Dementeleus

Man of Steel (2013)

Man of Steel (2013)  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I can't believe anyone ever takes anything from SHH seriously.

Actually, it's a pretty normal forum with many reasonable and level-headed comics fans. It's just that the crazy ones are pretty vocal and offensive, we're just making fun of those really. 

Actually, it's a pretty normal forum with many reasonable and level-headed comics fans. It's just that the crazy ones are pretty vocal and offensive, we're just making fun of those really. 

Yeah, it's usually not too bad. There is some really tedious stuff over there, like 100 page arguments over Spidey's organic webshooters, Joker's lack of permawhite, whether Superman should kill, the Mandarin twist, etc.

But you know, I'm sure many of them find detailed discussions and analysis of box office to be very tedious too.

• Like 1

Michael Shannon was good, but I expected a bit more raging hysterics from him. Antje Traue was solid as Faora, the script didn't give her much but she acquitted herself well. Would have preferred her to be conclusively PZed rather than the ambiguous death/PZ/black hole occurrence that happened.

Would have left it open for something like her being freed in a future Superman film or Justice League by a villain and her joining the villain to seek revenge for Zod's death.

Yep. I had the best experience following XFC there. It was so much fun.

This movie had some flaws  but overall it was good and the critics I think got it wrong.  Man I really suck at writing reviews

I am confused at the lack of humor complaints. There were definitely several moments the audience laughed. I hope they don't feel pressured to add some dopey comedy or nonstop "wittiness" and "one liners" to counter that complaint.

also I am somewhat confused at the complaints that supporting characters don't get enough screentime. I mean this is a Clark Kent/Superman origin story right? So ti makes sense the focus is on him. Both Lois Lane and Jor El had more screentime then I expected. Especially Lois Lane, who I kept hearing wasn't in the movie a lot. What? She was in there quite a bit. Did people want Lois Lane to be the main character over Superman or something? Which is kind of what happened with Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns.

Edited by Robert Muldoon
  • Like 1

This movie had some flaws  but overall it was good and the critics I think got it wrong.  Man I really suck at writing reviews

LOL I do too. But how can you say the critics got it wrong? Most of them say it's worth watching. Over half liked what they saw. Did they get it wrong too? RT is just a horrible system in my opinion. It's fresh raw ratings are cute and all but it realy doesn't give the whole picture of whether or not a film is worth a watch.

• Like 3

LOL I do too. But how can you say the critics got it wrong? Most of them say it's worth watching. Over half liked what they saw. Did they get it wrong too? RT is just a horrible system in my opinion. It's fresh raw ratings are cute and all but it realy doesn't give the whole picture of whether or not a film is worth a watch.

I just don't think it deserves a "rotten" rating. Also I read some of the reviews and some of the complaints IMO are kind of silly

Not to mention that IM3 is largely about Tony Stark recovering from everything that happened in NYC (including his own near-death experience).TDKR and MOS, on the other hand, terrorized Gotham and Metropolis to the point where I couldn't calculate the collateral damage and I didn't really care, either.

Hardly fair to bring a follow up film into it.  Once we see another Nolan Batman and a second MoS, then maybe.  But honestly, I think the scene of Superman's grief after killing Zod is a pretty big hint that this is going to affect him going forward.  Not to mention how perfect a setup for Luthor "Look what this alien menace did to Metropolis!" is.

• Like 2

Superman killing in this movie is like the atomic bomb in WWII. Some say it was needed to end the war full stop. But to what cost? No one would say an atomic bomb is the greatest way to protect human lives and worship it like a symbol of goodness and hope. Yet, at the end, the filmmaker wants to make us think Mankind thanks Superman for all the good and safety he brought upon us. (Even if Metropolis and Smallville downtowns have been leveled out by him and his aliens siblings directly or indirectly). Superman should strike fear and defiance because dropping an atomic bomb is the last way you can resolve a conflict. The aftermath is always dealt with sadness and hope that it never happens anymore. (Interesting that Snyder dealt with this better with Doc Manhattan who is totally how Superman would be seen realistically)

Off topic, did they really morph Cavill's face into Reeve digitally because I (and a lot of people it seems) did see the troubling resemblance when he was flying in the World Engine's beam. I mean during those 2 seconds, I was quite moved imagining Reeve on screen.

