Fantasia (1940)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Very ambitious project, even if the artistic value is questionable in some instances. After Snow White, Disney thought he could pull of anything, but Fantasia, Pinocchio and Bambi nearly destroyed the studio - especially for Fantasia and Bambi, they threw everything at it they had, and money was of no concern.

My favorite animation movie of all time, and in my top 10 ever. Probably it is not technically the best and many modern movies are already better than this, but the magic that surrounds this movie has not been unmatched. WALL-E is the only one that can reach its level, but this was first. For me, an absolute masterpiece. A++

i thought of praising disney for experimenting, even if it were mostly uninspired. but then this fucking ugly ass white dude appears and starts talking to me. what? THIS IS A NEW CINEMATIC ENTERTAINMENT, he exclaims. there are three types of music: one that tells a definite story, another that doesn't but still produces images, and the last which is music for its own sake. ABSOLUTE MUSIC. toccata and fugue is an example of this last one. look at the title. it doesn't mean anything! so abstract!

anyway, someone like norman mclaren makes way better musical interpretation, and this one was released in the same decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8uktqgKgw0