The Lobster (2016)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A fascinating future is showcased in The Lobster. A land full of baleful polymorphs and necessary couples. Yorgos Lanthimos' world of the City and the Hotel is endlessly intriguing and ridiculously creative. The humor embedded within this world is provocative and amusing in a very dry manner. Sadly though, the film is hopelessly in love with its world, rather than the characters, and Colin Farrell's David, our gateway to the world, is rather bland. He is completely passive, serving more as a tour guide than a character, until the final third of the movie, when he finally gets some light agency. Likewise, the other characters, although amusing, exist solely as plot devices or representatives of the wacky world. Yet, the world is so enthralling and imaginative that marking these as major slights seems unfair to the overall experience. The Lobster is an amusing world wrapped up in an okay film, but yet, this is one world definitely worth exploring for a bit. B

Quite compelling at first due to a terrific sense of humor and fascinating world, but I grew more and more apathetic as it went along, lack of interest climaxing with the many times I pushed the fast-forward button towards the end. 60/100

Please add to the archives. 

Overall an interesting concept about relationship and how society basically forces people to in relationship. How people might just fake being happy just to be in a relationship.  Good acting and a nice score to wit it. But I kinda wanted him to turn into a lobster at the end.  3.5/5

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

Glad I was not the only one that had issues as the film progressed. Colin Farrel's character was bland as hell and the movie suffered as a result not even Rachel W. could bring it up in warmth. Cold, bland and lost in it's own (interesting) conceit the film just seems to spin wheels. One of the worst films I saw from 2016 to date.

Grade C

• Like 1