CJohn

Wednesday Numbers | Despicable Me 2 - 34M | The Lone Ranger - 9.67M | Kevin Hart - 4.9M

Also sold out showings seem to be more likely when there are less times (duh) and if on smaller screens.

so true

7pm in 200 seater might have sold out but the 8pm in 800 seater might not but they might have sold 700 seats say  and regardless the volume of sessions may negate sold out's. Its all a combination of sessions times and seating capacities

one example MOS playing at a theatre two cinemas seating roughly 400 each one seating over 800, the two 400's did have sells out or close to but the bigger capacity one never went close to selling out

• Like 1

so true

7pm in 200 seater might have sold out but the 8pm in 800 seater might not but they might have sold 700 seats say  and regardless the volume of sessions may negate sold out's. Its all a combination of sessions times and seating capacities

one example MOS playing at a theatre two cinemas seating roughly 400 each one seating over 800, the two 400's did have sells out or close to but the bigger capacity one never went close to selling out

Yeah-for example I noticed that at the big theater out here I didn't see any sellouts, but at a smaller theater I saw some sellouts for DM2 and TLR.

I've noticed this sometimes, even with reserved seating. You'll see a show sell out (and be marked as such); ten minutes later it might suddenly have available seats again, then change back to selling out later. When I did my first midnight tracking report it drove me nuts originally because you'd have an indicated sellout, then (randomly) it wouldn't be one anymore.

Yep in that example would be probably either

1-there was an online allocation seperate to theatre direct and theatre decided to allocate more to online

2-online direct link to POS but the theatre seats 400 but they are going to do a sell out at 350, but for whatever reason decide they will allow 30 more seats availabe so online switches from nearly SO or SO to i have availalbility again .

Ever been to a live show that had indicated limited or no seats and then at some point more seats become availalbe (some form of held seats being reallocated in a nutshell).

Known example of say a concert, people buy when tickets intially go onsale and get stuck 25 rows back, but then someone who bought tickets a hour later, 5 hours later, 2weeks later gets seats 10 rows from front (whatever those seats were 10 rows from front came from previous  not for sale pool)

Edited by Rth

WEDNESDAY 6:30 PM, 4TH UPDATE: There’s no question that Illumination Entertainment’s and Universal’s Despicable Me 2 (3,957 theaters) will gross over $100 million domestic for the five-day July 4th holiday. Right now, based on matinee trends, the toon should open to $33M-$35M which is “an incredible start” according to a Uni exec. By contrast, Disney’s expensive The Lone Ranger (3,904 theaters) is underperforming with $$13M-15M today: that means the Jerry Bruckheimer actioner may not even pass $60M for its first 5 days. That’s below even Disney’s low-ball projection. And Kevin Hart’s Let Me Explain from Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment is looking to gross a solid $3M-$4M from only 876 dates today. More later.

Quite a drop for Kevin Hart from earlier.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

When its not reserved  theatres often go sold out with as many seats as what front row and maybe 2nd row seat, so if say thats 20 seats and theatre seats 400 they may go SO at 380(even with this type of policy at the BO they may decide to tell people that if they want tickets they could potentially be stuck in front row depending on where the 380 other people decided to sit and do they still want a ticket)

That is exactly what we do.  20 is our magic number.

• Like 2