Dementeleus

Man of Steel (2013)

Man of Steel (2013)  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

So, overally this got good reviews on this site. Over half in this poll voted A, and it's better than Ironman3, which is interesting because according to RT the critics thought otherwise.

Well I thought IM3 was better than this movie. Much better. :P

• Like 2

What were the jokes in this movie? I saw it less than 12 hours ago and I can't remember laughing once.I want to ask it the question everyone loves so much, "Why so serious?"

I thought the bar scene was funny. When the guy punched him in the belly and Clark didn't flinch. Also, when the asshole walked out to his truck and saw what Clark had done to it. I laughed again.

I don't think Avengers glossed over the NYC destruction at all. One of my favorite moments in that film is seeing the wall of TV screens with memorials for lost friends/family members and politicians saying the superheros should be held accountable for letting the city be destroyed in the first place. Not to mention that IM3 is largely about Tony Stark recovering from everything that happened in NYC (including his own near-death experience).TDKR and MOS, on the other hand, terrorized Gotham and Metropolis to the point where I couldn't calculate the collateral damage and I didn't really care, either.

Gopher, I see that you're slowly becoming a Marvel fan  :lol:  :P

• Like 1

B+

Man of Steel starts with a great central question for it's character, answers it, and then the bad guy shows up.

The action is fucking amazing...but....it's too epic for an origin story (which should be more personal). As such: Man of Steel makes the mistake of trying to make an origin story while trying to tell a story that can only work after an origin story has laid the foundations for it. It would have been better to have Zod be stuck in the phantom prison in the movie's...first act...and not have him come to Earth until movie 2 or movie 3.

That's the problem with Hollywood now. They want to get to the "good stuff" right away for fear of losing the audience by taking time to set things up. MOS is a remake of Superman I and II the same way that Friday the 13th was a remake of Fridays I-III. Filmmakers need to find the balance between rushing to the exciting parts (which are meaningless without the proper setup) and not dragging things out unnecessarily like a certain Kiwi filmmaker. Surely there's a middle ground? :)

One thing I really noticed last night more than I did during my first screening on Friday: Faora is a total badass. Love how fast she moves. Plus she's hot. ;)

It's the only actress who seems to have a ball playing in a Superman movie just like Sarah Douglas as Ursa. She was fun, badass, merciless and somewhat emotional when she saw Krypton remnants floating into space. I mean she's the only one who is enjoyable all the way through and spared by the choppy script and editing with the few lines and short chracterization she's given. She definetely could have been the bad gal in chief, I wouldn't have mind at all.

(Shannon seems sometimes bored and sleepwalking his role being asked to do his "angry mad man" schtick once again. I still prefer Terence Stamp's disdain and quiet mannerisms. Love the way he acted "Where's this imbecile? Where is he?". His "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!" is still more memorable)

Edited by dashrendar44

Stamp was much better than Shannon. Can't believe I saw some idiots on SHH actually comparing Shannon to Ledger's Joker. Laughable, absolutely laughable comparison.

Stamp is the bomb. That shit's iconic. Shannon not as good but still great.

• Like 1

Stamp was much better than Shannon. Can't believe I saw some idiots on SHH actually comparing Shannon to Ledger's Joker. Laughable, absolutely laughable comparison.

I love Michael Shannon, but this is the truth, couldn't agree more. 

And really, red? The fanboys on SHH did?  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I love Michael Shannon, but this is the truth, couldn't agree more. 

And really, red? The fanboys on SHH did?  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Yep, a few of them were saying it last week. Even watching the trailers I knew they'd be wrong, but once you see the performance in full it becomes an even more laughable comparison. Shannon is forced to play this constantly angry character and sometimes it just doesn't come across very well. Almost cringe-inducing in some scenes. For the most part, however, I did enjoy the intensity he brought to the role.

• Like 3

Well I guess they had different priorities. They didn't focus much at all on the destruction, but they didn't entirely ignore it. Maybe they didn't want to focus so much on the specific human suffering (as opposed to the broad planet-wide implications) as it would be very intense and depressing.

That's nice, except they didn't follow the comics word-for-word. They respected the comics while doing a different take. You should stop assuming what I have or haven't read. More importantly, you should perhaps read up on WHY Goyer and Nolan made some of the choices they did in the film.

Notice how right before Zod died, he had just learned to fly. This was explained by Goyer himself in an interview somewhere, that on Earth Zod and his followers gradually gain power, they aren't super-powered right away.

Also, since Superman has lived on Earth much much longer than Zod and his people, then obviously that makes Superman stronger, and therefore able to kill Zod. It's only common sense if both are superhuman, and Superman is stronger, that Superman would possess the ability to kill Zod. They're superhuman on Earth, but they're not immortal.

I didn't say that now did I, but you're making a great effort putting words into my mouth.

Let me state clearly again, in The Avengers, yes a lot of dialogue WAS cringeworthy. Whedon is a good writer, and he's written some good stuff in the past, but I don't consider The Avengers to be part of that good stuff. It's a solid script in terms of pace and characterization, but the dialogue is nothing special.

Agreed in the comics he killed Zod and the villains too and was disraught about it, he exiled himself.

Such incredible stories and showing who Clark real was was written in the John Byrne and Roger stern and others

era in the 87-90s :). And yes indeed Clark knows how to use his powers better and is indeed stronger

than any 10 kryptonians or more when he takes the fight seriously.  If they explain more of his journies in the next movie, they will proably show that Clark has trained with monks and under a teacher who is connected to Bruce. So he is not only stronger, but has

remarkable fighting skills over his fellow Kryptonians. I loved the risky decision to have Clark break ZOD.

Its what Superman would do if left with no other option. After all Clark didnt hold back against Doomsday either, he knew

its either kill him or Doomsday will not only kill him, but Metropolis and much of the modern day world!

• Like 2