RyneOh1040

Wednesday Numbers (TMI DOA w/$3m opening)

with fishnets gone, there should be a lot less of that now!

Not really.  Fish hated some but there are many others here who think that because The Way Way Back didn't make 75 mill that AnnaSophia Robb's career is done.

Not really.  Fish hated some but there are many others here who think that because The Way Way Back didn't make 75 mill that AnnaSophia Robb's career is done.

Paranoia was dumped.  It doesn't matter who you put in a film, if you don't promote it properly, it's going to tank.  Hemsworth had nothing to do with that failure.  If he was responsible for it failing then he must be given credit for Expendables 2 doing more than 300 mill WW.

• Like 1

Paranoia was sold on Hemsworth name.

Big deal.  Why would anyone assume he is a draw right now?  Same with Collins.  What have they possibly done to make anyone thingkthat people would go to see a film because of them?

Big deal.  Why would anyone assume he is a draw right now?  Same with Collins.  What have they possibly done to make anyone thingkthat people would go to see a film because of them?

Blame the studio (which is Relativity a somewhat lesser studio), cause they obviously thought that the movie could succeed on his name.

Blame the studio (which is Relativity a somewhat lesser studio), cause they obviously thought that the movie could succeed on his name.

I don't think they did.  Why would they think that?  Again, they probably cast him because when he read for the part he was the best one for their vision.  Do you really think the part was handed to him?

I don't think they did.  Why would they think that?  Again, they probably cast him because when he read for the part he was the best one for their vision.  Do you really think the part was handed to him?

My comment had nothing to do with him being casted, it had to do with the studio using his name on the marketing. They could have just as easily as marketed the film without any names, and I still think it would have made exactly as much as it did.

Thats kinda idealistic baumer. Sometimes actors are cast for cynical reasons rather than them fitting the makers vision. In 2012 everyone was sure Liam Hemsworth would be hot stuff with girls, so they thought casting him in Paranoia would bring in that audience.

My comment had nothing to do with him being casted, it had to do with the studio using his name on the marketing. They could have just as easily as marketed the film without any names, and I still think it would have made exactly as much as it did.

Thats kinda idealistic baumer. Sometimes actors are cast for cynical reasons rather than them fitting the makers vision. In 2012 everyone was sure Liam Hemsworth would be hot stuff with girls, so they thought casting him in Paranoia would bring in that audience.

But why would any studio think Hemsworth is a draw?  He's done nothing to support that thought.  Chris might be viewed as being a draw but not Liam.  And they didn't give him the role so he could sell the movie.  Thinking they did means that again, there is too much myopia here.

But why would any studio think Hemsworth is a draw?  He's done nothing to support that thought.  Chris might be viewed as being a draw but not Liam.  And they didn't give him the role so he could sell the movie.  Thinking they did means that again, there is too much myopia here.

Liam is probably coasting on his brother’s success.

It only needs to make between 80 to 90 million overseas in order to break even, and its fantasy element could help it.

Also 42 million isn't unrealistic if it does make 15 million over the five-day period (not saying it will, just my prediction).

there is no reason for it to do that much OS. 

Beautiful creatures and Host all did sub 40m OS.

Liam is probably coasting on his brother’s success.

I just don't think that's how it works.  People get into the business and then they get lucky if they have one big hit.  What made Mark Wahlberg a success early on?  His biggest hit before Three Kings was The Big Hit.  Should we have written him off then?  Was he coasting on anyone's success?  

Take any random actor.  Dennis Quaid for example.  He was supposed to be in a massive hit in 1989, Great Balls of Fire. it was Orion's tentpole that summer.  It tanked and it obviously killed Quaid's career...right?

WRONG.  

Some 40 movies later Quaid is still making movies.  ACtors don't live and die by one film.  

• Like 2

the schaddenfreude is quite heavy , i don't understand the glee at seeing YA movies failed

there are all kind of audiences out there to which different movies cater

all those who are huge fans of the hunger games how would you feel if the movie had been a dud, personally i don't like it but i'm not harping on it either to fail 

anyhoo i'll just stay away  from this thread , will review the movie when i see it next weekend i think it comes out here on the 29 ! and i certainly hope they stand their ground and do the sequel, the writing wasnt all that in the book but the story was very compelling

i just wish they'd give more thought to fleshing out these YA movies because there is potential and maybe give them more budget so some wouldnt be laughing at the special effects