#ED

Wknd Est: MU - 46.1M; The Heat - 40M; WWZ - 29.8M; WHD - 25.7M; MoS - 20.8M; (pg 104)

I know black people, ok just 3-4, that will correct you if you say they are African-American. 

They and several generations were born in America and for equality sake they are as American as anyone.

One even said it's insulting, Africa is full of dictators, disease, degenerates and he's not associated with that legacy. I was even pointed to a statement Whoopie Goldberg made. May be part of what formed that thought.

I'm Black, not African-American.

• Like 2

I know black people, ok just 3-4, that will correct you if you say they are African-American. 

They and several generations were born in America and for equality sake they are as American as anyone.

One even said it's insulting, Africa is full of dictators, disease, degenerates and he's not associated with that legacy. I was even pointed to a statement Whoopie Goldberg made. May be part of what formed that thought.

That is strange.

In France, it's even weirder most people use the english word "black" in french common language, not "noir".

"Hier soir, j'ai rencontré un Black dans un bar."

"Hey, last night I met that black (guy) at the bar."

Ahhh...I never bothered to find out what "noir" means before.  (For "Film Noir")  Thanks.

I now this past weekend but since White House Down crashed and the heat did well 17 years ago this past weekend nutty professor another comedy film with a then funny Eddie Murphy,and then striptease a film with a then known actress Demi Moore

I'm Black and that's how I self-identify most readily. It's not a matter of rejecting the  "African" designation, but more a matter of embracing cultural and national identity. For my parents and grandparents, "Colored" or "Negro" was the accepted word. It changed through generations and for very good reason in some cases. I just find the term African American rather redundant and unnecessary, though I use it sometimes because it's so common. 

A few months ago I found my maternal grandfather in the 1900 census, with "Color or Race" given as B. That's fine by me.  :)

• Like 1