RyneOh1040

Wednesday Numbers (TMI DOA w/$3m opening)

Poor sony can't catch a break, they only had bombs this year, am I right?

Grown Ups 2 is their only movie which has made over $100 million domestically and it cost $80 million so while not everything has bombed, they haven't had a big hit to offset the bombs.

:rolleyes:

Its budget is only 60 million. It'll probably make 15 million over the five-day period and a final gross of about 42 million. Add in overseas, and this film will probably break even.

You really think it's going to have such a good multiplier for a YA adaptation?

Kevin Zegers is doing a contest where fans who see TMI 4 times get a phone call from him. The desperation is embarrassing.

Who's currently being more embarassing, Gaga or Sony with MI?

I don't get acting like if this barely breaks even that's enough of a success to justify a sequel. Did we not just see what happened when Percy Jackson tried that? If audiences aren't buying it now they're not going to buy it in 2 years when the plot probably gets even more convoluted.And this had a monster promo. They had basically Twi/THG level international premieres, mall tours, lots of tv spots. Sony had to have shelled out a lot.

I don't think MI is the kind of series that's going to pick up a significant fanbase after the theatrical release and considering the reviews have complained heavy exposition of mythology in the first movie, are people not familiar with the first movie or book able to watch the second one and understand what's going on? 

I started reading HP with PoA and that wasn't a problem, but not all book series really allow you to do this.

Lilly Collins and Liam Hemsworth are not draws and will have no career:  They are young and the films they are in are not being sold on their name.  I couldn't tell you two films Collins has been in and I follow film more than 99% of the people out there. People are not basing their decision to see or not see MI because of Collins.  They didn't choose her to star in it because she's a draw, they chose her because she read the best and fit the producer's vision for what the character should look and act like.  Those of you who say that actors careers are dead because of one film not breaking out are being myopic. Shame on you.

Paranoia was dumped.  It doesn't matter who you put in a film, if you don't promote it properly, it's going to tank.  Hemsworth had nothing to do with that failure.  If he was responsible for it failing then he must be given credit for Expendables 2 doing more than 300 mill WW.

Being able to carry a movie is not only about the ability to draw butts to seats but also to be able to engage the audience as the lead character which is something that all the reviews I've seen say Liam was unable to do. If you are the lead character in a movie, you really need to have that elusive 'it' -charisma, likability, magnetism. Jennifer Lawrence wasn't a draw before Hunger Games but she was personable and engaging during the promotional tour, becoming a tumblr star. She was also able to carry the movie, get great reviews for her role and made the audience to like her and Katniss. That is the key to carrying a movie these days instead of just drawing people in with her name like it was before internet became widespread. Taylor Kitcsh failed as a big movie lead not just because his movies didn't make money but also because he failed to leave an impression. Tom Cruise made an impression with Top Gunn, Julia Roberts with Pretty Woman, Will Smith with Independence Day, Sandra Bullock with Speed and Jennifer Lawrence with Hunger Games. That's what separates movie stars from the wannabe ones. 

Liam Hemsworth will continue to get roles in Hollywood because he's a good looking, white and male but he doesn't yet have the talent and charisma to carry bigger movies by himself. Maybe some day but not yet.

• Like 2

Hollywood will probably try and make Hemsworth happen for a couple more years before they give up. Paranoia didn't kill his career but it won't last long. Dude doesn't have the presence to keep it up. He reminds me of Josh Hartnett. 

That's not a good multiplier, I'm including the Wednesday and Thursday numbers, because the same thing happened to Percy Jackson and The Lone Ranger.

Maybe a final gross of 30 million would be more appropriate?

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

Grown Ups 2 is their only movie which has made over $100 million domestically and it cost $80 million so while not everything has bombed, they haven't had a big hit to offset the bombs.

Who's currently being more embarassing, Gaga or Sony with MI?

I don't think MI is the kind of series that's going to pick up a significant fanbase after the theatrical release and considering the reviews have complained heavy exposition of mythology in the first movie, are people not familiar with the first movie or book able to watch the second one and understand what's going on? 

I started reading HP with PoA and that wasn't a problem, but not all book series really allow you to do this.

Being able to carry a movie is not only about the ability to draw butts to seats but also to be able to engage the audience as the lead character which is something that all the reviews I've seen say Liam was unable to do. If you are the lead character in a movie, you really need to have that elusive 'it' -charisma, likability, magnetism. Jennifer Lawrence wasn't a draw before Hunger Games but she was personable and engaging during the promotional tour, becoming a tumblr star. She was also able to carry the movie, get great reviews for her role and made the audience to like her and Katniss. That is the key to carrying a movie these days instead of just drawing people in with her name like it was before internet became widespread. Taylor Kitcsh failed as a big movie lead not just because his movies didn't make money but also because he failed to leave an impression. Tom Cruise made an impression with Top Gunn, Julia Roberts with Pretty Woman, Will Smith with Independence Day, Sandra Bullock with Speed and Jennifer Lawrence with Hunger Games. That's what separates movie stars from the wannabe ones. 

