Biggestgeekever

Wkend #s: 82.5 DM2, 29.4 TFR, 25 Heat, 19.6 MU

Despicable Me is the closest thing to a great movie they've produced but still not great per say. Illumination is building itself up as a brand-name like Pixar is. Audiences are starting to trust them.

They only have one concept with Gru/Minions. Let's see if they can prove themselves beyond the title of "another one hit wonder."

LORAX is based on a previously published work, a popular one. Pixar is all original stuff, folks. They have been an inspiration to many animation houses in Hollywood. And they have been making animations for almost 20 years. Consistency, something that Illumination needs to show.

• Like 1

I think DM2 will hold on next weekend:

1. DM2: $53.5 million (no competition and good WOM = 35% drop)

2. GU2: $48 million (no PG-13 comedies = a rebound for Adam Sandler)

3. Pacific Rim: $42.5 million (plenty of genre movies over last few weeks = mid-level opening)

4. Monsters U: $16.5 million (no competition + good WOM = some Pixar legs after DM2's death blow)

5. The Heat: $14 million (no female competition + good WOM = average hold)

6. LR: $12.5 million (60% drop + more competition next 2 weeks = at least it'll do better than John Carter :lol: )

7. WWZ: $8 million (Nice hold this weekend but Pacific Rim = crash and burn)

8. MoS: $6 million (family audiences negate Pacific Rim so an average drop)

9. Kevin Hart: $4 million (5-day weekend rush + GU2 = front-loaded much? :P )

10. This is the End: $3 million (GU2 = the end of its run)

They only have one concept with Gru/Minions. Let's see if they can prove themselves beyond the title of "another one hit wonder."

LORAX is based on a previously published work, a popular one. Pixar is all original stuff, folks. They have been an inspiration to many animation houses in Hollywood. And they have been making animations for almost 20 years. Consistency, something that Illumination needs to show.

But they aren't one hit wonders? Hop and The Lorax were big commercial hits.

• Like 1

Turbo wont make much of a dent. Smurfs is far enough away that it wont matter.

Turbo trailer bored me so much. Is Dreamworks believing in that one?

Smurf2: indeed. Then i won't talk about Planes! ^_^

Is 400 million locked with the 140 million opening?

300M is locked.Depends on weekend gross.80M Weekend with a 3.5x = 280M + 59M(Weds+Thurs) = 339M
  • Like 1

No way TLR drops 60%. Those who have seen it like it and its not a sequel. And i dont think DM2 WILL drop that softly.

DM> TS easily imo.

No... just no... aside from the zany humor, the Minions, and Agnes, Despicable Me has nothing on Toy Story, Nemo, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, WALL-E, or Up- I'll give you Cars, A Bug's Life (it's equal to Despicable Me in quality), Brave, Cars 2, Monsters U (DM2 does look a little better)  and Ratatouille (not intriguing enough) though

300M is locked.Depends on weekend gross.80M Weekend with a 3.5x = 280M + 59M(Weds+Thurs) = 339M

But shouldn't the Wednesday and THurday factor into the multiplier. Like a 3 times multiplier off 140 is 420 or does it not work that way. 

But they were bad movies lol. And the Lorax was based on a book.

Most (90%) of Pixar films are shit too.

Is 400 million locked with the 140 million opening? 

I say no.

By the way, wouldn't the same sentence about a live-action movie OW (fri-sat-sun) get laughs and laughs? :ph34r:

Edited by Gideon

No... just no... aside from the zany humor, the Minions, and Agnes, Despicable Me has nothing on Toy Story, Nemo, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, WALL-E, or Up- I'll give you Cars, A Bug's Life (it's equal to Despicable Me in quality), Brave, Cars 2, Monsters U (DM2 does look a little better)  and Ratatouille (not intriguing enough) though

Pixar is horrible. They have fooled all of u into thinking they make good films.