#ED

Wknd Est: MU - 46.1M; The Heat - 40M; WWZ - 29.8M; WHD - 25.7M; MoS - 20.8M; (pg 104)

How does it need 280 million WW to be a success? 100 million budget needs around 220 million to be a success right? 

I don't think a film is given a 100 million dollar budget if they are only counting on theatrical grosses.  Grown Ups probably sold very well on HV, cable and Downlaods.  So the theatrical gross is one thing but they are obviously making the films with more revenue streams in mind than theatrical.

How was the marketing bad for WHD? I saw the trailer with nearly every movie so far this summer. I really think people use "bad marketing" as a crutch when trying to explain away disappointing performances. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

Well, that sucks for WHD. I will say though, I honestly can barely remember seeing any tv spots for it this last week or so. Pretty poor marketing effort on Sony's part. Great for The Heat. I like SB so I'm glad when a movie of hers does well. Waiting for some MU and MOS numbers.

How was the marketing bad for WHD? I saw the trailer with nearly every movie so far this summer. I really think people use "bad marketing" as a crutch when trying to explain away disappointing performances. 

Green Lantern was at just about every PG-13 film I saw in early 2011, you can't say bad marketing for that even if it had a disappointing performance.

Nobody saying he is but you acting like he didnt open 3 movies last year. He eventually get there tho.

Magic Mike is the only one he "opened." The Vow had a perfect release date and 21 Jump Street had brand recognition, a funny trailer, and good WOM. 

• Like 1

With an $18m OD, The Heat could definitely make its way to a $50m opening.

If The Heat opens to 18 mill, then if it follows the Proposal, it will make 48 mill OW.

Outside of the playoffs, TV advertising was pretty damn weak. 

I've always maintained that TV advertising plays a relatively small role in getting people into theaters. Except for the Super Bowl. That's the only time people give a shit about commercials. 

I've always maintained that TV advertising plays a relatively small role in getting people into theaters. Except for the Super Bowl. That's the only time people give a shit about commercials. 

I think that's utterly ridiculous. 

• Like 2

He was just lucky.

So right now based on your logic, McCarthy is lucky too.  After all, she has anchored two films to big numbers.  When she inevitably has a box office disappointment, I'll be sure to remind you that she was lucky with IT and TH.

Tatum was not lucky.  One disappointment doesn't take away from the other four he had a hand in.

• Like 5

So right now based on your logic, McCarthy is lucky too.  After all, she has anchored two films to big numbers.  When she inevitably has a box office disappointment, I'll be sure to remind you that she was lucky with IT and TH.

Tatum was not lucky.  One disappointment doesn't take away from the other four he had a hand in.

I was just saying he was lucky to be in those films.

(And its funny since everyone was saying Smiths career was over a few weeks ago because of one bomb)

• Like 2

OHF had a million tv spots. I hardly say anything for WHD. Granted I hardly watch tv but I saw more on OHF than i did for WHD

He was lucky. McCarthy on the other hand is officially a draw. 

• Like 1