just blitz the hell out of the trailers and then make up for it by doing an extensive promo tour with Chris and Jennifer, hoping they can charm their way into enough media attention... but it feels like a risky move to delay it that long.

This is an original movie, it's not a franchise, it's not a known commodity. I just hope they don't miss out by making a great movie that no one sees due to poor marketing.

I agree that would be late, but I know there have been on set interviews and stuff that were embargoed at the time until they ramp up publicity, so they may have a considerable amount ready to go.  I get the feeling this is the start of it, and that they might have been waiting until the doldrums of summer movies where Passengers will be big news, and not be competing with the opening day of a big movie or the drop of another big trailer *cough* Rogue One *cough*.  I hope they ramp up soon, though.

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Did they change the core concept of the script?

They definitely made some changes, from looking at the casting calls for scenes not in the script and at the cast list on imdb which is much longer than you would expect from the script.  I suspect they haven't changed the core concept, but it would be a spoiler at this point if they haven't.  It had some humor in it, in the day to day stuff, and I look forward to seeing them pull that off.

6 hours ago, Goffe said:

Headhunters is pretty good and Imitation Game is a masterpiece, so I have a lot faith in Tyldum.

Please don't be a stinker. I'm getting burned way too much this year.

Everything I've heard and read says this is wonderful, but if it is somehow all wrong and it sucks, I will be devastated.

5 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I just hope their combined star wattage and combined charisma doesn't somehow negate the on-screen chemistry that could exist between them. It's happened before with other superstar pairings that on paper looked like a sure thing.

There is NO risk of that from the CinemaCon reactions and the write ups following CinemaCon:

Kevin Polowy ‏@djkevlar 1h1 hour ago
Sony shows deep look @ Chris Pratt-Jennifer Lawrence's sci-fi thriller Passengers. Looks technically amazing & also suuuper sexy. #CinemaCon

Germain Lussier
‏@GermainLussier
So the space mystery romance Passengers, with Chris Pratt & Jennifer Lawrence, looks amazing. Just saw a nice 3-4 minute trailer. More soon

Steven Weintraub ‏@colliderfrosty 1h1 hour ago
Great thing about PASSENGERS is Pratt and Lawrence have real chemistry onscreen. That's a huge part of selling a film.

JoBlo.com ‏@joblocom 1h1 hour ago
Anyway, looks like THE date movie of the year, appealing completely to both male/female demographics. #CinemaCon #Passengers

#Passengers looks great. It's like a mash-up romantic version of Prometheus/Gravity that capitalizes on the main stars' hotness shamelessly

There's a cool scene where

Spoiler

gravity goes out on the ship while JLaw is swimming and she's trapped in the now floating bubbles of the pool.

Rebecca Ford ‏@Beccamford 1h1 hour ago
Wow #Passengers looks big and bold. And will likely increase my crushes on both #Jlaw and Chris Pratt.#CinemaCon

devin faraci ‏@devincf 2h2 hours ago
PASSENGERS: very good footage. Too much to talk about in a tweet. Write up coming.

Kristopher Tapley
‏@kristapley
Also JLaw sweeps trays of food across the table, climbs over to Pratt and sucks face. HOT FIRE. TICKETS SOLD.

Kristopher Tapley ‏@kristapley 2h2 hours ago
"Passengers" trailer definitely got an "OH SHIT" out of me when the artificial gravity gave out. Looks pretty fantastic. #CinemaCon

Amy Kaufman ‏@AmyKinLA 2h2 hours ago
@AmyKinLA Their chemistry is incredible. At one point she crawls over a cafeteria table and just starts attacking his mouth (in a hot way)

Amy Kaufman
‏@AmyKinLA
PASSENGERS
LOOKS
AMAZING
You are about to ship JLaw and Pratt sooooo hard

Josh Horowitz ‏@joshuahorowitz 2h2 hours ago
PASSENGERS looks great too. Sony killing it so far with their presentation. #CinemaCon

Steven Weintraub ‏@colliderfrosty 2h2 hours ago
Sony just world premiered the first PASSENGERS footage starring Chris Pratt & Jennifer Lawrence. I'm sold. Looks like a great film.

