theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

MIB2 though may be the best comparison for now.

Difference is that MIB 2 was universally less liked than the first so the drop was more understandable. This is more perplexing and I actually think Kung Fu Panda 2 is the more suitable comparison given the circumstances.

Oh... Like scifi films? Anyway Pirates 4 also lost audience as well as The Lost World.

Yep-Pirates is a fantasy but yeah that is what I'm talking about. Matrix 2 waited 4 years but well...yeah...that film had a really huge following with HS students.

It took 4 years for DKR..

Yeah, but it was already hugely successful and there was a spate of successful comic book hero movies. What has been since Trek 09? Most space adventures and sci-fi movies seem to do poorly.

Maybe Paramount should've put a hit out on Cumberbatch ;)

Difference is that MIB 2 was universally less liked than the first so the drop was more understandable. This is more perplexing and I actually think Kung Fu Panda 2 is the more suitable comparison given the circumstances.

I'm talking about the OW. It had a simular one. And yeah KFP2 is a good comparison also.

I've brought up other things also like the core audience is not a rush to see a movie and stuff.

I'm talking about the OW. It had a simular one. And yeah KFP2 is a good comparison also.

I've brought up other things also like the core audience is not a rush to see a movie and stuff.

Slight off topic, but I have a question.

How in God's name did you manage to make 4 freaking hundred posts IN ONE DAY?

Edited by ChD

Hmmm, well they are 2 diffrent types of films. But I can see some comparisons. (Though MOS is a outright reboot with no connection to the old Superman films). I do think some are going too high for MOS, but I can't see it going below 200M. (At least unlike Batman Begins it does not have to deal with the fact that there was a terrible one 8 years earlier)

• Like 1

Slight off topic, but I have a question.

How in God's name did you manage to make 4 freaking hundred posts IN ONE DAY?

You don't want to know :PReally it is me in this thread mostly bringing up some comparisons and other stuff. :lol:

Whenever we have a great box office year it seems the next one is just "okay". Not all the time, but look at 2011 compared to 2010. 2005/2006 compared to 2004.

Hmmm, well they are 2 diffrent types of films. But I can see some comparisons. (Though MOS is a outright reboot with no connection to the old Superman films). I do think some are going too high for MOS, but I can't see it going below 200M. (At least unlike Batman Begins it does not have to deal with the fact that there was a terrible one 8 years earlier)

I think Man of Steel should easily clear 300M... First of all, it has the advantage of Christopher Nolan's name being attached to it, which works brilliantly for marketing. It also looks like a freaking masterpiece, and the TV Spots/Trailers have been amazing. Add the fact that it's 3D and ticket price inflation, and it should easily beat Batman Begins. Also, Superman is far more popular than Batman was, and Batman Begins had Christopher Nolan when he was barely known...

Tracking signals were present and pointing to an underperforming weekend for STID. There was the variety story which said 90M 4 day opening since "First choice" numbers were below 10. And the BTC tracking numbers were stuck at 75M opening for the first 3 weeks before they predicted a 85M 4 day last week. 

I guess everyone here (me included) really wanted this movie to work and hence we predicted 110M+ 4 day (almost everyone predicted this in BSG)