A Most Violent Year (2014)

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Sort of the Anti-Godfather, this film manages to be a thoroughly engaging portrait of a businessman trying to maintain his integrity in a very dangerous situation despite its slow pace and complex narrative. Chandor nails the look and feel of the period he's depicting, filming everything in washed out sepia tones and filming among rundown buildings and junkyards. Isaac gives a great performance as the lead, though I found Chastain rather annoying as his bitchy wife, and the way the film resolves the subplot with the Hispanic driver with a gun feels forced and tacked on. My only two complains.

A-

Isaac is great and the 2nd half is worthy of the top 10 of the year but this is fucking tedious before it gets going and before it does, you feel like you've already watched a full movie. This could have been 1h 40m long and it would have been great.

7/10

A Most Violent Year is a magnetic and moody and atmospheric 2 hours movie that flies by. Hail Chandor and his impeccable craft. Dude is on his way to become one of my favorites.  95/100

Edited by Goffe