theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

2015 will have two Pixar movies.  You'd think with all their success it would've taken them less than 20 years to start releasing more than 1 film a year.  Dreamworks has been doing it since 2004.

Yeah, but how many of all those Dreamworks movies are really good?

• Like 3

True, although most of them are better than Cars 2, and a lot are even better than  Brave. Especially the recent ones.

Cars 2 might be bad, but I would still take it over 75% of Dreamworks output.

That's probably just me though.

• Like 3

2015 will have two Pixar movies.  You'd think with all their success it would've taken them less than 20 years to start releasing more than 1 film a year.  Dreamworks has been doing it since 2004.

That's why they were successful.

Yeah, but how many of all those Dreamworks movies are really good?

Pixar's overall quality is much better, but I think How To Train Your Dragon stands up to any Pixar movie, including Toy Story

Edited by VanAuger32

Cars 2 might be bad, but I would still take it over 75% of Dreamworks output.

That's probably just me though.

Shrek 3, Shark Tale, and Sinbad are the only DWA movies I like less than Cars 2. Never seen Flushed Away, Over the Hedge, or Bee Movie.

They put a Pirates logo in the middle of the trailer, so I guess Disney marketing is getting the message accross. You got it at least.

LOL Did they? I didn't even notice.

So I just got off work and see this is 137 pages.. Any news or is it still the same meltdown/drama from yesterday???

Same. It will likely just pull over $80M for the 4-day. Something a lot of the fans were saying it would do over just the 3 day.

Pixar's overall quality is much better, but I think How To Train Your Dragon stands up to any Pixar movie, including Toy Story

That is certainly their best effort.  

How to Train Your Dragon, Kung-Fu Panda, Chicken Run, and Antz are the only movies in their catalog of 26 movies that I like. 

Speaking of Cars, ST's performance reminds me of Cars 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2. Both hyped and considered sure things to improve upon the originals.

At least Cars 2 managed to (barely) beat the first one's OW.

That is certainly their best effort. How to Train Your Dragon, Kung-Fu Panda, Chicken Run, and Antz are the only movies in their catalog of 26 movies that I like.

I love the first two Shrek movies too.

That is certainly their best effort.  

How to Train Your Dragon, Kung-Fu Panda, Chicken Run, and Antz are the only movies in their catalog of 26 movies that I like. 

I like those plus The Road to El Dorado, and the first two Shreks.  It's weird, every time I watch Antz it gets funnier.

I never see DWA movie rankings, so just for the hell of it here's mine:

1. How to Train Your Dragon - A+

2. Shrek - A

3. Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit - A

4. Chicken Run - A

5. Kung Fu Panda - A-

6. The Croods - B+

7. Shrek 2 - B+

8. Madagascar 3 - B+

9. Kung Fu Panda 2 - B+

10. The Prince of Egypt - B

11. Puss in Boots - B

12. Megamind - B-

13. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron - B-

14. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - B-

15. Monsters vs Aliens - B-

16. Shrek Forever After - B-

17. Rise of the Guardians - C+

18. Antz - C+

19. Madagascar - C

20. The Road to El Dorado - C-

21. Sinbad - D

22. Shrek the Third - F

23. Shark Tale - F

Like baumer mentioned, it appears ST09 was a one-off. Star Trek was never "big" to begin with.

I just think it can't compete against the juggernauts which is what Paramount hoped for, it'd be doing far better if it wasn't such a crowded month.

I'm not sure Star Trek will ever shake the cerebral/intelligent tag which is sadly just associated with nerdy, space adventures seem to have that vibe outside of Wars.

I wonder if they'll move it back to Christmas? When MI3 didn't do as well as hoped (albeit against far less competition?) they moved MI4 to Christmas...Trek 09 was supposed to be a Christmas release too.