Gregory Ellwood ‏@TheGregoryE 2h2 hours ago
Very long Passengers preview. Not a prestige flick. Big consumer tent pole thriller. Looks intriguing. #CinemaCon

Bryan Bishop ‏@bcbishop 2h2 hours ago
Passengers footage is promising. They’re on a 120-year space journey and wake up early. They’re both basically playing themselves.

ErikDavis ‏@ErikDavis 11m11 minutes ago
Favorite Sony footage... PASSENGERS. Because if any duo can carry an entire movie on their shoulders, it's Chris Pratt & Jennifer Lawrence

(It was also written up as one of the main highlights of CinemaCon by numerous sources including Variety, the LA Times, Forbes and the above tweeting Gregory Ellwood who just called it 'intriguing' in his tweet. ("CinemaCon Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt's Chemistry in Passengers is Out Out Of This World" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/04/14/cinemacon-jennifer-lawrence-and-chris-pratts-chemistry-in-passen/  etc.)

3 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Either they changed it or they're treating it as a spoiler. I honestly wish I didn't already know even that much.

I do find it interesting that it was basically part of the most general plot descriptions early on and now its nowhere to be found.

I think anything not in the current generation description of the movie should be treated as spoilers and tagged as such, for the benefit of those who don't know and don't want to know.

I'm psyched!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kowhite said:

I won't say what that spoiler is, but...I mean, hopefully it's retained cause it's kind of the central conceit of the whole script, isn't it?  It's why I found the concept so intriguing.

Yeah, and that is why I think it will be, but they aren't using it in their marketing.  It adds depth to the movie, to be sure.

Spoiler

Also, Jen's mother in a radio interview mentioned that Jen was filming and was supposed to be striking Pratt and furious, and that he was wearing padding, but she was afraid it wasn't enough, so she stopped mid way to ask if he was alright.  I kinda don't see why that scene would exist if they hadn't retained that plot point, but what do I know?

Edited by trifle

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

Yeah, and that is why I think it will be, but they aren't using it in their marketing.  It adds depth to the movie, to be sure.

Hide contents

Also, Jen's mother in a radio interview mentioned that Jen was filming and was supposed to be striking Pratt and furious, and that he was wearing padding, but she was afraid it wasn't enough, so she stopped mid way to ask if he was alright.  I kinda don't see why that scene would exist if they hadn't retained that plot point, but what do I know?

I saw the pictures first on dark horizons and they explained the plot with that as being in...so...well, hopefully.  It's what makes it really intriguing!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kowhite said:

I won't say what that spoiler is, but...I mean, hopefully it's retained cause it's kind of the central conceit of the whole script, isn't it?  It's why I found the concept so intriguing.

I haven't read the script and I'm trying to steer clear of spoilers, but if it was the central conceit, I doubt it would be removed.

In any case, I'd personally rather just go watch the movie and judge it for what it is, rather than build up a set of expectations.

I get that the script has been circulating for years but one major upside to an original film is not having to constantly compare and contrast with some previous version.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Is the mega-spoiler

Hide contents

is the fact that he's stalking her (or worse) while she's asleep in cryo then kill everyone else, then wakes her up so he can pork her like Blue Lagoon in space

Close.  I get the feeling since this is being hyped up like a twist people are going to be disapointed when they learn it.  Plus it's like, going to be the beginning of the movie.

Its just a cool dramatic angle to a story like this.  He doesn't see dead people or something.  It just sets up some really potentially engaging story possibilities.  Of course the question then becomes can a big budget film deliver on what that story angle provides.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kowhite said:

Close.  I get the feeling since this is being hyped up like a twist people are going to be disapointed when they learn it.  Plus it's like, going to be the beginning of the movie.

Its just a cool dramatic angle to a story like this.  He doesn't see dead people or something.

That sounds like a perfect date movie for Xmas time!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

That sounds like a perfect date movie for Xmas time!

When JLaw crawls across a table and sucks face with Pratt...

Couples everywhere will immediately start having sex in the theater.  So, yes, this will be huge.  And messy.  Fortunately theaters have gravity.  Otherwise shit, I'm watching this at home.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 3