Edited by dashrendar44

Superman killing in this movie is like the atomic bomb in WWII. Some say it was needed to end the war full stop. But to what cost? 

The fact that Superman seems to be asking himself this same question is the difference between me loving and hating this film.

I'm also curious about the Reeve thing.  The resemblance is uncanny.  I can't wait to get the film on Blu-ray to slow that scene down and see if I recognize any other Superman actors in there.

• Like 1

You're essentially spot on:

Iron Man Three average rating at rottentomatoes.com - 7.0/6.5

Man Of Steel  average rating at rottentomatoes.com - 6.2/6.2

Iron Man Three score at metacritic.com - 62

Man Of Steel score at metacritic.com - 55

Not much separates 'em. More critics seem to recommend Iron Man Three though... Likely because it didn't leave 'em feeling so somber.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

What do you think about the movie Rallax?

I liked it. But I didn't love it. It's incredibly well made, but so many of the best moments feel like they were written specifically to BE great moments and forgot about everything else that's happened. That's kind of jarring to me.
  • Like 2

I liked it. But I didn't love it. It's incredibly well made, but so many of the best moments feel like they were written specifically to BE great moments and forgot about everything else that's happened. That's kind of jarring to me.

This is where I wonder where all that extra footage ended up.

This was like a stereotypical Marvel movie...

A bit of a mess but quite fun and entertaining in the end. 

The movie started off interesting and then slowed down and got a bit annoying with the choppy editing between the past and present and I was getting a bit upset at the film.

Thankfully Zod comes back really adds to the tension and drama and the film improves dramatically. We get some epic action scenes that were a bit video gameish at time but entertaining. 
The City destruction was fun and showdown with Zod was epic but in the sequel they need to vary the action. Having characters with God Like Powers punching other over and over again is repetitive.
For example the action was epic like Transformers 3 but no where near as entertaining as TF1 or TA.

Last thing I would say about the Superman character that has annoyed me since I was a kid.

Does Superman have indestructible body or does have a big bubble around him, they way he goes through all that with a tear on his shirt or a dirt mark on him is too much and makes Superman not a superhero but more like a God like character. 

Even so Louis Lane was nice and Crowe and Costner did a great job and imo Zod's character carried the film creating a lot of tension. 

First Half 6.5/10, 2nd half 9/10
Overall 7.8
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who enjoyed the first half more than the second? I though the flashbacks were brilliant and the best part of the movie, and all the adult Clark non-Superman stuff blew me away, too. Plus, the first flight and everything was magical. The fight in Smallville was incredible, but the whole bit with the machines and the Zod fight started to lose me a little bit. 

• Like 1

Superman killing in this movie is like the atomic bomb in WWII. Some say it was needed to end the war full stop. But to what cost? No one would say an atomic bomb is the greatest way to protect human lives and worship it like a symbol of goodness and hope. Yet, at the end, the filmmaker wants to make us think Mankind thanks Superman for all the good and safety he brought upon us. (Even if Metropolis and Smallville downtowns have been leveled out by him and his aliens siblings directly or indirectly). Superman should strike fear and defiance because dropping an atomic bomb is the last way you can resolve a conflict. The aftermath is always dealt with sadness and hope that it never happens anymore. (Interesting that Snyder dealt with this better with Doc Manhattan who is totally how Superman would be seen realistically)

Off topic, did they really morph Cavill's face into Reeve digitally because I (and a lot of people it seems) did see the troubling resemblance when he was flying in the World Engine's beam. I mean during those 2 seconds, I was quite moved imagining Reeve on screen.

:blink::wacko:  WHAT?

Did you seriously JUST compare the ATOMIC BOMB in World War 2 to a moment in a completely fictitious film?

Boy, you really are off the deep end there.