Liam Hemsworth will continue to get roles in Hollywood because he's a good looking, white and male but he doesn't yet have the talent and charisma to carry bigger movies by himself. Maybe some day but not yet.

You conveniently forget that Tom Cruise, Will Smith Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock all had lengthy careers before making it big with the films you mention.  This is just more myopia.  Why wasn't Mystic Pizza a bigger film?  What about Demolition Man?  How about Made in America, Six Degrees of Separation?  All the Right Moves, Legend.  You dont' just throw an actor in a film and expect it to do well.  There's much more to it than that.

When Roberts had her first starring role on her name alone, Dying Young, it bombed terribly.  The film has to be interesting as well.  It's not just about the actor.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 3

You conveniently forget that Tom Cruise, Will Smith Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock all had lengthy careers before making it big with the films you mention.  This is just more myopia.  Why wasn't Mystic Pizza a bigger film?  What about Demolition Man?  How about Made in America, Six Degrees of Separation?  All the Right Moves, Legend.  You dont' just throw an actor in a film and expect it to do well.  There's much more to it than that.

Demolition Man was a star vehicle for Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes (Stallone was a big star in 1993), and it made money at the box office.

Made in America also made money at the box office, and it was a star vehicle for Whoopi Goldberg (kinda ironic that both films opened on the same day).

Not very good examples IMO.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

I just don't think that's how it works. People get into the business and then they get lucky if they have one big hit. What made Mark Wahlberg a success early on? His biggest hit before Three Kings was The Big Hit. Should we have written him off then? Was he coasting on anyone's success? Take any random actor. Dennis Quaid for example. He was supposed to be in a massive hit in 1989, Great Balls of Fire. it was Orion's tentpole that summer. It tanked and it obviously killed Quaid's career...right?WRONG. Some 40 movies later Quaid is still making movies. ACtors don't live and die by one film.

Elisabeth Berkley says hi ! Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Demolition Man was a star vehicle for Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes, and it made money at the box office.

Made in America also made money at the box office, and it was a star vehicle for Whoopi Goldberg (kinda ironic that both films opened on the same day).

And Liam Hemsworth has about as much drawing power right now as Smith and Bullock did back then.  He's a nobody right now.  He is only known slightly by most of the film going public.  No one is going to see a film because he's in it.

Sony's doing fine. Here are their 2013 releases so far:

The Call - 51m WW, 13m budget (profitable theatrically)

Evil Dead - 97m WW, 17m budget (profitable theatrically)

After Earth - 243m WW, 130m budget (slight loss theatrically)

TITE - 97m WW, 32m budget (profitable theatrically)

White House Down - 131m WW, 150m budget (big loss theatrically)

Grown Ups 2 - 172m WW (to date), 80m budget (profitable theatrically)

Smurfs 2 - 205m WW (to date), 105m budget (will be profitable theatrically)

Elysium - 98m WW (to date), 115m acquisition budget (will probably break even theatrically)

• Like 4

And Liam Hemsworth has about as much drawing power right now as Smith and Bullock did back then.  He's a nobody right now.  He is only known slightly by most of the film going public.  No one is going to see a film because he's in it.

No, but two of the examples you used weren’t very good, since those movies weren’t even promoted with Smith or Bullock’s names.

Sony's doing fine. Here are their 2013 releases so far:

The Call - 51m WW, 13m budget (profitable theatrically)

Evil Dead - 97m WW, 17m budget (profitable theatrically)

After Earth - 243m WW, 130m budget (slight loss theatrically)

TITE - 97m WW, 32m budget (profitable theatrically)

White House Down - 131m WW, 150m budget (big loss theatrically)

Grown Ups 2 - 172m WW (to date), 80m budget (profitable theatrically)

Smurfs 2 - 205m WW (to date), 105m budget (will be profitable theatrically)

Elysium - 98m WW (to date), 115m acquisition budget (will probably break even theatrically)

Isn't After Earth still on theaters OS?

I think there's a difference in working your way up with a mix of solid performers/bombs, and in being heralded as the next big thing and repeatedly not catching on with the public. Right now I think Liam Hemsworth is in that first category and lily Collins is in the second. It's not that she has this ONE failure. It's that it's been years of trying to make her an IT Girl and no one's buying it. I do think the number of offers she's been getting are about to drop hard.

Pretty much.Smurfs will maybe saved by os & the verdict is still out on elysium.But yeah they had a horrid summer.

Sony will have a better fall/xmas

--Cloudy, Carrie, Captain Phillips, American Hustle, Monuments Men should all do good business for them.