baumer

Monday #s IM3 11.26

TDK was so worthy of BP the Academy had to change their BP rules for the first time in decades because they knew they screwed up so bad. Pfft, The Reader.  Puh-lease. :rolleyes:

Not sure if you remember the outrage over this when we were at Mojo.  I  was literally angry over that.  It kept me awake at night.

• Like 3

TDK is an absolute masterpiece, and along with the Empire Strikes Back, The Two Towers, Spider-Man 2, and a few others, is the reason I'm always the most excited about the middle film in a trilogy. Sometimes not having to have a true beginning or ending is a wonderful thing. 

• Like 2

Not sure if you remember the outrage over this when we were at Mojo.  I  was literally angry over that.  It kept me awake at night.

I completely understand why something like TA wouldn't be nominated because it is just perfect summer popcorn fun. Not BP material. But TDK? It still makes zero sense to this day. It has everything a BP contender needs.

• Like 6

I completely understand why something like TA wouldn't be nominated because it is just perfect summer popcorn fun. Not BP material. But TDK? It still makes zero sense to this day. It has everything a BP contender needs.

Except the third act is a mess. They got it right.

• Like 2

I have to admit, perhaps part of my love for the film is knowing absoultey nothing about the source material before watching it.  When I watched it for the first time, I had never seen a film anything like it.  The music, the theme, the asshole superheroes and Rorschack.....once I heard the line in the prison about not being locked up in here with them, they are in here with him...I knew I was witnessing brilliance.

I didn't know the source material beforehand. I saw the movie and thought it was problematic but had some interesting stuff mixed in there. So I picked up the graphic novel... and started realizing that almost every angle, even every edit, at some points, was directly taken -- exactly -- from the book. Snyder was doing his best to literally film every page (while occasionally making some changes, like the end). Yet, in his efforts to put every page on screen, he completely ignored the core theme of the book, which was the anti-heroizing of superheroes, the removal of our collective worship of these larger-than-life people. Some whiff of that gets across in the movie, but Snyder conveniently removes the little rough edges that would make each person more problematic. For example, Rorschach in the movie is basically just this hardcore bad-ass... but in the novel Moore shows that these very traits, pushed to extremes, also lead to xenophobia and racism (Rorschach subscribes to and reads neo-Nazi propaganda newsletters). The whole story is an examination of how profoundly fucked up these people are -- and how they've fucked up our world as well. Yet the movie tosses away most of that for a more conventional superhero story.

A more faithful WATCHMEN wouldn't have made nearly the money, but it also could've been a more profound, thoughtful, and thought-provoking film.

• Like 3

The VFX guys sure spent a lot of R&D writing code so Dr. Manhattan's wang dangled appropriately. (Amusingly, it's way bigger in the movie than in the book. :lol:)

Yep from the T-1000, to Dinosaurs to Jar Jar, to Dr Manhattan's schlong the evolution of movie effects. Though some might say Jar Jar and the schlong are one in the same

• Founder / Operator

They got it right.

But what I'm saying is I don't think we'll see that kind of opportunity again for a very long time. Decades, probably.

• Like 2

Academy missed its chance five years ago with TDK.

IMHO, there was nothing close to the quality of TDK in 2008.  Don't get me wrong, Slumdog was good, but imo, TDK just blew everything away that year.  It should have been a Titanic kind of run.  Picture, director, adapted screenplay, best supp actor and so on.

• Like 4

Not really the reader come on some other movie should of been there either TDK or Walle

I'll agree The Reader shouldn't have gotten that spot, but TDK didn't deserve it either. The real snub IMHO was Nolan with Inception. At that point it started to feel like they were snubbing the guy because of jealousy or whatever.

I didn't know the source material beforehand. I saw the movie and thought it was problematic but had some interesting stuff mixed in there. So I picked up the graphic novel... and started realizing that almost every angle, even every edit, at some points, was directly taken -- exactly -- from the book. Snyder was doing his best to literally film every page (while occasionally making some changes, like the end). Yet, in his efforts to put every page on screen, he completely ignored the core theme of the book, which was the anti-heroizing of superheroes, the removal of our collective worship of these larger-than-life people. Some whiff of that gets across in the movie, but Snyder conveniently removes the little rough edges that would make each person more problematic. For example, Rorschach in the movie is basically just this hardcore bad-ass... but in the novel Moore shows that these very traits, pushed to extremes, also lead to xenophobia and racism (Rorschach subscribes to and reads neo-Nazi propaganda newsletters). The whole story is an examination of how profoundly fucked up these people are -- and how they've fucked up our world as well. Yet the movie tosses away most of that for a more conventional superhero story. A more faithful WATCHMEN wouldn't have made nearly the money, but it also could've been a more profound, thoughtful, and thought-provoking film.

A Stanley Kubrick watchmen.

IMHO, there was nothing close to the quality of TDK in 2008.  Don't get me wrong, Slumdog was good, but imo, TDK just blew everything away that year.  It should have been a Titanic kind of run.  Picture, director, adapted screenplay, best supp actor and so on.

While I don't think TDK deserved a nomination, neither did Slumdog. That movie getting 8 Oscars is an absolute joke.

Daredevil is average comic book movie.

The director's cut is a bit better but still very average. Actually now that Marvel has the rights back he might be better served on a tv series

I didn't know the source material beforehand. I saw the movie and thought it was problematic but had some interesting stuff mixed in there. So I picked up the graphic novel... and started realizing that almost every angle, even every edit, at some points, was directly taken -- exactly -- from the book. Snyder was doing his best to literally film every page (while occasionally making some changes, like the end). Yet, in his efforts to put every page on screen, he completely ignored the core theme of the book, which was the anti-heroizing of superheroes, the removal of our collective worship of these larger-than-life people. Some whiff of that gets across in the movie, but Snyder conveniently removes the little rough edges that would make each person more problematic. For example, Rorschach in the movie is basically just this hardcore bad-ass... but in the novel Moore shows that these very traits, pushed to extremes, also lead to xenophobia and racism (Rorschach subscribes to and reads neo-Nazi propaganda newsletters). The whole story is an examination of how profoundly fucked up these people are -- and how they've fucked up our world as well. Yet the movie tosses away most of that for a more conventional superhero story.

A more faithful WATCHMEN wouldn't have made nearly the money, but it also could've been a more profound, thoughtful, and thought-provoking film.

Once again, I disagree with you but you articulate your feelings very well.

Dick.  :P

• Like 4